Hacked! (and other tid bits)

Discussion in 'Community Announcements & News' started by Alex, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Greetings :wavey:

In case you have not figured this out, WRXatlanta.com has been down for a few days due to a recent hacking (attempts) and successes.

I was away on vacation for my birthday (of all occassions) when I stepped out of my tent to check my voicemail..."Your inbox is full, first message: Website has been bunked!" Much to my dismay, I decided to return home early and try and troubleshoot this so we all could have that little bit of joy back at work (shh, I know you browse at work).

I digress, what the script kiddies succeeded at accomplishing was a erasing anything that was a *index or *main file. Virtually, the vb.bleh was wiped. Luckily, the database (or what remains of it) remained intact. Naturally, they chose to bruteforce in during the host's backup, so the most recent were corrupt. More importantly, I feel the issue most prudent to address is the defacing they accomplished. The Administration team of WRXatlanta.com in no means was responsible for the messages they put forth. There has been talk on other subaru forums that this a deliberate attempt on our behalf to extend our opinions on the current war between Isreal and Pakistan (and more likely the current discussions of a cease fire). I cannot stress this enough; the message(s) displayed on our homepage(s) were not those of our team.

Continuing, I am still working on the forums and have been for the last 24+ hours. If bits and pieces are not functional, they will be fixed. If you happen to stumble upon something, please post it within this thread and THIS thread only. I will be checking in periodically for them. I have moved us to vbulletin 3.6, and will be updating the modifications Ive installed at somepoint soon (ie garage, etc, etc).

To make up for all of this, I will go ahead and install a few new goodies as well :)

As always, thank you for the support and keep up the great membership. We are well on our way to 1000 members!

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2006
  2. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I know that hurts,

Has the expoit been fixed or was this a vbulletin 3.5 issue and the reason why you are upgrading to 3.6?

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Thanks for getting this bullshit taken care of Alex. Now, back to trying to whore it up...

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

great way to help celebrate the birthday huh.....

let us know if we can help at all

5. Thanks for putting it back up man!

Wait was just our site hacked or a lot of otheres on this server?

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

At first I thought it was my computer that was messed up, but YAY its back up!!!:bowdown::bowdown::banana::hug:

7. Alex

We're on a shared server, so the server was hacked. And this was not an issue regarding the security of vbulletin. Once they had direct access into the accounts it didnt really matter.

8. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I am so glad that we are up and running again. Thanks Alex...

Mark

9. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

It seems that everytime i click on reply it goes to the screen saying I need to wait 15 seconds between posts.

edit: and i'm not trying to post whore, it's been more than 15 seconds. then when i check back the thread, my reply is in.

10. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Fargin Bastiges!

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

It was like not having a home to go to... :(

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Who was saying that we did that to voice our opinions on the war? We havent had a political debate on here for a long long time.

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i think it was the vandalism that was put up in place of the board....

... but i've a couple questions. If the server was hacked, is it our server? or a co-located you're paying for? Because if it is, how did they gain access to their servers?

Flaw? bad patch? Social engineering?

14. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

What idiot thought that was a wRXAtlanta statement? It said the site had been hacked in the f'ing message. Morons....

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im curious too... who said this was our message?

16. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

that being said, i think it's high time for one.

Fuzzy Toilette Bowl Covers: the work of pinko commies or a vast right-wing conspiracy to appear "compassionate"?

discuss amoungst yourselves.

17. Alex

From a few posts on NASIOC apparently.

18. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Alex, so the PM I got from you about the goat and a 3 way was not real?????

Wow, please delete my response. :(

LOL

19. Alex

:rofl:

That's next Tuesday ;)

20. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

freakin tool bags. i was looking at that the other day and i was like, "oh fuck, not good, cause im here in that region of the world, and im thinking that our secure comp lines have been infiltrated by the terrorists. WE'RE fucked!"
    Good thing it was some ass clown that just wants to blast his radical ideology and ruin our peaceful good time. ASS HOLE!

thats all, have a nice day.
    Alex, you are the man

21. plokivos

plokivos Member

glad your back online.

by the way, graphics look fresh. me likey.

kinda like mine with the members on the back... LOL j/k. :)

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Whats yo Plokivos, haven't been on here in a while. Are you guys coming to Nopi?

23. plokivos

plokivos Member

eh, I wont be going to NOPI, but I will be in the area that night. :)

I've already seen enough, I don't want to pay for it to see the cars.

besides, it's a lot more fun to save up money and go racing with those cars anyway. :)

but that's just me.

But I'll be in the area, hanging out with some owners.

:)