Looking to pick up a minor in Chinese or Japanese (and would like a tutor)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

At somepoint in the next year or so I will be looking to pick up a minor to go with my certificates and such. Was considering a language would be a worthwhile investment (esp in the business world).

If anyone is a native Chinese or Japanese speaker, please let me know. I'd be interested to meet up with you a few times and discuss some things.

Cheers.

2. Meredith

Meredith Banned

My old japanese teacher,negreli-sensei, left tech a few years ago and the main japanese professor (kikuchi-sensei) was never as good as her. I don't remember anything from my last semester of japanese with kikuchi.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  3. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

go with chinese, we'll i mean they'll be THE super power in 10 years or less

4. Only problem now with Chinese is...which dialict? Chinese language is the same, but how you speak is VERY varried.

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Hell, many claim Chinese isn't a language with dialects, but rather a language family consisting of many individual languages like Mandarin and Cantonese.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Sorry I am not of much help. Tenjo, mado and Godzilla is the extent of my Japanese.

I can talk to my sister or brother in law. They met in Japan and both speak Japanese fluently. They also have a lot of contacts with Jetro (http://www.jetro.go.jp)

7. Ava

Ava Member

Alex,
    I'd go with Chinese. As for dialect goes, typically, I only see Madarin being taught and not much of other dialect. Chinese is the second most used language in the world, behind Spanish. At least that was the info that was given to me about 3 years ago. More and more business is being develop in China, the growth in China is amazing. Just my 2 cents.

8. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i forgot to specify, manadarin icovers MOST of mainland china. from the north to the southwest. its spoken in bejing/peking and is the official language of the people's republic. it also covers taiwan and singapore

check out this website
    http://www.chinalanguage.com/

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I speakah chinese....my engrish no good tho

hehe I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin. JayJ speaks teh chinese too.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Hindi!!!!!!!!!!

u can use it when u call customer service :D

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It kills me when I call outsourced customer service.

<Indian accent>Thankyouforcallingdellmynameis...Susan...howmayIhelpyou</Indian Accent>

I never knew William, Peter, Jason, James, Jennifer etc were such common names over there. ;-)

12. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

Dammit Alex, You have good asian Tutor, For $5 Dolllaar extra I wear Panda suit during tutor sessions.

13. Alex

All they do down there is watch "Friends" to perfect their english ;)

Thanks for all of the info guys, I'll be in touch.

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

most of their names are fake... however there is a decent christian population especially in the southwest so the names u mentioned are not really uncommon

15. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Dont get me started on that!

16. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I have some friends in my anime club I can ask also. one of them is actually in Japan teaching.

17. No love for Korean? ;P

18. jayj713

jayj713 Member

ugh, i love anime. ever since i started college, i think i've finished atleast 30+ series. i want to learn japanese so i can watch anime without reading subtitles.

Anyways, yea i think mandarin would be the best thing to learn. Don't know anyone that teaches it though.

19. i can anwser the phone in japanese, thats about it. Ever thought about those videos they show on late night tv that say youll know it in less then 6 months. I was thinking about ordering it an tring to get the jest of it down before my trip next yr

20. subybabe

subybabe New Member

I think japanese.. because they're big in the business world. Im chinese and even my parents told me to learn japanese. Chinese is too compicated with the 2 main dialects cause different parts in china also have theyre own langauge same for taiwan. But if chinese then def mandrian.. in some ways canto and mand are same

21. Alex

No love for Korean when you are never around :wtc:

22. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i'm taking my 2nd intro chinese class at tech, it's not that bad. i can't tutor you but if you want to study i can help out.

23. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Hmmm I think I know a bit of korean.....

Nuh hang geul mai ana hae sae yo

Means I don't speak korean in korean, right?