Nikon

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by emstraumajunke, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Ok its getting close to Christmas and i was told to put my list together for the wife and shes doing the same. I really want all my craftman tools and tool box but we are about to be living in an apartment so i dont really ahve the room for them so they can wait. So I'm moving on to the other thing i want my Nikon D50 , I know if you buy the kit it comes with a lens already but i want a few more things with it as well, SO what else should i put on the list with it.

Nikon D50 (body)
    18-55MM F/3.5-4.5G Lens (comes with the camera)
    1gb memory card

anything else. As for what i like to shoot its mainly my daughter, cars, and landscapes

2. Make sure that kit lens is the Nikon ED glass. Its one of the sharpest and best pieces of glass you can start with!

Invest in also a Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime lens. The sucker is only a 100 dollars and is VERY sharp and useful! I shoot a lot of vehicle shoots with this lens because of its low light capabilities and its sharpness throughout stops.

And buy my camera bag in the for sale section!!! LOL Its a great bag for your 50!!!

3. What about filter and what not. Are they that important or can they wait

4. I saw wait on the filters. If anything the 52mm filters you would need arent too expensive at all. You can get them for about 10-20 dollars each I believe.

Personally though I rarely use filters unless Im at an event where damage can be done to the glass.

5. OK..thanks. Time to give her the list then. Now i sit back and wait will it be the camera or the tools? Only time will tell

6. RADON

RADON Member

How about grabbing a clear filter to protect the lens.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

nonsense, now why you would do that... :)

8. To be completely honest from experience, Ive never used one. Unless you're shooting something that's going to have rocks being slung at you, there's nothing that a hurricane blower and microfiber towelette cant clean.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

And if you REALLY want a UV/Sky filter to protect the front element, make sure you get a nice multicoated one. Especially if you're using a good lens... nothing like spending $1k+ on fancy glass and then sticking a $10 POS filter on front of it. (B+W and Singh-Ray make some good filters if you're looking for high quality stuff.)