computer question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jt money, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

so i got comcast 8mbs cable internet and my pc has 2 AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processors 4200+, 2GB PC2-4200 DDR SDRAM. uploading never gets higher than 40KB/s when doing any kind of uploads. i dont have any instant messanger programs running or p2p or torrent that would slow the up speed. any ideas on what could be slowing me down?

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

the 8mb/s is download only. Upload is normally capped to 384-512kb/s. That means that the upload speed is right. Download speeds should be near the 1MB/s area though assuming the server can feed you info that fast.

3. jt money

oh ok. so it is runnin as fast as it can. yeah i only see around 900KB/s on the dl.

4. gte123v

gte123v Member

Edited: yeah, that sounds right.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  5. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well thats the right speed. They rate the speeds in KiloBITS/s. But most programs and OS's report KiloBYTES/s. I takes 8 bits to equal 1 byte. To get the number of bytes/s from bits/s divide the bits number by 8 and you will find out how many bytes it is.

6. gte123v

gte123v Member

yeah, I missed the lower case kb/s part, my mistake.

7. Trey

Trey Active Member

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

900k/s = 7200 kb/s

sounds right.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Awesome connection and pc JT. You need RAID 0 too!

10. jt money

thanks. where do i get raid. i read what it does but how do i do it?

11. flip

flip Member

Yah, you can't do anything about those upload speeds unless you were to get a business account or something... That has nothing to do with the speed of your pc, just the rate limiting they have on our connections... sucks...

12. jt money

i agree

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

raid = get 2 sata super fast hdds set up a raid.

they'll be superfaster

14. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I never get higher than 30kb, and it slows down my connection so badly. I hate Charter and their limiting uploads. I wish I could get FIOS, or had the money for t1.

15. jayj713

jayj713 Member

roughly how much is T1 per month?

16. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

if you have to ask then you can't afford it lol
    ;)

17. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I have seen T1's as low as 500 and as high as 1000...why would you want a T1?. Verizon actually has a half of a T1 which is very fast for a reasonable price. My mom in MD uses VZ DSL...Good Luck...

Mark

18. jayj713

jayj713 Member

just dreaming ;)

19. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I'll do the same :)

20. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I want a T1 or fiber(can get it in Gainesville if you know where to look) cause your guaranteed those speeds. T1 is 1.5mb/1.5mb and unless the line goes down your going to get those speeds. With DSL or cable your speeds with vary depending on how many people are on, how loaded down the cables are, etc.

21. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I think the dsl speeds are garunteed, ( with BellSouth) but you my not be able to get symmetrical upload and download speeds.

22. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member