Country's first public test drive track opens in Illinois

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RADON, Oct 8, 2006.

1. RADON

RADON Member

2. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

lets get one here that has solo2 autocross course, and a 1/4 miles drag strip!

3. Demo24

Demo24 Member

we need one at sog:naughty:

4. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:bigthumb:

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Let's all agree then, whoever becomes a multi-millionare first will build one of these in Atlanta. Cool? ;)

6. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Pinky swear. :D

7. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

scouts honor !!!

8. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I got five on it !!!! :D

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

pretty cool...

10. Thats what i can build when i buy my 50 acres of land...I wish

11. Actually, its been my plan for awhile to make millions and then retire. Then buy a lot of land and have a dyno in my garage and a track in my backyard...

Its the millions that I seem to be stumbling on...

12. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Me too!!

I Promise!!:ddirty:

13. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I've always thought that whenever I move out (which will probably be a long while!) I'd buy more land than house. I'd rent a bobcat, and flaten out an arce or two of land into flat smooth dirt... That way I can have my own little patch of dirt to play on.

Just an idea though.

14. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:rofl:

You gotta do it one zero at a time. ;)

15. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

just make sure that unlike me, all the zeros are on the correct side of the decimal.

17. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Lets take a road trip since none of us have millions.

18. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

rant from my LJ:

Looks like a neat idea, right?

The test track's stated purpose by the mayor was to give the local dealerships, who form a comittee that manages the test track, a way to legally test drive their sales vehicles instead of driving on public and neighborhood roads in the area. I don't know why they call it a public test track. The public has nothing to do with its policy decisions or its implementations, and the public can't actually drive on it unless they goto one of the car dealerships on the comittee and take one of THEIR vehicles. Yeah, thats about as 'public' as 'public schools' are.

Anyways, while a neat idea, it still falls short of what it could actually be. Instead of making the city an icon for automotive sales, or an actual testbed for cars, because of the exclusivity of the committee it will mean that no-other dealerships will be allowed to participate. If the Naperville Acura wants to run a credit check on you before they let you drive that TSX on the test track, then who's to stop them? Its not like you can drive over to Aurora and use that city's test track with another dealership, or even if you did, then the track drove away tax revenue to a neighboring dealership. I am highly suspect of the oversight of this thing and who it actually benefits most.

I don't see why this idea couldn't work for test tracks or for race tracks if the community was willing to have it be a part of them. The state board of transportation secures roads for commuting, why not for racing too?