18G 20G Cobb Exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by flashmagic, Feb 27, 2007.

1. flashmagic

flashmagic New Member

Hey i live in Midtown. I wante to know if anyone is running any of the mitsubishi turbos and/or a Cobb Exhaust? I have a 06 WRX and I'm looking to do a TBE this summer and possibly a turbo. I'm stuck between the BIG 16G or a TD05 8cm^2 18G. Then again i can be persuaded to get a 20g if i can experience it. SO IM ASKING: If someone does have a setup like this can I get a ride-along so i can judge for myself what to do?

2. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

That is a good thought. I think that I am set on a EVO III 16g, but would like a ride in a current setup.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i'd recommend a 20g... from what i hear, with a full exhaust, it will outspool a stock setup and make a good amount of power... in my opinion, the 20g is probably the best sized turbo for the EJ25 is you plan to stick with 93 octane

4. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Ah! I noticed you have a 2.5, damn you! For those I agree with Milo, no less than the 20g.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

mhmm

6. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Turboback>Cobb AP>Cobb Stage2>Larger Intercooler>Walhboro + Injectors>... then 20g. Your 06 WRX could be faster than a stock STi without spending odles of money on a 20g. You can push the stock turbo close to 300hp at the crank. Get the supporting mods then worry about the turbo, because I am sure by that time there will be new and better models of turbos.

7. flashmagic

flashmagic New Member

yea im trying to get around buying new injectors and im not shooting for 350+ at the wheel. Im trying to get around 300-320 at the wheels in the long run. Plus i mean if all else fails i can just sell the turbo and pick up a 20g when im ready. thanks for the help so far tho

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

16g and 18g are only for the 2.0L. Trust me you will creep like a madman on the 2.5L with the 18g or the s16g. For the 2.5L the smallest I would go is the 20g. If you get the 20g get the td06h with the 8cm housing. But first you need to support everything else.....don't just dive into a big turbo. Do just like Clemsonscooby above said.

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

my STi made 318 whp and 366 lb-ft with a TBE, TMIC and tuning on the stock vf39... if thats ur long term goal, u dont need to go with the 20g... and ur current injectors should be able to suffice too
    [​IMG]

i'd expect you to be in a similar ball park with a VF39 and big TMIC

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Holy torque drop batman! That's exactly what I want to prevent on my next setup.

11. wsaenotsock

wsaenotsock Member

Puke and die! Stock turbo torque curves are like that and suck on top end power.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

exactly... but the response is amazing and if thats all the top end power he wants, then that setup should suit him fine

13. if you really want to upgrade your turbo... go with the 20g(td06) and spice it up with some meth + tune
    great combo..... thats what im shoting for.... later though

14. flashmagic

flashmagic New Member

thanks for all the posts im pretty sure i know what i want now

15. reconracer

reconracer Member

Wouldn't you want to run at least 800 injectors with that 20G, that's what I run on 20GTD05 04 wrx setup, I know 06 is a little different.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hmmmm a td05h 20g with 8cm hotside should be fun. Even a td06h 18g with 8cm hotside would be fun.