Saddam gets the Death Sentence.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluetwo, Nov 5, 2006.

?

Sentencing Saddam

1. The death sentence is appropriate.

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. He deserves life in prison.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. He should serve less than a life sentence.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- An Iraqi court has found Saddam Hussein guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced him to death...

http://www.wnbc.com/news/10245573/detail.html

I'm sure more stories will be popping up soon but this was the best one I found at this time.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

its about damn time!

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

So where's Bin Laden? :)

4. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

Holy crap, they wanna hang him... nice :bigthumb:

5. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

WoooHOOo! Now they need find that other Bastard but no court needed for him close range 50 cal. will do fine.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Not that I want to see it but I wonder if they'll televise it?

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i dobut they would

8. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

There is a huge appeals process that has to happen and that could take.... who know's how long really. Baghdad is shut down on the curfew so now about all there is to do is to see what the country's reactions will be.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Say some prayers for our boys over there....... Saddam loyalists are gonna be freekin out....

10. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Oh, it is about time...Hell Yeah...Justice has been served to that maniacal killer...Thank God...

Mark

11. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

lol don't you know they're not saying they found bin laden just so they can have an excuse to stay in the "war on terror". lol just kidding it's more fun to think of things that way who knows were he is just my funny way of looking at it i don't want to start any fights or arguments

12. thebigph

p.s. i am also glad about the sentence just want to be clear...out of curiosity, who wouldn't want that sentence?

13. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That's a good question. I just noticed a poll on one of the news stories I looked at today and thought I'd see how people would vote.

I had to get one of the mods to help me change it into a poll though. :hs:

14. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

start t/j Oh...wanna know where the wmd's went? whos been doing nuclear bomb testing latley..and pretty dam bold about it...sorry end t/j

15. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Dude what the heck is t/j? :)

16. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Thought it was thread jack maybe im wrong.:eek:

17. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I think they should kill him they way he killed other people just torcher the shit out of him.

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Me, I think that the death penalty is an easy way out. I would be all for them enacting a torture penalty instead.

19. RADON

RADON Member

Draw and quarter.

Just remember this is for the 1 thing he did way back when. It doesn't include all his atrocities.

20. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

:banana: :fawk: :banana:

21. Deke

Deke Active Member

Man if I was Saddam I'd be super pissed at Bin Laden. I mean they don't have anything to do with eachother but ultimately he's being sentenced to death because that fucker destryed the world trade center. I'm not saying Saddam doesn't deserve what's coming to him, but he probably would have lived a lot longer if he didn't have the disfortune of being chosen as a scape goat.

22. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I think that life in an Iraqi prison would have been a much worse fate for him...

23. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I'm not loosing sleep over it.

24. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I just want that m******f***r dead.......

Mark

25. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

well, so far there haven't been any riots in Iraq connected to this.

But there has been partying by the Kurds and the Shia. Even some Sunni clerics are coming out and saying stuff like "It is appropriate."

I don't think people realise how much more important it is that the majority of Iraqi people agree on this. It is FAR more important than Saddam getting sentenced; that the Iraqis find more common ground to work together from and get away from the dark-ages of tribal war in-fighting and genocide, that bodes extremely well for long term stability.

26. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Should be interesting to see what unfurls after this.

27. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I think it may eventually bring Iraqi's together but there are so many Islamic radicals in Baghdad and they have a pretty big influence on the young government.

I hope that some of the worlds dictators will see this and take heed.

28. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, especially if it was Abu Grahib.

29. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

its under appeal right now, but im hoping they actually hang him as bad as that is to say.

30. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I say let him free and have the us leave Iraq... would probably be a better place than it is now ;)

--
    brian

31. RADON

RADON Member

This first trial had nothing to do with Bin Laden or the WTC. He was sentenced to death for ordering a brutal crackdown that claimed the lives of 148 Shia from the village of Dujail, north of Baghdad, after a 1982 assassination attempt on his life.

32. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not to get off on a tangent and be nasty but... are there really 6 people on this board that think life in prison or god forbid he deserves less then a life sentence. He slaughtered countless Iranians and even though I'm the silent majority(call me ignorent if you please).... He had WMD's which could be anywhere in Iraq(chemical weapons could be hidden in a shoebox). All of which could be harbored on Syria with no question. Not to mention there are ties with Al-Queda that no one wants to admit. Is it just a coincidence Al-queda is all around Iraq right now? England and Spain have already been hit with train bombs and the US is next........ You might say I'm ignorant and am just falling for the Republican scare tactics but I disagree.... No - one will believe till its in our front yard which might be sooner than we think... Yup, I'm scared.... Call me ignorent, but kill Sadaam and Kill Bin Laden and don't look back.. And keep in God we trust and keep the ten Commandments in court and start admitting the US is the greatest country in the world and appreciate it stand for it.... God Bless our Troops!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i dont think saddam and al qaeda have ties... at least i know they didnt get along when i was back in india (till 98)... saddam has nothing against indians... when he invaded kuwait, he allowed all indians to leave... al qaeda on the other hand focuses their attacks on the US and india

34. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, my point exactly. Yet in response to 9/11 we invaded Iraq (I know this isn't completely accurate, but pretty much). Sure Saddam deserves what's coming to him. I'm just saying that it wouldn't have come to him so soon if Bin Laden hadn't been such an asshole (extreme understatement).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  35. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

At least the trains ran on time.. ;)

36. RADON

RADON Member

Actually, the coalition took out the Taliban first in Afghanistan and then moved to Iraq for the following below which had nothing to do with Bin Laden (I copy and pasted b/c it was more succinct than I could write). The main stream media (MSM) is responsible for many Americans believing the only reason the USA went to war in Iraq was for Bin Laden.

The U.S. Senate and House voted for war in Iraq, not merely because they were deluded about the shared intelligence reports on WMD (though deluded they surely were), but also because of the 22 legitimate casus belli they added just in case. And despite the recent meae culpae, those charges remain as valid today as they were when they were approved: Saddam did try to kill a former American president; the U.N. embargo was violated, as were its inspection protocols; the 1991 accords were often ignored; the genocide of brave Kurds did happen; suicide bombers were being given bounties; terrorists, including those involved into the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, were given sanctuary by Saddam; and on and on.

(http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=YmJiODI2MGM3OWIxY2M0MWRhNWQwN2Y2OTBkNGVjY2Q=)

37. Mad Mallard

then why say it?

38. thebigph

apparently there is an unlimited number of appeals that his lawyers can make but if it they appeals courts just keep coming to the same conclusion then they make the decision final and once that happens then the sentence must be carried out w/in 30 days of the final appeal. at least that's what i think is the process from what i've seen on the news

39. thebigph

i don't think that there is any right answer to this debate as to how he should be sentenced. life in prison would make him think about all he did and also maybe keep up on how the US has changed pretty much everything he worked for in iraq. i'm not all that familiar with the different religions over there but it seems like many of them feel that dying only helps contribute to their cause. wouldn't killing him only make him a martyr in the eyes of his supporters? like i said it's hard to tell what is the right thing to do, but i think putting that opinion might stir up jsut a little more convo about this topic (not that it needed it just what i do sometimes)

40. Deke

Deke Active Member

After 9/11 American's felt like some kind of action needed to be taken. We didn't want it to seem like we were just going to lay back and take any further dangers. We started by going after the Taliban. Then after we were done with that (I guess you could say done), the media and US goverment played off the emotions of all of the outraged americans to justify invading another group that was a possible threat to us.

What I'm saying is that, yes, we probably would have eventually gone into Iraq anyways, but if it wasn't for the heightened sense of patriotism after the attacks on the World Trade Center, We probably wouldn't have gone in when we did.

I mean I think it's funny/repulsive that Bush has publicly poked fun at himself about the wmd's (or lack there of) in Iraq. He's made fun of the fact that one of the primary reasons we have our current conflict with Iraq doesn't even exist. On top of that, look at North Korea.

And as for helping out the current citizens of Iraq, yes it's a good thing. But how many other countries are the citizens' rights non existent?

As I've said in my other posts, I'm glad Saddam is finally out of the picture. All I'm trying to say is that taking care of this one guy is not going to take care of all the evils in the world.

And that's why I said it :)

41. thebigph

killing him would get him out of the way, but i think we all know that there are always more evil people out there ready and willing to take his or any other's place and keep on terrifying innocent people. not the best way to look at it but it seems like we know who is evil however we wait until the bad guy does something qrong to do anything to make it better. and in a lot of cases, we help that person at some point in time to obtain and maintain that power...

42. Mad Mallard

I just didn't like the idea of you saying something you knew to be inaccurate and even point it out....so i wanted to make you expand. ;p

I don't like it when omission is used as a POV.

but like I said for everyone else, the fact that all these different tribes can come to an agreement on his sentence is far more important than Saddam actually -getting- the death sentence.

He could rot in a prison now for all I care, or hang. He no longer has the authority to build palaces of gold while his people starve almost as bad as in North Korea...

43. Deke

Deke Active Member

Cheers :)

44. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

9/11 did not single handedly put Operation Iraqi Freedom into place. In retrospect it's clear that it did affect the way Americans felt and I'm sure that it helped motivate senior officials in regards to the removal of Saddam.

The fact is we've wanted to take Saddam out of power since 1990 but unfortunately for many we were never able to do it until 2003. It has been confirmed that the Saddam regime had WMD, that Saddam did in fact use said WMD on his own people and that he also had nuclear weapons ambitions which he surely would have used on his enemies.