Modding and value of cars.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsvwrx, Aug 18, 2006.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

We all love to mod our cars...

and im sure we all realize that our cars will prob loose a crap load of value just casue we put a tbe on. not to mention a stg2 reflash
    is this something we have all taken in to consideration?

im sure my stg 2 setup jsut lost me 2k on my car.

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

I wouldn't say that they lose value. I don't think that the market price of the car is going to drop due to modding. It's just that adding the mods isn't going to make the value increase as much as you paid for the mod (you're never going to get all your money back from the mods when selling the car). That's why so many people part out their aftermarket parts. It's not because people pay less for a modded car. It's because they will make more money selling the mods individually than they would as a whole on the car.

Or at least that's my understanding of it. I don't think your car went down 2k in value. But the tbe probably didn't make it go up either. Plus, you can always take her back to stock before you sell. This might be dishonest if you were running unsafe mods for a period of time (ie ridiculous boost), but with a stage 2 there isn't anything harmful to the car.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I just turned my 03' bugeye into classic and they were all excited about the mods, using them as a selling point(you can look at my car for sale at classicatlanta.com)... They list the mods on the site and are charging 21K for it... So I think its prolly hit or miss with the mods.

4. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

well with my car, if you sell it to average joe, i'd get hosed
    if I sell it to an enthuestiast, a high school punk that wants to drift w/mommies money, etc. I'll get a good price.
    if you know where to sell it, you can get more then you think.
    the bluebook on my car is less then half what I COULD get for it

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I got my car for dirt cheap considering the mods. It was 15K 2 years ago with stage 4 plus a high stall torque converter, maybe 33K on the clock.

Mods definately will not add to the value of a car and more often they will reduce the value since they indicate wear and tear on the car.

6. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

now that WRX's and STI's and Subarus in general have a better standing I can see them being a car that sells for above book.
    A lot of people are just starting to "trust" subaru again, and lots had the impression in the late 80s/early 90s that they were mait. nightmares. I'll look in my stack of mags from 98/99 and see if I can find the bit on that. They are one of the most reognized (and trusted I might add) names in safety, reliability, and performance now.
    I personally consider the bug eyes a modern classic already.

7. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

When did Subaru's have the rep for being maint nightmares, and what were the clamied issues? Generally speaking I've always known their vehicles to reliable.

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

With the right buyer it MIGHT help. Overall I would never consider modding to increase value at all; it cracks me up when I see people take blue book for their car and then add MSRP for all their mad tyte modzzzzz on top of it for the asking price.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Exactly, sell to the target market to reap the benefits otherwise you're SOL ;)

10. I think it depends on the vehicle and what mods and quality of install.If the owner is young and the car looks thrashed then prob. less $.However you can fake em out if the owner is older and the car is well kept.People that know me think I am a little nutty when it comes to taking care of my car but they usu. last and are in great shape(the car not the people)..Sometimes depending on the mods.it night make more sense to put car back to stock and sell off parts or use on newer car..

11. blink

blink Member

Modding can hurt your car (and your wallet) in a couple of ways, lowers value no matter the quality of the mods, and your insurace can deny you compensation, if the car has been altered since it was insured.

12. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

well, i dont think they can disqualify your coverage completely unless they can prove the car was not 'road worthy.'

but if you got a modded exhaust, and get rear ended, they won't cover the modded parts unless the original insurance binder was issued with it noted. Almost all coverage is relegated to OEM coverage.

btw, I like your av, blink

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

btw, I like your av, blink

14. blink

blink Member

thank you, friend of mine got me into logo designs, awhile back.