Turbo making funny noise?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by SykoSooby, Sep 8, 2006.

1. SykoSooby

SykoSooby New Member

I drove around for about 3 weeks with a massive exhaust leak comming from the UP that i bought from ebay, the UP broke at the flexpipe. I put my stock UP back on yesterday and now my car is making a wierd noise. It sounds like a belt squealing but it only happens at half to full throttle at 4k and up. I hope its not the bearings inside the turbo. The car runs fine if i dont give it full throttle. It still boost up to 18psi where I set it. I can pop the hood and rev it to redline and it doesnt make any noise, it only makes noise when im under load, ya know, moving. And I noticed some oil on the turbo, right between the hot and cold compressor housing, so I tighten up the oil line fitting but it was already tight. What do yall think is wrong with my SUBY?:wtc:

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I'm betting an exhaust leak.

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup..if it sounds like a kitten is getting tortured in your engine bay its an uppipe leak..have fun with it..get next to people with thier windows down and hit full boost and watch the reactions :rofl: thats what i did when my uppie was leaking

4. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

ROFLMAO...Pita ever catch up to you?!?

5. SykoSooby

SykoSooby New Member

NO, I just fixed the exhaust leak by putting the stock Uppipe back on. Now its making a squealing noise at half to full throttle, and at 4k and up.

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

that may be the leak

7. Weapon

yes..that is an uppipe leak..you will have to take it all apart again to fix it

8. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I know its easy to have the EGT sensor back out and cause an exhaust leak. That little bolt that holds it in sucks.

9. SykoSooby

SykoSooby New Member

NOOOOOOO. I just fixed the leak, I put my stock pipe back on. Now the car is squealing at 5psi and up, and at half to full throttle, The damn exhaust is not leaking anymore. It making a really funny noise like a belt squealing.

10. SykoSooby

SykoSooby New Member

I know what an exhaust leak sounds like. but what does a bad turbo sound like? And what does bad bearings in the turbo sound like?

11. SykoSooby

SykoSooby New Member

You can hear an exhaust leak at Idle, My probelm is in a specific RPM and boost range. I dont know if its my turbo bearings squealing. I have to be in gear and moving to hear the noise. I can take it all the way to redline and hear no noise if I stay under 5 psi, but if i go beyond that, it squeals like hell. Does anybody with REAL turbo knoledge know what my problem is?

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

error.

13. Weapon

im telling you its your uppipe leaking