Panoz Racing School Track Day March 3-4

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by andy251203, Feb 13, 2007.

1. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Well I bit the bullet and dropped $600 for both coming track days. Just wanted to see if anyone else is going to be attending. I'm gonna be in group C on Saturday since this is my first time on the track.

2. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

if i had 6 bens to drop, i would be...

3. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

I very well may be going. I've done this event numerous times. I run group A. Your going to be addicted now dude!! Road A rocks!! The Panoz guys are awesome. Really helpful. I'm getting married in April, so the funds may be short, but I will do Sat if I go to drive. Ya know, it's funny I always see Wrx's out there, and I am always the only Evo. Don't get that at all. Both are so good on the track. I've posted up on Evo se's site about Road A in March, and a few sounded interested, so hopefully we can haved some Evo's and Wrx's..... You are gonna love it Andy!! Mark my words....I'll keep you posted on my showing up......Be cool..Devon

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yeah Ill probally be there.

Pending the arival of some new tires, I need to practice for the TT on the 16th and 17th

5. andy251203

andy251203 Member

So for group A, do you have to have a competition license for that?
    I really want to get into club racing in the future at the tracks in the area, but getting the license is so expensive! $3500 for the panoz 3 day class! Are there any cheaper alternatives?

6. slowwrx

You can go through Nasa or Scca programs to get youre license and its way cheaper. like less than 500

Matt

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

They actually had a school last weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park for NASA. You just do some lead follows, point to pass, two wide around the whole track, and final race on Sunday

8. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I was looking to into running a 86 CRX in G Production for SCCA Club Racing. To get your license you need to participate in the licensing school (which they hold down in Roebling, I think it was $400); and send a physical to SCCA. I think this only gets your regional license, if you do a national school like Panoz or Skip Barber I think you can then get your national license. You then have to compete at two races to acutally "obtain" the license. After that you have to participate in two races a year to maintain your license. If you want more information I would suggest www.sccaforums.com, as I was looking into this over a year ago so things may have changed.

With entry fees, saftey equipment, tow vehicle, trailer, tires, housing/food and then acutally BUYing a car it's a crap ton of money. My G Production roller when it was running had $20K into it according to the previous owner. I think it can get it running again for around $6K, but then I'll have to replace engines, tranmission etc after a season of club racing. Point being its a crap TON of money to club race, be prepared!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Group C will suck, but once it's over with the real fun begins. You'll be able to run Group B on Sunday. I've run a bunch of these myself and like to go even if I'm not running.

10. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Just for clarification, once I run group C on Saturday, do I ever HAVE to run it again, or can I always do group B in future track days?

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ you'll run C group Saturday, then you'll move to B group on Sunday.
    You'll never need to run C group again.

12. Greg

Greg Active Member

I might come up there just to hang out and see how the new surface is...

13. Tal

Tal Member

Hi,
    I will be there with my STi - I cant wait to finally get some advantage out of my TG35R Turbo...:)
    It has no use in the AutoX events...

Any driving tips from the experienced guys? breaking points, ...
    Do they have race fuel there? do you think I should use it?

Does anyone knows Grand Prix Legends (GPL) computer simulator? I downloaded Road Atlanta track to it and I can actually practice laps with it - it is cool! (although you are driving a 1967 GP Ferari and the driving style is like Rally)

C U there

Tal

14. Greg

Greg Active Member

There is some race gas there (Sunoco) As far as driving techniques... Everything will be completely drifferent now since they've repaved it, so everyone should be on the same page. The previous 'oh shit' corners were turn 3, 5, 7, and 12. 12 really makes you pucker up, but just hold it down :)

15. slowwrx

Have you done a lot of track days?

Road Atlanta is a tough course, see if you can get a ride along with an experinced driver.

16. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

does the club racing have $$$ prizes for the top winners?

17. slowwrx

If you want to make a small fortune racing.....start with a large fortune.

I don't remember who said it but its the truest thing I have ever heard.

18. Meredith

Meredith Banned

what about "racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty"

19. slowwrx

LOL, thats a good one to

20. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Man...I wish that I could be out there also...I really enjoyed doing some ride-alongs last time. A group of us are trying to actually get SCCA out here in Kauai and possibly a Auto-X track in Lihue. I hope that it will fly...

Mark

21. Greg

Greg Active Member

You have to be rich to make money

22. pEd

Amen brotha!!

23. OZrally

OZrally Member

Hey I'll be up there but I might be working in the Pro Shop if so ya'll should come in and check it out.

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Have fun!

25. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Don't be bummed by Group C. If you fall in with a couple of others that can keep up with the leader, it'll be a good enough start. The only bummer is if you're the only one that can stick with the leader. Luckily, I was always in run groups where two or three of us reliably hung with the leader.

Don't be deceived by looks, either. I fell in with a guy who looked very middle-aged middle class, but we both kept a better pace than one Lotus Elise.

Moral of the story - when you are right behind the leader, follow him; don't hold back. He'll show you a good line.

And make sure to take the van ride at the beginning. It's a trip.

26. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Van ride? Do they take everyone for a hot lap in a Ford E-150 or something? :rofl:

27. slowwrx

Yes a 14 passenger van, and you wouldn't belive how fast that van will corner.

Matt

28. what is the date for this again? Ill be there again for photos.

Think anyone could give me and a friend a ridealong :(

29. Tal

Tal Member

March 3rd + 4th.

30. What kind of cars will be running on Sunday? Also how many? Is this like the last private track day? Sunday is the best day to arrive for photos?

31. pEd

^^ It'll probably be a lot of the same kind of cars that were there last time.
    Lots' of Porsche's, and a mix-mash of different other stuff.

I would expect a lot more cars on Saturday then on Sunday.

32. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm going to be stuck working a corner... so if you see my car, stop by and say :wavey: Also, if you all go to lunch somewhere, come let me know :sx:

33. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Guys, I will be running group A on Sat...I usually keep my car in the pits in between sessions. So come say hello...Looks like the weather is going to be good. Anybody else running group A on sat???

34. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Greg, will your car be at your corner?

35. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, I'll pull up to the corner where I'm working. Just if you come up, stay behind the fence :)
    oh hey, if any of those pictures you took Saturday turned out, sent em to me yo :) please

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  36. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

They came out real bad.....I'm certainly no photographer......You know what turn your on yet?

37. Greg

Greg Active Member

No, I'm going to call Jaqueline tomorrow. She called and asked me to Friday, but I wasn't sure what I had going, so I told her that I'd let her know. Hopefully theres still a spot open (I love getting paid to sit and watch cars go around the track ;))

38. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Cool... keep me posted. I'll come see you for sure.

39. Greg

Greg Active Member

aww :keke: j/k [​IMG] Good deal, I'll see ya then

40. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

just the kinda guy I am dude.....

41. Greg

Greg Active Member

:eek3:

42. Devo's Evo

Devo's Evo New Member

Not "that" kinda guy... but I do like that face on the little orange dude...See ya Sat at the track man....

43. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Just to be clear about some things. I can just roll up and then drive around the inside grounds correct?

44. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, you'll go through the gates on the side that go down to the support paddock. Stop at the 'guard' hut, and sign a release waiver and drive on down to the paddock.

45. Demo24

Demo24 Member

cool, and I will be allowed to drive to the back of the track as well(6 & 7)?

46. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thats how its been before

47. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Member

I'll be in the group B on Sat. I can't wait. It's been a LONG 3 months since the last track day in Dec. I'm SO anxious to get back out there. I got a few goodies since the last track day (clutch, MGW shifter, aluminum driveshaft/safety loop and Fluidyne aluminum radiator). Nothing to make me go much faster, but hopefully more reliable and safer. Hopefully more power will be coming before the next track day.

BTW, group C isn't that bad, just make sure you get in a group with similar cars that can stay tight together. The instructor will only go as fast as the slowest car so you don't want someone lagging 1/4 mile behind. You can always switch groups during the day if you find you don't like who you are driving with. Group B is definitely alot more fun (especially when you make a late pass on your best friend on the inside of turn 1), but I was grinning ear to ear on my first outing since I had never experienced anything like it before. My group C outing was fun because we all stayed tight and close to the instructor so he pushed harder and allowed us to pass several other groups.

48. So Saturday is going to be the better day to show up and take photos?

49. Greg

Greg Active Member

I take that back... I'm not working corners, and I'll be in the paddock hanging out ;)

50. Greg

Greg Active Member

I just had something pretty important come up that i have to do Saturday, so I'll be there Sunday. Anyone running both days?