Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Review

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by GTscoob, Sep 30, 2005.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Swapped some Mobil 1 synthetic in my car yesterday and installed my Fumoto valve that's been sitting in my desk for a while.

Tested it a little and it works really well. Oil changes are going to be easier than ever now.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

[​IMG]

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Cool, oil changes will be easy and virtually mess free.

3. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

did you get the regular model or the "n-type"?.....cause it recomends that for a car with low ground clearance...j/w

4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

go Fumoto..ive had one on my car for almost 3 years now!! oil chages are a shnap yo!!

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Mine is the regular version. It hangs less than half an inch lower than the stock plug.

6. walter

walter New Member

It recomends the regular for low clearance. :wavey:

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I heard that the valve doesn't allow for the oil pan to fully drain...

--
    Brian

8. RADON

RADON Member

There are about 2~3 threads that extend up into the drain pan that would prevent a little amount of oil from draining. You can file down those threads fairly easily as it's brass.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I believe they fixed this on the new version of the drain valves, but I cannot remember where I read that. Ill look around.

10. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

just wanted to bump this thread because I just installed this on my car this weekend and it's been slowly leaking oil :eek:hnoes: glad I caught it when I did....it was leaking from the seal that meets to the oil pan?...it's totally possible that maybe I didn't tighten it all the way but the peice is brass and didn't want to risk over-tightening...maybe it's the gasket?...not sure but now i have the OEM back on and not sure If I want to try this again, next time around...Anyone else have any similar issues?

11. RADON

RADON Member

Did you install a crush washer w/ the fumoto valve? If so, make sure the washer is oriented correctly.

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

didn't use a crush washer because it already came with a gasket type thingy...so i thought that would seal sufficiently?.....maybe that's where I went wrong....maybe some other peeps with this valve will chime in...

13. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I have it and use the gasket that was supplied..there is the very smallest leak..nothing ever drips and I have never had any oil drops in the garage but when I go to change the oil I can see a little line of oil from it..it has been that way for years..I have had mine about 4 years now with no problems

14. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Do they specify torque?

15. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

not that I know of....it would be pretty hard to torque it considering the shape of it....it does says don't over-tighten....

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

They dont, all they suggest is to take a wrench and turn it 1/4 turn past when it feels tight IIRC.