Stupid audio question (mini rant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluelinescooby, Sep 29, 2006.

1. I have a question, maybe some of you more knowledgeable guys can answer it for me......

I enjoy a nice, well-matched audio system just as much as the next guy, but what is the purpose of shoving big subs into the trunk and then cranking up the volume so that everything in the trunk buzzes and rattles? Are they oblivious to it? Do they think that it sounds good, or maybe that more rattling=more power? Or do they do it solely to piss off all the other drivers around them?

I only ask because up until today this has been an issue I've usually only noticed with old Caprices, Oldsmobiles, Civics, etc........ of course this isn't always the case, but you get the picture. Today I drove past a silver STi that looked like it's seen better days, and the trunk is rattling so loudly that it overpowers the music. I had never heard that from a Subaru before, let alone an STi, and I felt kinda sorry for the car.

I'm done....... time to go to work. And dude, if you're on here, go get some Dynamat, your car sounds like crap.

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My car probably sounds like crap right now. The only good thing is that the rattle you hear outside the car is much worse than the rattle you here in the car.

Now for me, I have been losing my hearing for a while, all started when I was 17 and got my first Subwoofer, and probably blew out my ear drums at that point. So I now find that I have to turn the volume up a tad louder to be able to hear clearly.

I plan on getting some Ensolite and Dynamat in the near future to stop the rattles and to make the cabin more soundproof. Just need to save up some duckets to buy sound deadening materials.

Oh, by the way, that was not me you are referring to in this post, however, if you got beside me now, you would probably be saying the same thing.

3. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I loved pissing off old peeps with my last car system....now I'm an old peep and want something of a more refined quality other than shaking anything in a 15 foot radius...:keke:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

look at me! you're not looking! (cranks up the bass) LOOK AT ME!!!

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

MMMM bass. I wanna see how many 15s I can fit in the back of the wagon.

Blueline, whats the official law regarding loud systems? I've heard a lot of stuff about hearing bass 15ft away and whatnot.

6. :rofl: :p

I think it has to be plainly audible 100ft from the source........ could be 50ft though, not 100% sure, it's been a while since I've written one..... :D I'll check on it....... different jurisdictions may have different ordinances dealing with noise though......

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

damn the volvo might get a ticket for excessive bass...the blue one might too

8. Most people i know at my school have big subs to use them at tailgates and what not...