Poll: who drives the most riced out cars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crashtke, Jan 31, 2007.

?

Who drives the more riced out cars?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2007.
  1. Subaru WRX drivers

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Honda Civic drivers

32 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Just to see what kind of results we get....kind of a skewed poll as it IS a subaru forum though, lol. Not sure where would be a good kind of forum for this though.

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, carried over from the other thread. I'm going to say that it is actually kind of a tough call. Are we talking only about people that mod. Because I mean if we are talking about percentages of riced out compared to stock/performance mods, subaru might have more. Pardon my french, but there are a shit-ton of honda civics on the road.

Now what I'm assumsing is that we are only sampling from the "tuner" scene. And in this case I would obviously have to say Honda Civics. As you were saying in the other thread subaru enthusiasts seem to be a little more geared towards performance (not to say that there aren't riced out wrxs). But in general, Honda's are cheaper, thus more available to anyone.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  3. crashtke

Again, just not a fair comparison in all reality. But then again, how many old 1990 Subarus do you see that are riced out to hell and back? I am not saying that it does not happen, just that percentage wise...well the civics seem to have it. On the tuner scene, as you mentioned, it still would just not be a fair comparison. I think younger kids are more prone to be influenced by media such as the Fast and the Furious. (Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie!) These same kids are the ones that are modifying their cars to try to emulate the cars seen in these movies...thus the cheap and easily available car is the Civic. As moose stated, it is cheaper and more easily obtainable. So the same people that are effected also tend to drive that type of car.

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

What is your definition of rice?

5. crashtke

Huge multi-deck wing, graphics all down the side, slammed with no handling benifit (and often times hurts handling), stickers all over the place for various upgrades, body kits with no paint, fart can muffler with minimal performance gains and no tuning, that sort of thing. Brian this in no way is aimed towards your vehicles. Yours is a purpose built racing/autox car.

6. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  7. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

CRXs with muscle car paintjobs.

I'm going to say WRX owners. So many people buy them and drive them like they're Colin Mcrae even when stock. The cars respond well to mods so you get kids who have a quick car and feel like they need to prove that to everybody. Civic owners will drive their cars WOT all the time and take 10sec to reach 60mph all the while still getting 30mph. They just cant slow down once they get going that fast.

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

civics

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Milo :keke:

10. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

+1 :bigthumb: ;)

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i like all cool cars... no matter if its a honda or a subaru... damn, i got spanked at the strip by a 10 second civic...

in the end, please dont make any generalizations about people by the piece of metal they ride around in

12. GTscoob

Being a ricer is more the mentality than the car anyways. There are plenty of guys who own quick Civics that are very mature and then there are guys who own G35s who drive around acting like asshats.

13. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I won't judge anyone personally, but as far as modding your car,...Rice is Rice! You know it when you see it...of course it's subjective and just my opinion. But civics are much more likely to be seen with dumb looking crap on their car, especially when compared to subie's. This is of course a generalization.

14. crashtke

I would say definitely not. It looks like a tastefuly modified vehicle.

15. crashtke

+1 to this. I have to agree 100%...you just know rice when you see it.

And I am not talking about people Milo, but about the tendency to throw a Monster wing on a car, some cheap stickers, a fart can muffler and then drive around at wide open throttle all the time while only being able to reach 90 mph because your monster wing is providing SO MUCH downforce that the miniscule hp of the car is not able to go any faster is just funny to me. There is rice and there is a well put together car. We all know it, I have heard most people comment on it. Hell search Google images for the word rice and honda. Again, this is not to single anyone out. The fact that Milo's vehicle is also going to be putting down some serious HP kind of cancels out his inner ricer desires.

Again...this poll is not about the person, but the vehicle...

16. GTscoob

White wheels, nuff said.

17. crashtke

http://www.riceboypage.com

My wife (being an American muscle owner with her 05 GT Mustang) loves this page. I actually like some of the cars, like the eclipse in v5....then he put the spyder emblem on it, lol.

18. Alex

It is impossible to "cancel-out" the desires of the inner rice.

19. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Are you saying white wheels are rice...it's funny 'cause I used to have white konig subzero's on my 93 prelude, then i wised up and went with bronze rota slipstreams. I can see white wheels working on a car with the appropriate color scheme like an audi touring race car.

20. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

My first car was a 94 civic del-sol and my second a 00 civic EX and third a 03 civic Si. Now the STi. So I do under stand how the civic can get the ricer label with all the black widow BS some dip s%its put on a 130 hp car. Bottom line in my opinion is everyone has different taste and thats what makes the world go around..I'm not a fan of the dubble decker wing on a civic eather.:coolugh:

21. Alex

Im fairly certain that if you paid for the car you drive, you and you alone are able to dictate what you feel is aesthetically self-satisfying. Whether or not that makes you a "ricer" is irrelevant.

Its Either, not eather (*ether) ;) Been watching too much fear and loathing :D

22. crashtke

I had a del sol. Loved that little car. It was a 93 if I remember right. Fun to drive, handled well stock from the factory. I put a decent system in it and drove it. It was slow compared to just about everything else I have driven, but it handled well.

I agree everyone has their own taste, but ya gotta admit that there are just some hideous cars out there....the 5 foot wings with the 72 hp engine that can't go over 75 mph any more due to the massive downforce caused by the wing, lol. I am still amazed that people even vote that there are more riced out Subaru Wrx. I guess I have not been in the community long enough to see all these so called riced out wrx. Someone point me to some pictures :) Always good for a laugh.

I even googled it and did not come up with but one mild example...wrx with dual exhaust. Did the same search on google images of Civic and rice and came up with tons of crap.

23. crashtke

I seem to remember a smart ass comment from you about my attempt at painting my scoop....something about how it was classy or some such...

24. Alex

Actually, that wasnt a smart ass remark ;) As well as the following is not a smart ass remark: I was impressed with your desire to further invidualize your WRX.

I should add that if you want to paint your s2000 pink and line it with fuzzyness (See F&F) that's cool too. Just because I do not think an owners choice of how he or she wishes to add that bit of "uniqueness" to their automobile is stylistically or monetary right or wrong in my own humble opinion does not mean I do not support their intentions to put ideas they find appealing into their automobiles. Within this inspiration countless innovations have entered the aftermarket community.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2007
  25. EJRex

EJRex Member

Well, I gotta say Civics, generally speaking.. I'm one of 4 wrxs in 4 surrounding cities (that I know of), and nobody's really put real money into them save for me, and most of mine went under the hood.

On the other hand, there's probably 10 civics (and the occasional accord) with fart cans, aluminum wings, and racing stripes per city block..

26. crashtke

Ah, I retract my previous statement then Alex. I thought you were being smart ass about how it turned out after the clear coat screwed things up.

27. crashtke

Ya know it is funny, a lot of the time I see WRX owners trying to make their car stand out less with removing the rear wing and such...

28. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

i know personally that hopefully i'm doing what has not totally been done before (somewhat original)... I'm satisfied with my performance for now and want to enhance the appearance...? Does that make me a ricer?

29. crashtke

I am not sure I have any idea what you are talking about...

30. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I guess I was asking if the simple addition of let's say a body kit...is gonna be rice no matter what or does it depend on how crazy it looks...?

31. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am saying Honda for now. That will be changing very soon though. The WRX is now getting to the point where you can get an 02 dirt cheap. Soon all little 16 year olds will be getting WRX's instead of Civics, and with that will come the surge in Subaru Rice.

We have already seen this starting to happen with this website. The Subaru crowd is getting younger and younger, and with that comes rice.

32. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

WRX owners just rice things out a little differently in general: putting an STi wing on a non-STi, installing BOVs when they don't help and even hurt, installing short ram intakes to get more turbo noise (while sucking in hotter air), loud exhausts... I guess it's ricing out under the guise of performance, but let's face it, it's no better than stickers or rimzzzz. :)

33. Brian

Brian Active Member

^^^ moose has gone NASIOC on us ;)

34. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i agree with moose on this one, if rice is defined by the "appearance of performance" rather than actual "performance gain", then i think it's close to a wash.

35. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I hate to say it but i have to say you are so right. :wtc:

36. crashtke

Ah but is the Sti wing not a fully functional wing that provides better downforce and aerodynamics than the stock wrx wing? And free flow exhaust which definitely make the turbo more responsive?

37. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am stepping out of this debate. The problem is, there is no real definition of what rice is. What one person considers rice, another person may not.

I consider rice to be stupid generic parts put on any car. If a part is made for 1 car model and only that model, then I generally don't consider it rice.

Rice to me is, Generic Non Functional Scoops that people buy at Pep boys and then are double sided taped to thier hood. Led Windshild Washer Nozzles, Aftermarket Tailpipes (Not Exhausts), Fart Cans, Gaudy Stickers, or parts from a different car on a car they are not meant to be on.

The STI type spoiler on a Civic is Rice. Slamming a car on Stock wheels, especially when they are just steelies with Hub Caps is rice. 22s on your hoopdy, Ghetto Rice.

STi spoiler on a WRX is not rice. STI spoiler has performance benefits, maybe minimal, but does have a benefit. Putting STI emblems on a WRX, now that is touching on Rice. It serves no performace benefit, and is basically someone tryign to trick someone into thinking there car is the more expensive version.

Thats my .02. I am done with this thread unless someone can provide a definition of Rice.

38. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I consider cheap coilovers with the car lowered too much, making it drive like sit, rice.

I also consider an STi wing on a non-sti rice. Hell, it is even rice from the factory on an sti IMO.

--
    Brian

39. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I like my obnoxious wing and was kind pissed(at first at least) when I noticed the hoodscoop was smaller on the 06'(even though its more effective)... Does that make me ricey? Is ricey even a word??

40. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

From the factory ???Wooo

41. Deke

Deke Active Member

Agreed to a degree.

42. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

See, this is part of the problem. Because something does not apply to your taste, does not make it rice.

There needs to be a clear definition of Rice for anyones statements to be valid.

This is just like the Fugly threads on Nasioc.

I have read thru a ton of these threads in Nasioc OT. Someone posts up a picture of a girl that is truely fugly. Next thing you see is people posting pictures of Jessica Alba or such and saying that she is fugly.

There is a drastic difference between someone that is not your type and therefore, to you not attractive, and someone that is fugly.

Same with Rice. There is a drastic difference between an STI spoiler not being your style, and calling it Rice.

43. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

well wouldn't most people agree that anything that isn't functional is rice?

44. Deke

Deke Active Member

Well, rice is a totally subjective term. One person's rice may be another person's treasure :) There isn't really a way to quantify it. Just like there isn't a way to quantify how attractive someone is. Everyone draws there own line at what rice is, I just feel that there is a point beyond everyones line. Hell, there are honda drivers out there with decals that say "rice."

You can bicker the line of what is and what isn't rice but I believe there are some cars that don't have those shades of gray. Just like there are some people you can look at and say "ew," there are some cars that you can look at and say "rice"

And I want to retract my previous statement. I do not believe that the sti wing is rice; it's funtional. It is just not to my liking.

45. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I said that in my opinion I considered it rice. I feel that rice is an extremely subjective term, and don't feel like arguing about why I feel that it is rice. I do enjoy the wing, and the strange stares that you get when you drive by old people.

--
    Brian

46. Trey

Trey Active Member

I guess I could ask you the same as your opinion and this poll seem biased. I mean what percentage of civic drivers are out there compared to WRX drivers?

I'm 35 and been into modding cars for 15 years. I've driven hondas, VW's now subies and hung out with many many people over the years. Out of all the people I've met over that time and all the forums I've chatted on VW owners are the biggest ricers IMO and Subie owners are a close second. The owners throw more crap on their cars it's pityful. Granted there are "ricers" in every car make, I mean, we've all seen the mustang guy with japanese writing on the side of his POS and a huge wing. They are everywhere.

The majority of the honda people I know are into modding their cars and going fast. Most of the people that hang on NASIOC are ricers IMO. All show, worrying about what cosmetic crap to put on their car next. Sure it doesn't take much to make a WRX scoot but 19" wheels, carbon fiber combat hoods and loud fart can exhausts, the latest JDM gadget are ghey, no matter what POS you drive....IMO.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've seen alot over the years......

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Exactly, you are emphasising my point here without realizing it.

To put it another way.

The term rice or ricey when applied to this topic can not include in the same sentence, In My Opinion, or I Think.

It is people using the term rice when stating thier opinion that has killed the conotation of the word. Rice would need to be agreed upon by a vast majority.

I could say that in my opinion, Black wheels are rice. By your standard my statement is valid for rice, but it can not be unless a vast majority agrees.

If you want an example of rice, search Lamarosa on Nasioc. That is a true dipiction of rice. Rice is doing things that are absolutely rediculous.

Rice can also point to the way something is done. Rice is used for the Honda crowd with their aluminum wings. The aluminum wing itself is not rice. When you look closely at the install skill, and you see 4 extra holes were some drilled in the wrong place, that is rice, but the wing itself is not rice.

Right now, my bezel around my moniter in the car, where I cut apart the stock surround and had to bondo it up a little, that is rice. It is shitty craftsman ship, and until I either finish it, or take it somewhere to get finished, it is rice. Now the second it is finished, and it looks like it is stock, it is no longer rice.

The term rice has been thrown around so much in the past couple years, that it has basically lost all meaning, and is now being applied to things that are absolutely not rice.

The weather stripping ($5 Front Lip) can be rice if not done well. If you do it cleanly, it is not rice, it is a decent mod. If you do it poorly, and you have buldges and gaps and parts where it hangs down further than other parts, it is rice.

Another example of rice. The guy that goes out and buys a $1000 body kit, puts it on the car and drives around with it unfinished for several weeks. If you are doing something before you are really prepared, that is rice. Putting the body kit on before you have the money to get it finished, its rice. The second this guy goes and gets the body kit painted, it is no longer rice.

Another one of my favorites in the Rice category, badging. It is extremely ricey to put that GTR emblem on your Ford F150, the Vtec sticker on your Celica, the Type R on a Chevy Lumina.

Putting an STI emblem on a WRX, is not quite rice. It is lame, your are trying to mislead people by making them think you paid $35,000 for your $25,000 car, but it could be a valid badge. It is the right manufacturer, the right model, but the wrong version. (Its on a thin line, but not rice)

48. crashtke

Ah, I said from the beginning that the poll was biased if you read back ;) Also I said percentage wise the percent of tuner cars that are riced out. Agree with you that there are ricers in every crowd, this discussion was specifically about honda v suabru. I feel the honda crowd is more into show and not into go. The NOS sticker on a car that has never seen nitrous oxide in it's life, let alone a NOS brand kit...good example. Cosmetic crap is not necessarily what I am talking about. As Alex alluded to, each has their own style and likes to customize their vehicles. As Jason said, what is rice to one may not be rice to another.

I guess I should have defined MY definition a bit better. I am not talking about modifying cars. I am not talking about putting go fast goodies on them. I am talking (much like Jason's definition) about stupid pointless modifications that I see no valid reason for. The electric blow off valve that makes the blow off valve sound but is in no way connected to the car's intake is one that comes to mind. Stickers for products that you don't even have on your car, Vtec and GSR stickers on cars not even made by Honda or have never had those parts, etc.

Now someone who makes a reasonable clone...I can accept that, hell the old muscle cars that were turned into clones were often times worth almost the same amount as an original if done well!! If someone were to throw a B18c1 into their civic and then throw a vtec badge on it..not rice. Someone who makes a nice show car...not rice. Someone who has a purpose built race car (like BrianGT) not rice. Someone trying to make their car a bit more personalized...not rice. Just my personal definitions.

Being 30 I have seen quite a bit as well. I have owned classic American muscle (63 ss Chevy II, 68 firebird, monte carlos, Buick GS, to name a few), I have owned hondas, ford mustangs (89 LX 5.0 vert stroked to 331 with 10k in the engine bay and my wife's current 05 GT Mustang), toyota products, many cars. My wife used to say I have owned more cars than I have spent years driving, lol. I have been involved with many car clubs...mainly on the domestic side of things though, this is my first import club that I have affiliated with in any way. Most of the others I came in contact with were all into show. While I like my car to look good and I like to have it personalized, I am more about function than form. I mean the Subaru Impreza in any form is not the most sleek car in the world...I mean it's a 4 door (Supra, RX-7 I think look a lot more....racey), but I like it!

-Mike

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  49. crashtke

Get your votes in now! Poll is make that tomorrow night at 11:30 pm

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  50. Trey

Trey Active Member

Cool, sounds like we are all on the same page.

Don't forget the guys with the nike sticker on the back window either. :p