Screw your Brembos, give me these.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RADON, Nov 9, 2006.

1. RADON

RADON Member

2. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

"In tests, a prototype with the wedge brakes regularly required less than half the distance to come to a complete stop than the prototype with the standard brakes, a company official said."

:eek2:

3. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

so uh...what happens if the power connection fails... you dead. hydraulic= safer.

4. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

What happens when someone cuts your brake line? Umm, you could be dead. I'm sure they'll be rigorous safety tests and research before these end up on a production vehicle.

5. RADON

RADON Member

If the power connector failed, most likely the brakes would fail safe. Meaning, you wouldn't be moving as the brakes would lock.

6. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

"WOW" That is really cool.

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

sounds promising, but how about brake feel and modulation? Probably down to the manuf. to program electronically...

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^
    Which will be included in the new and improved Black-Box that records
    how you drive.

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

heh that would not surprise me

10. heathbar

heathbar Member

wow, sounds pretty cool... the watermelon seed analogy was kinda funny

11. ok, so they brake better than normal caliper brakes... but how will this improve stopping distances? stopping distances are limited by two things: the brakes, and the tires... you can't brake more effectively than the tires grip on the road or you just lock up the tires...

am I missing something?

I'm going to re-read the article

12. Deke

Deke Active Member

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I mean, the tires have there limit. I can't imagine that they can stop in half the distance.

13. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i didn't see anything about what kind of "standard" brakes they were testing against. nor did it go into pads/rotors/rubber.

and were they talking about distance at limit, beyond limit or threashold (on the standard ABS brakes)?

i'm not saying it isn't better (although having ABS that i can't turn off doesn't jazz me up much), but as was stated above, tread has finite traction limit. brakes don't change that.

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It could be that each wheel modulates the braking force quickly and precisely (have you ever had ABS kick in? It's not particularly smooth...), so you'd have each wheel optimized as far as the grip can carry it. It should be able to finetune braking power much more efficiently than hydraulic ABS.

15. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I think they look pretty sexy....:ddirty: :eek:

16. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

but half the distance? that sounds like a bit of a stretch.

17. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I agree it sounds pretty excessive, but I have little to no knowledge on just how efficient hydraulic ABS / human modulation is... when they take a car that normally stops in 120 feet, slap these brakes on it, and stop it in 60, then I'll believe. :)

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

umm...jump out?

19. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

use your feet to backpedal flintstone style

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

Most cars brakes cannot engage the ABS at highway speeds, not enough power. Thats where these increased stopping distances come from, staying near threshold braking the whole time. Common ABS is crude, thats why racers can stop faster by not engaging ABS (and why it pulses). This ABS seems to have much finer control and more power.

ped: recording car movement is not new. As I understand, all modern OBD2 cars already record the preceeding ~10s before an airbag deployment, including speed and braking. Police have used the OBD "black box" to investigate accidents already.

21. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i want these breaks