If you were buying a new car...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SubiNoobi, Mar 7, 2007.

1. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

What other makes and models would you be looking at, besides a subaru obviously. I know that probably 90% or more of us will get another subaru as a new car, but what are some other models that have crossed your mind? OH yeah, and let's exclude the EVO, please, that's a little to obvious.

2. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

depends what your looking for...same category. probably a mazdaspeed 3 or 6. also i like the new lexus IS250/350 especially the AWD version obviously. if i were looking at an SUV i'd look at the toyota sequoia...truck...i don't think i'd get a truck. if i had an anything goes oppurtunity i think i'd definately go with the supra. that has been a fav of mine for a long time.

3. longfury

longfury Active Member

MS3, a v6 Mazda 6, Mazda RX8. Mazda MX5. I have a slight soft spot for Mazdas.

350z would be another car to consider. SUV...I would never buy an SUV. Truck...Toyota Tacoma or Tundra depending on how big you need.

I really want an RX7 FD but they are getting rare and even more expensive($12K+ for unmodded examples).

4. If they made the new suburban in a turbo diesel, then I would get one.

While keeping the bugeye, of course!

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if u have the extra cash, the BMW 3.35 is bad ass

6. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Personally, I am sticking to my guns. If all goes well in the next 1-2 years......

CARS
    BMW M3
    Acura NSX

Other
    New Tahoe

7. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

M3 or that 335 bmw.

a4 audi quattro is nice.

8. SubiNoobi

BTW, I'm not looking to get a new car, I'm keeping the Subie for a long time. For the sake of discussion I was considering sports or "sporty" cars (like mine, fun to drive, but not even close to a true "sports" car).

AirMax95, what happened to the NSX anyway, when was it discontinued by acura?

Also, what's up with the new mazdaspeed3 beating the wrx in track tests (was it in car and driver?) is that just beause of the tires or what?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  9. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 on the BMW 335. The IS350 is nice, too. But honestly, there's not a lot of other cars out there I would consider for my price range.

10. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

lexus IS250/350 AWD is bad ass or an M3 which I looked at. But for some reason I didn't feel right about buying a BMW

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

lol i am a bit surprised by the lack of audi recommendations. they would be at the top of my list. in fact, once i get the sti paid off i want to buy a old used TT quattro as a daily commuter car.

12. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

We have an IS350 and its pretty pimp!

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

As much as I love Porsches. I would not buy a German car. They tend to have reliability issues with the electronics. Thats what I have read at least.

14. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

only thing about audis is that the resale value is so low.

limited legacy is nice.
    s2000? 350z?

lots of choices. (gawd ~!i wanna say buy an evo soooo bad)

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

+1... and the 08 models look HOT!!!!

16. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

yeah if you wanna get the 10 wait till they work out all the bug and problems w/ the car. so id say 2009~10 model.

but you dont want an evo anyways.

miata w/ v8 in it?

17. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Lexus IS in AWD is only available on the 250. Not worth it in my opinion - heavier car with less power. Thumbs way down.

18. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

It was stopped in '05. Honda likes to kill off something before they introduce something new. Prelude=S2000 for example. Look for a new one '08 I'd bet.

Why on earth would you want to get away from Subaru? Build a Forrester STi! I can't wait to start mine... White on black! mmmmm....

19. jayj713

jayj713 Member

s2000, audi s4, or bmw 335i. Those new 335s look so sexy. My friend said his parents are going to get him one if he got a 4.0 this semester at tech. He got a 3.7 last semester so he MIGHT be able to do it :p.

20. SubiNoobi

"Why on earth would you want to get away from Subaru? Build a Forrester STi! I can't wait to start mine... White on black! mmmmm...."

Just to clear things up, I just wanted to see what you guys thought were other good cars out there. I don't want to be so focused on subaru that I am clueless about all the other great cars out there.

However, I am keeping my subaru and when I do want a new car, it will almost definitely be another subaru. Or maybe I'll build an STi impreza wagon!

It would be sweeeeeet if Subaru released the STi wagon (in the US) in the near future, I would get it in a heartbeat.

21. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/forester_sti.asp
    This is my next vehicle. I know they don't sell them here, but I'm going to build one. It's going to happen.

22. id get the new IS350....... hummm pure sex

23. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

i might even get an audi as the next car depending on how subaru styling goes and what my first post grad job will be.

24. thebigph

dude M3 is bad ASS but insurance it outrageous

25. thebigph

plus when they do fail...it's a son of a bitch cost wise to get it fixed

26. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

here's a post from another thread

27. thebigph

^^damn...i just did a quote for the M3 and i'm paying more now than i would. of course last time i was talking insurance for bmw's was with my brother and he's driving a 16 year old car. come to think of it he was the one bitchin about the insurance costs for the M3

28. longfury

longfury Active Member

Thats very true. The engines and drivetrains are awesome. The suspensions are great to. The Germans like gadgets and that is what fails and hurts their reliability ratings.

29. thebigph

^^doesn't bmw have the lowest rate of depreciation though. at least they did last year or so according to clark howard i think said that

30. longfury

longfury Active Member

Probably do have low depreciation. Doesn't mean that the car is reliable. :p

31. Deke

Deke Active Member

In no particular order, s4, 350z, 99-00 BMW 7 series (not new but they look so much sexier than the current ones), RX8, Corvette (even though I despise the average owner), TL type-s...I could probably go on for awhile, especially if I start talking about older models.

32. thebigph

yeah but what is it that makes their value go down less than other cars after you buy them if they're not as reliable? not trying to be annoying just wondering what they do differently than other companies like ford that have such a good reputation for reliability

33. longfury

longfury Active Member

Its because they built the great name and now its hard to change it. The electronics issues have only cropped up a lot since they put in a lot of the electronics. So the cars from before the late 90's early 2000's are great. The newer ones have gremlins.

34. Demo24

Demo24 Member

GTO

Sometimes i want a rwd car.

35. longfury

longfury Active Member

I wish I kept my RWD car(RX8 for those that don't know). I miss that thing everytime I drive the WRX.

36. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

E30 or E36 M3(hellrot w/ a modena interior:) )

37. Trey

Trey Active Member

38. crash#2

crash#2 Member

im looking at either a gti 4door or a mazdaspeed 3 for my fiance!

39. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

If I didn't have a wife (who would complain about the ride) and kids (who would have nowhere to sit) I'd consider a Lotus Elise. The Exige doesn't have a rear window, and that keeps bugging me.

40. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Ah yes, let's not forget about the Elise. :D Super sexy car. :naughty:

41. I'm right there with you bud.
    I'll keep my bugeye wagon until they bring an STI wagon here.

42. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Go kart with license plates.

43. longfury

longfury Active Member

Will a 5 door hatch work? Thats the rumor.