Turbo upgrade?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by subybabe, Oct 19, 2006.

1. subybabe

subybabe New Member

Okay need a big help on picking a turbo for the 05 wrx. Ive heard alot of the VFs then about the TDs just wondering what would be better pick and the main difference between all

2. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

How much money and power are you looking for?

3. subybabe

subybabe New Member

Hmmm not too cheap and not too much power.. was thinking of sti turbo?

4. Sti turbo or maybe an 18g? Just remember must have supporting mods to do the turbo. Bigger turbo bigger injectors bigger fuel pump bigget intercooler and so on

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I wouldn't count bigger IC (or bigger fuel pump for that matter) as a 'must' for a VF39 unless you're really pushing it.

6. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

super 16g with big top mount, injectors and a fuel pump...and a pro tune. I think with meth Milo made 340 awhp and without 305. Super 16g can be had reasonable, modded stockers also pretty cheap and $100 for a fuel pump. Turbo either deadbolt super 16g or FP TD-05 super 16 g with the 7 cm housing and 585 cfm flow rate...good combo for the 2.0 liter wrx's. I have decided on the 2.5 short block first followed by a turbo later.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i made 340 with meth but i never broke the 300 whp mark without... one factor was a top mount intercooler... another possibility was my BPV which turned out to be leaky when we used meth... no idea if it was leaking before i added meth

8. crashtke

Gotcha, but super 16g regardless! I think if I were to keep the 2.0 that or TD-05 18g is what I would get!

9. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

by the way, is 280+whp possible on a VF34 without a bigger top-mount and a protune or on cobb stg 3 OTS maps? injectors needed? Was looking at this earlier this week, couldn't wade through the crap on nasioc.

having rode in milo's car with the super 16g, amazing if the price is right, pulled real hard.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If memory serves, one guy on here made right at 280awhp with a VF34 and stock top mount. I wouldn't count that as the norm though... and yes, you will need injectors for pretty much anything beyond stock.

11. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

vf22 vf30 or vf34 will make most people happy for a low price

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think he was bambooi's friend... though a bigger TMIC is not required, i would recommend it... the pressure drop makes it very restrictive

13. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

From what I've read that is up your alley.

14. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

decisions.....decisions.....

You should probably set a goal (whp/trq, amount of lag, etc...)
    and stick to that. There are so many options out there, and they all work
    reasonably well.

Maybe you should try to find people that have the turbo's you're thinking
    about and try to get a ride from them to see whether or not you're going to like that turbo's characteristics.

oh, and +1 to the 16g and vf-34 ideas

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

have a look over at www.boostplanet.com for all your turbo needs/questions ;)

Jerry does GREAT work and stands behind his product 110%.

16. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Not to thread hijack, but what kind of setup would you go with to get a quicker than stock spool up with more topend/horsepower? Is that at all doable? Would we have to wait till the twinscrolls come out? Also, has anyone ever done a twin turbo setup?

17. crashtke

Monster ported TD-04....think that is about it from what I have read...maybe a GT25? Not sure really...I would think something similar sized and ball bearing would spool quicker and have more top end.

18. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Monster ported doesn't really help with topend too much. Like you'll get a few hp but not a ton. Try a 16g with an Evo compressor wheel. And get THAT monster ported.