Sorry fellas i went turncoat :wtc:

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by deuce189, Sep 10, 2006.

1. deuce189

deuce189 Member

2. Hmm too bad they discontinued these, i loved them, and they were really good cars too...

Good old Aussy power!

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Old's right, they've been using that car/chassis for almost a decade. I still like them a lot, the guy I got my car from traded the WRX in on a new GTO. Last I heard he's putting a 410ci motor and some nitrous on it.

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Very nice. I would lie if I didn't say I am occasionally tempted to trade the WRX for a GTO or C5 vette.

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea they are nice cars..

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah man! I love those bishes. And I'd be driving one right now if they weren't 30 grand new. I just couldn't have the one w/o the hood vents so the first year we got was a no go.

Good job. :bigthumb:

7. longfury

longfury Active Member

I know that feeling. RWD sports cars get me going in a good way.

8. savsuby

savsuby Member

Looks good

9. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

GTO's are nice...just curious...how much do they go for?

10. Another note: How much did you get that for?

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

is that an '04??

I driven those a couple of times. Very torquey and great interiors.
    Only complaint I had about them was the shifter feel/throw and the
    brake feel.

Congrats.... nothing wrong with turning coat for that.
    Throw a supercharger on it (or anything really) and get lots of power out of it.

12. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah that engine can probably make 600 hp with no problem. A thousand if one went all out. Plus you can pull some mad doriftos :D

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If you were around for the '04 firesale you could pick one up NEW for 19k.

14. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Nice man, nothing feels quite like a V8

15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Its fine so long as you put a WRXatlanta.com decal on it :eek:

16. deuce189

deuce189 Member

^^^Dude i should, might boggle some people's minds. Like i was telling hazzard i will always be a WRX guy at heart and i know sometime in the future when i grad i will probably be in the market for another bugeye to play w/.

17. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i got wrxatl stickers on my lanche. nice car btw.

18. Brian

Brian Active Member

Pthththth! Congrats on your Pontiac Sunfire look-a-like. :hsugh:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  19. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Ohhh, somebody's got displacement envy... :naughty:

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

"It's not how much you got, but what you do with it..."

21. jayj713

jayj713 Member

so, how does the car feel? :)

22. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah, yeah. Is it fast huh, huh?

Just kidding... I'm sure it's a great all round street car.

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

So....you actually beleive this. :keke: ;)

24. deuce189

deuce189 Member

Is that what you Lady friend tells you in bed. lol!

25. Brian

Brian Active Member

I was curious how many people would take such easy bait. :hsnono:

The post could have been, "There is (scratch no) 1 replacement for displacement, TURBO POWER!" :fawk:

BTW, I like American muscle just fine. Are there any American V-8 sports cars with AWD?

26. Pomorski

Pomorski Member

American muscle cars were nice, WERE nice. These new ones might have a lot of power but look like crap. When I first saw the new GTO I was like "they came out with a redesigned Grand Am/ Grand Prix?!?!" Once I realized it was supposed to be a 'GTO' I was sorely disappointed. In my opinion, they took a Grand AM/Grand Prix body and put a big engine in it and that's it. It was like the whole SRT thing; take a Neon and put a turbo in it.

Maybe someday the American auto manufactures will finally realize the folly in their ways and make a car that looks good. At least Ford redesigned the Mustang into something that actually looks like a muscle car. I'm not saying my short bus is the best looking thing out there as looks are purely subjective but at least it was qualities that make it stand out. Make the GTO a muscle car by making it look like a muscle car. People remember the 1967 GTO for it's power and it's looks. I bet in forty years no one will remember a 2006 GTO but they sure as hell will remember a 1967 GTO.

Not that I'm trying to bash you new car but I hear so many people praise the new GTO when all it is is a marketing ploy by Pontiac in an effort to make money. If they really wanted to bring back the GTO they'd have actually designed a body style that would have stood out and made the average person look at it and say "WOW! That's the new GTO!!!" I can't tell you how many of my passengers have wondered what that thing is if we come up to it, they assume it's a Grand Prix or Grand Am.

That's my lesson on American auto manufactures marketing efforts and aside from that, great choice on moving up in the world of power! A turbo'd four cylinder is nothing next to a big block V-8 expecially when you've a full car load and the AC on!

27. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I won't argue that the 60's model GTO was one hell of a car. But I can say that turbo 4 can do just as much if not more than a V8, even with the AC on. Hell I rarely ever turn my AC off.

But I will argue that the new GTO kicks ass in every way, except that it cost too much. If you've ever seen the V8 challenge on SPEED you'd probably understand where the Aussie's get thier love for this kind of car. Sure they're a little late on the V8 thing, but they definitely know their shet on WRX's. So I can't fault em' for the Austrailian GM product that we call the GTO, which by the way they call a Holden, by GM.

28. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Late on the V8 thing? Ford Falcon ring a bell?

Turbo 4s are great, but with less displacement you ARE always compromising. Sure we can make 400-500 ponies with bigger turbos and all that jazz, but we're giving up low end power/torque to make that kind of power. Large displacement engines just make effortless, smooth power. That's something we can never accomplish.

29. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

You haven't been in my ride Moose. I got low end power as smooth as you please all day long. And at like 26 MPG in a 5 star safety rated vehicle. To me that is NOT a compromise. Hit me up for a ride sometime. I promise it's not lacking anything a V8 can give you. Period.

30. Deke

Deke Active Member

Top end? :)

31. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Let me know when your car comfortably cruises at 1500-1600 rpm and still has passing power. :wavey:

Our cars are awesome, but they DO have their limitations! :)

32. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah they do have limitations. And believe me I love a V8 except for the whole twice as heavy and guzzles gas thing. But I do have passing power all over the power band. I'm tellin you gotta see it to believe it. :D I'm actually hitting 17 PSI at just over 2500 RPM's.

Of course I don't have extreme high end with only a TD04 but even before my latest tune I hit a 13.5 in the quarter, the very first time I ever went down a drag strip.

33. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Guzzles gas like that monster in the Corvette, eh?

EPA says 20/27, combined 22 for the WRX.

And 19/28 for the Corvette, also combined 22. (For the record, my buddy's '03 Z06 gets 31-32 cruising at 75.)

I think an LS1 weighs around 390 lbs. What does the EJ20 weigh? 350+? Certainly not half of the LS1...

Face it, V8s have evolved since the 1970s. :)

edit: '04 GTO gets 17/29 gas mileage.

edit2: And the damn GTO weighs like 3700, imagine how efficient that engine would be if the car weighed the same as a WRX.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  34. crash#2

crash#2 Member

i was once tempted to fall to the "real" dark side, 5.0 style

35. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've been there my friend. But mine was actually from back when a 5.0 was still called a 302, and it was a sweet time. Haha, I definitely still wish I had that car. But then again a 60s fastback and a foxbody are in entirely different leagues, at least visually.

36. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Hard to beat a 5.0 with flows. :) Though the 4.6 (I had a '99 GT ragtop) is a really really sweet engine too... very smooth and stout.

37. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I think we got a little off track.

But yeah you can debate engines until you're blue in the face but the bottom line is drive whatever makes you happy.

The only reason I bought an AWD car was because I knew I'd be moving to WA state (next week) and would want a good all weather car. Sure I'll see people with vette's and S2K's up there but whatever floats thier boat.

Unlike a lot of people I can honestly say I genuinely love cars, bikes and trucks of all kinds without being so ignorant as to think that I'd have to hate one to love the other. And that's way better than any of that stupid drama.

38. Deke

Deke Active Member

No diggity.

39. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just so you know, this is not going Turncoat. Going Turncoat would be getting an Evo. Nobody feels threatened by an American made POS, :naughty: j/k.

40. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

41. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

bad moderator... bad

43. deuce189

deuce189 Member

As for the dude saying that they just got a grand prix body and slapt a V8 in it you are close but not close enough, they actually got a holden monaro from Australia and slapt a grand prix front end on it. This car IMO is far from being american muscle, more like Australian muscle. Compared to the camaro and trans am as far as overall drivablity this is not the average GM.

It's an Aussie GM :D

Anyways thanks for the comments fellas, i can understand some are biased but hey i was about to get a truck. I spotted this car and figured i had to deal. I like it alot, it's a cadillac compared to the WRX, litterally this sucker is huge hahahahahah. Anyways like i was telling hazzard i will eventually be back in the awd turbo game after a grad. 2.5rs stricktly for auto-X heh heh. But in the mean time i am still goin to auto-x this beached wale for the hell of it.

44. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You think that car is huge?

Try my commuter:
    [​IMG]

45. deuce189

deuce189 Member

hahahaha yeah that is huge, i used to have a caprice as one but that sucker is a dump truck compared to the caprice.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006