Ok just thought this was kinda rediculous

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crashtke, Jan 15, 2007.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Just saw this on nasioc forums...some guy was just trying to get a part number for his oil squirters and had a thread asking for such...mods over there are now locking threads where people do not search enough before asking their questions....I guess they are gettin low on bandwidth or something. This is the second time I have seen a thread locked extremely fast over there for no apparent reason or violation :fawk:

Quote from the mod:

There is no direct part number for the squirters from Subaru. See this thread for details and please search next time -- http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1174798

Mod then locks thread.

2. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

link no workie

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Haven't surfed Nasioc in forever.. There's no question I've had that couldn't be answered here or IWSTI.com...........

4. legacy05gt

legacy05gt Member

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if he provided a link and locked the thread, then i'm with him on that... it helps keep the discussion in one place... on the other hand, its the 'search noob...'lock'' comments that i dont like

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm with Milo on that one. I understand the whole searching thing, but they just take it to extremes over there.

7. crashtke

I guess, why lock it though? I thought locking was to be reserved for violations? What if someone then had additional questions....then they have to start a whole NEW thread to be locked, lol. Edit* Thought about this more and the more I go over it the less I understand the locking...I mean I thought the whole point of these threads was discussion. Who is to decide when a discussion or topic has gone it's course...I mean why let threads with 100000 fan boy comments saying "that is teh coolest" type of crap continue, but others get locked. There was another thread that a guy started regarding BoV's that got locked pretty quick too. Yet I then see other threads that even have mods just throwing "That is teh cooooolllest" that continue for several hundred posts. I mean why should a mod decide when a thread has enough discussion or information in it....maybe someone else has something new to bring to the table, but now they are locked out and have to start a new thread. Thought it was only for violations, not for deciding when a thread has enough discussion...ok end rant*

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  8. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

Nasioc SUCKS.........

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. crashtke

I still find a lot of good information on there. There are some very knowledgeable people on there that I enjoy learning from. I still consider my experience with the Subaru to be low, but I try to learn as much as possible. I was reading a thread today on crankshaft oiling modifications. Crazy read with tons of information that goes into theory and such. Great read for me. Probably would bore most people as there are not enough pictures of fast cars and women, but I actually want to learn something about our cars. The thing that pisses me off is searching through 1000's of threads containing search noob. They are making the process of searching MORE difficult as they are not answering the freaking question. So now you have to search through those non-answer search noob threads as well as the ones that might actually contain some information. One last part of the rant...they bitch about reviving old threads...then they say to keep it all in the same thread...which is it? I mean per that, there would just be one long thread in each sub-forum!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  10. crashtke

as for the link not working, lol it was unimportant as that particular link was to a different thread other than the one I was ranting about. That was just the link the mod gave before locking the thread.:)

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

12. crashtke

That is rough bro, lol. I have been considering the same thing...but thinking of going with the pro-drive or the perrin as they are supposed to be more direct plug and play with our harness. I really think some of the people just look for new threads to say "search noob!" in and really don't contribute much to any real discussion. I have called a few of them out on it. But like you I tire of the crap. Now I mostly do not post on there, but rather just look for threads with good intelligent discussion.

13. Nazi-socks problem is that there are way too many members. With that many members their bandwidth has to be going into the toilet with frivolous threads and such. Each time there is a new thread people check it out if the title seems interesting, and with the HUGE member count thats got to run up the bandwidth.

That being said, they should have a canned response sent out to all the moderators so they can be less hostile about it. Include a reason why searching before posting is preferred, whether its bandwidth, forums getting filled too quickly so valuable posts drop off page 1, or whatever.

14. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Prodrive is the only plug and play
    the rest will be soon because i have a lead on where to get that connector

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

not suite so... if i see a redundant thread starting, i will try to provide a link to the original thread and lock the new one... that way, the discussion continues in the original thread and separate solutions to the same problem do not develop in different threads... its never about deciding when a topic has been sufficiently discussed... its more of an attempt to keep relevant discussions in one place

16. crashtke

I guess that makes sense.

17. crashtke

Sweet!! let me know on that one! I have been considering this, but did not want to hack my harness. Would be cheaper with the GM and every bit as good if it is plug and play!

18. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

for example, 10 people may start new threads about cold air intakes... 9 will get locked and will have links provided to the 'master' thread... so your search will always direct u to the original thread, the one with the most information and it will be open for more posts ;)

19. Deke

Deke Active Member

It definitely makes sense, but you still sometimes get jumped on for bumping an old thread (on nabisco that is). Like someone said earlier, it's crap to have a thread locked and then get shit for resurrecting on old one.