What power levels is the stock STi clutch good for?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I am getting sick and tired of the grabby 6 puck I have. It grabs so hard that I cringe every time hoping the tranny won't explode. I haven't even bled my clutch like SS told me too yet as I am scared it'll grab even quicker and grenade the tranny.

I am gonna go stock STi clutch setup on my car. What power levels are they good for? Seems like many STi guys are pushing 450 hp consistantly with no problems.

2. tuan

tuan Member

SS once told me a stock sti clutch can take about 2-3 pass down the track on a 700 sti. could be a miss quote though

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hahaha one if I was driving it. I have nothing else to prove on my car so there won't be much if any drag passes on it. I have said this before but now that my tranny is starting to feel 'notchy' I don't wanna try my luck as my luck flat out sucks.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

scott had told me that on pump gas with an SS tune and arbitrary turbo, the stock clutch should last a while if you don't abuse it... adding meth and getting into the 450wtq ballpark will shorten its life significantly

5. mazeroth

mazeroth New Member

My car has 22k miles on it and I've been pushing 450whp for about 4k miles now on the stock clutch and no signs of it letting go. I've never launched the car in a drag strip though but do give it some gas here and there. (05 STi)

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

My car has 8000 miles on it and I think we are making somewhere in the 400-450hp range, Scott and myself have both felt it slip a few times in very high grip situations. My car gets beat on pretty hard though so take that into consideration.

Matt

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Our stock STi clutch lasted 35k miles with stock power levels :)

--
    Brian

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So it'll probably be better to just get an upgraded Stage 2 clutch. Thanks guys. I'm just planning WAY into the future for when I get my 2.5L and go rotated.

9. slowwrx

In that case, a ATS Twin Carbon will be perfect.

Matt

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And how exspensive is that bad boy?

11. slowwrx

2500-3000 depending on options. I think I'm going to run it in the one lap car.

Matt

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Stock clutch is a decent clutch, and they're cheap. But on the same token, you might as well upgrade 1 or 2 levels above it just to compensate for your "luck" factor.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The hell with that. That is half my PPG's right there :eek:hnoes:

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

Still on stock clutch with 26k miles, with 10k of that w/ the gt30. Of course it will probably be toast if I ever go to a drag strip.