Florida or Michigan????

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SonicBoom, Dec 2, 2006.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok... my spidey senses tell me Michigan is about to get screwed once again... It was bullshit that they ranked USC above Michigan last week(obviously, the just lost to weak as UCLA...). But now since Florida one the SEC championship there gonna be the new #2. I know I'm biased being a Michigan fan but c'mon... Michigan lost to #1 Ohio State in there house buy 3 points. Florida lost to Auburn(#8 or so I think). Ok, Florida one the SEC championship.. but Michigan didn't have a championship game so we just get screwed? College football needs to go to a playoff system just like every other sport...

Discuss....

2. heathbar

heathbar Member

I think it was best put... "if you can't win your conference, you shouldn't be in the national championship game." Simple as that.

That SEC game was f***ing awesome! So much fun! GO GATORS!

I'll admit Michigan is good, but the only teams they beat in the top 25 are both overrated (Wisconsin and ND)

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

While I do sympathize with Michigan (USC should never have been put above them), I want to see Florida. Even though my school is acc (let's not talk about today, it'll just make me mad), I feel really bad for the SEC. Because in my opinion it is the best overall division and it seems to screw them a lot.

I have slightly mixed feelings on the BCS. The majority of me hates it, but I was reading an article the other day that put things in a different light. I'm going to use the NCAA basketball tournament as an example (just because I'm having trouble articulating what exactly I read and I can't seem to find it). Now first of all, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love march madness. Definitely one of the most exciting time of the year as far as sports are concerned. But often, you end up seeing a championship game that isn't between the two best teams in the nation. The addition of all of the extra games just gives more of a chance for the best teams to have a bad day.
    The BCS in a way prevents this from happening. The problem obviously is when it comes down to situation like this year (Florida and Michigan). In a perfect world, Michigan and Florida would play eachother for the spot :)

That kind of paraphrases what the article was talking about. And like I said, while most of me doesn't like the bcs at all. It is kind of hard to completely hate it when it gave us Texas and USC last year (quite possibly the best game I've ever seen).

4. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yeah, I don't think it should be a full-out playoff system. Just add 1 more game... make it 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, then the championship. Alot of times there is a #3 team that deserves a chance. Anyone 5th or lower probably doesn't deserve a chance anyways. But I know, most people will argue that then the bitching will just be over who gets the #4 spot... oh well.

5. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

There should be some changes in the system. Auburn was robbed a couple of years ago. That being said...
    I think Florida should go. **Seems to me** they had a tougher schedule.
    Go Gators.......from an Auburn fan.

6. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Go Gators!

7. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

here are the cold, hard facts when comparing the Gators and Wolverines:

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship.

8. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, compliments of Mark Schlabach :wiggle:

9. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Congrats to Florida.....

Got a meeting with the Buckeyes

10. jt money

hahayeah i was gonna quote it and all that jazz but my gf kicked me off the pc. :rofl:

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

I do feel kind of sorry for Michigan. They basically did get screwed by the system and the fact that their season ended two weeks ago. But then if it had gone the other way, I definitely would have felt bad for Florida (who played a tougher schedule).

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'll admit that Florida had a harder schedule, but lets be honest here. What would make a better matchup for OSU? Just my opinion, but OSU is going to beat the everloving crap out of Florida. And, Michigan will dominate in the rosebowl. It sucks that Michigan is getting penalized for not having a division championship game.

13. wrxguy

wrxguy Member

Well its offical Gators are ranked number 2 on the BCS standings.

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

So I was just thinking about this and I definitely don't think it should always be the case. It is entirely possible to have the two best football teams in the same division (some may argue that's the case with OSU and Michigan). So basically the second best team gets penalized for being in the same division as the first best team.

While I'm not saying this is neccesarily the case this year (as I've said, I'm glad florida made it), I am saying that it could be the case at somepoint. I mean what if it was completely clearcut that OSU and Michigan were the two best teams. I mean like, there was no argument about it. Would it be right to let an obviously inferior team play OSU just because the second best team didn't win the division? Why no, it wouldn't.

15. jt money

i agree. maybe mich should take a bi week and not try to finish the season by thanksgiving. it def hurt them not playing ball for the last 2 weeks.

16. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I hate both teams. But i have to say Florida every right as Michigan to be there. And more with the SEC championship win.
    This coming from a Dog fan.

17. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Here's my take:

Michigan has a great team, so does Florida. But Michigan had it's chance and lost. And if they did get a chance to play and won that wouldn't make them the Champs, they would just be tied 12-1, 12-1. That is not fair to OSU.

If OSU wins the NC game and Mich wins the Rose bowl then the final rankings will be OSU #1 and Mich #2.

I must also say, I definitely feel that you need to win your conference to get to the NC game. If one conference has the best two teams and they ended up playing each other... and the 2nd best team lost, that's it. You had your chance, it's over. This isn't baseball? You don't get a 5 game series. This is football.

18. heathbar

heathbar Member

Just a stat... Urban Meyer has NEVER lost a game that he had 2 or more weeks to prepare for :sx:

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Never say never... Not vs. the big 10 anyway........

20. blink

blink Member

Just remember, Florida won its only national championship due to a rematch..

21. Deke

Deke Active Member

Florida only has one? I'm not trying to put them down or start trash or anything of the sort, but I always find it so surprising when SEC teams with such bigger football followings (Florida, UGA) only have 1 national title where as Georgia Tech has 4. I guess it just shows how sports have their cycles.

And that is pretty interesting that Floridas one came from a rematch with Florida State. Damn that must of been an epic game in the state of Florida. I mean, an instate rival and a national championship game. I wish I lived in florida and gave a damn about football back then.

22. heathbar

heathbar Member

Very true. But that year UF and FSU won their respective conferences. Go Gators! :sx: