Lets go to The mountains !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ezio350, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

An STi from my school is planning on coming too now so there's one more.

2. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Is he not on the forum. Get him to join. List updated.

I hope you and your friends show...you're half the people lol.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

i'm in if my throwout bearing is fixed and i'm off work. if i'm off and the throwout bearing isn't fixed then maybe i can ride with someone..... :wavey:

4. xpsi

xpsi Member

On 129 we kicked up a bit, around 50 mph, but 180 and 348 we were doing like 25 mph, there's was a lot of ice, snow and gravel. That's when I got hit on the windshield and broke the damn thing. :wtc:

Be careful out there.

5. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

We'll be there. Plus me and the STi go to school in Dahlonega so we have to go back there at some point on Sunday.

6. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Sweet deal, so are you guys cool with meeting at exit 14 on 400 or do you want to set up a time to meet at that walmart in Dahlonega. And is noon too early for anyone, no big deal what time for me! Just set it in stone.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

sweet just mapped it out on my map of north GA, looks like a good ride. i've done up to Dahlonega and back across GA52 back towards the Kennesaw area. that was a pretty cool ride taking you through marble quarry and amicolola falls.

8. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Hey guys, Devon here from Evolutionse....would love to meet up with you guys if you don't mind an Evo tagging along....GpJamesmvt And I have done a few mountain runs together. I also have a buddy from down in Douglas, Ga who may come up Sat night to drive Sun also. Once again, would love to meet up with you guys if there is room....Thanks, Devon

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i love EVOs :)

welcome

10. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Hwy 348 is a nice road and usually a lot less cars. :)

11. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Hellz yeah man! Evo's are frickin' awesome. More the better!

Everyone cool with meeting at exit 14 on 400 between 12 and 12:30 on sunday. Then we'll grab some food then head out?

12. lostinthewoods

That is hwy 20. Usually when i set up the drives peeps tend to meet at the Home depot on the east side. Kinda hard to miss, plus a starbucks there and gas stations :p

13. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Sounds good to me. So we'll meet up at the Home Depot on the east side of of exit #14 on 400N.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  14. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Thanks miloman, wrx's don't suck either....glad to be here!

15. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

See you guys there....

16. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

How are the roads up there recently. (I gotta believe that rt180 is loaded with salt/rock stuff, but how are the others?).

Fyi for any of you that are going north on rt400 @ X14. They have now for a few months had the new exit ramp open, so stay to the right now versus looping under the bridge and around. (Then you get to frogger over 4 lanes to make a left into the HomeDepot)

One other item.....Right before you either get onto Rt20, or are heading back onto the exit ramp when you leave, there is a sharp dip/rise. (Especially when you guys take off to go northbound, and just leave rt20 and start on the ramp)

17. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

My brother and I will meet you at exit 14. STi lives at exit 12 so he probably will too. I just have to give him the update.

18. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Anyone heading up to ex 14 from marietta. I know some nice back roads up to exit 14 from there. If you guys want to meet up at the Mcdonalds at sandy plains and 92 we can roll up to home depot from there. just a thought.

19. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm thinking that I might be doing this. This is another weekend though where I won't really know until Saturday night. Just as long as we don't get to crazy. Haha, I'm pretty sure my unmodded suspension on my bugeye couldn't hang with the Evos, Stis, and 350s:)

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

Another comment, walky-talkies (sp?) are usually a good idea. I say that not having any myself, but if anyone does, they help greatly with communication (better than handsignals out of your window).

21. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yes i'm going to have to find my other one and get them charged up. If anyone else has some motorolas bring them. we definitely will not be speeding. I already don't like the fact that one guy broke his windshield from gravel doing only 25ish. we'll play it safe, go slow, and keep a decent distance between one another.

22. Deke

Deke Active Member

Are we planing on stopping anywhere (aside form just a scenic view or two)? Are we trying to plan a meal into this or anything? I have no preference one way or the other, just wondering.

23. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Well i don't have a grill...we could get stuff at walmart at exit 14, just bring a cooler up there with us and stock it from there. This might need a little more time to plan than there is. If anyone else has a grill we might have a chance...and if everyone chips in a little bit for some hotdogs or bubba burgers and drinks. Does Vogel allow that sort of thing...it says $35 for a picnic shelter. That a bit much, I saw a nice parking aread off the road in the pictures from one of the other cruises. Anyone know exactly where that was?

24. Deke

Deke Active Member

I was there, but I have no idea where it was. I was just following the pack. We were able to grill though and there was plenty of parking. PM Lostinthewoods.

Like I said, I'm not really suggesting that we neccesarily should do this, I was more just wondering. The problem with doing it on this trip is that we're getting a much later start and thus we'd be cooking dinner out there and probably wouldn't be back to well after dark.

25. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yeah i think i'll do that...you got a grill?

26. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've got a George Forman :)

Haha sorry man, don't have one.

27. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Hey there's always lunchables...lol!

I PM'd him, it be a good place to stop if we can get some food stuff together, that or we can chill at vogel...beautiful park.

28. Jake

Jake Active Member

i'm getting more and more apprehensive about driving this with my throw-out bearing making all that noise. but then again i still don't know if i have to work. but i could maybe meet you guys somewhere (sandy plains and 92 is doable for me) and leave my car and ride with someone, cuz i really wanna do this. again this is all if i don't have to work, just wanna make sure if i do have it off.

29. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i can give you lift you big baby...a friend of mine may be riding with me too. So when we get up to 14 i'll pawn you off to someone like cheap jewelry! lol

30. Jake

Jake Active Member

haha, nice. we'll see. maybe someone else can ride in it and ease my worries and i'll just drive.

31. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i had a blast when i went w/ evoga///se guys.

there was just too much gravel and rocks but still had fun.

first 5 min of the ride i was like no~ my paint but after that i was like f' it.
    it was very fun.

32. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

well try and keep some distance from each other, i don't like rocks.

33. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

How much gravel are we talking about? Are there whole streches of road covered with it or just a few turns?

34. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

bump...

35. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I guess we'll just have to decide whether or not to get food when we all meet up. Like DeweyWRX said, we probably won't be leaving till later maybe 12:30 or 1 for people showing up late. So by the time we get back down to where we started it'll be pretty late. So we'll probably just drive straight through, and i guess stop at some scenic views and vogel. We can decide that up there.

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

well we went last sunday and the whole time we were driving the rocks came up. i might have to repaint my front bumper/ hood. and new windshiled.

but i was on this car like couple of feet apart.

37. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Weird, I didn't have the rocks problem the only two times I've gone up there. And the last time I was behind another WRX going kinda fast.

38. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I wouldn't stress about it, we will need to keep our distance. I don't think anyone wants to have to repaint or replace a windshield...so keep that in mind out there and out of respect for the guy behind you.

39. Deke

Deke Active Member

yeah if I make it, I have no intentions on tailing anyone that closely. Distance is great.

40. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I will make a final post tomorrow night that has all the details...just so everyone won't have to dig through the thread for them. Route, times, what to bring, final list of people showing up...etc. I've got some friends that are letting me know saturday night too whether they are coming or not.

41. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

The STi from my school has a friend that is pretty sure he can come but he would need to meet us in Dahlonega probably at the Wal-mart parking lot if that's ok.

42. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yeah i was gonna ask you guys about that...

Well I'll probably be in the lead...or whoever is I will let them know to stop there.

43. lostinthewoods

Of course there is gonna be gravel / sand etc on the roads. Its winter and GA toss all that lovely stuff down on some of those roads :)

44. I might want to go if there are a few others going. More fun with people than solo.When and where.

45. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

2/11 Run Information: I'll keep updating this one!

Times:
    Sunday Feb. 11, 2007
    Everyone meets at Exit #14 off of 400 at 12:00 pm (NOON).
    @ the Home Depot Parking Lot (on the east side of the exit.)

Bring drinks (no alcohol please), chairs, and walkie talkies if you got 'em, we'll discuss food when we meet up. We can run in walmart if we decide to do that and pick up some stuff real quick. Thought right now it's leaning towards just a cruise with no real picnic, just stop a couple places, grab some drinks and chat it up and enjoy the day.

Guidelines: This is just a cruise not a speed contest. No racing, no un-warranted speeding, no wreckless driving..etc. We'll want good distance between all cars on the road. Maybe slow down even more when gravel is on the road surface.

Route Directions:

[​IMG]
    400/19 North till we hit S Chestatee St. near Dahlonega
    Take a left onto S Chestatee St. and head into Dahlonega
    Inside downtown Dahlonega take a right onto W Main St/E Main St when leaving downtown it turns into clark street. This road becomes many different things but is basically highway 60 and 19 continued.
    Continue north till 19 and 60 split apart (60 continues N while 19 takes a right heading east) This is the base of the lollipop loop.

The loop continues north on 60 into Suches where we'll take a right on to Wolf Pen Gap Rd (rd 180)
    We'll continue on until it t-bones W Wolf Creek Rd,we'll take a right ...the continuation of Wolf Pen Gap Rd 180. (This road will take us half way around to the north end of Vogel State Park).

We may do Vogel state park as one of the stops to chill out, it's a really nice place. And's it half way around the loop.

The other half is after we take a right onto Hwy 129/19 heading south.
    Then we take a right at Turner's corner (where that little restaurant is) onto Hwy 19.
    This takes us back down to where we 60 and 19 split originally. Take a left and head back into Dahlonega and home again.

Participants:
    keeganxt
    My Friend Nino (mr2)
    My Friend Matt (3000GT)
    Strayen
    jkass85
    BC2003UGA
    sm04subaruwrx
    sm04subaruwrx's Brother (350z)
    sm04subaruwrx's friend (STi) Meeting us in Dahlonega!
    Devo's Evo
    GPJamesMVT
    DeweyWRX
    Audi Quattro (Meeting us in Dahlonega!)
    droobydoobydoo (maybe)
    bomjoon (maybe)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  46. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

47. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hmmm... I might see if I can get off work. We went last weekend and the gravel is pretty bad! "Devos Evo" had rooster tails of gravel coming off his tires at me :) I just said f**** it since my windshield is cracked already

48. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I won't be going. Little to early for me, and I have other things I'd like to get done.

Probably up for next time though.

49. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok, sign me up as a definate

50. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

those rooster tails were just to slow you down dude...you were closing in!!