Come up with a new name, win a free burrito!

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Alex, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Greetings all,

With our moderately rapid expansion, we have been entertaining the idea of creating an additional name for our lovely community that entails a broader definition and is not simply "Atlanta". If you can help us name the community that you have come to love day in and day out, we'll say thanks by a lunch at Chipotle on us :D

Regards,
    Alex

2. Alex

Here's an example (and a bad one at that):

"South East Subaru Enthusiasts"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  3. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

*Wrx Exclusive*:fawk:

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

You have so much to learn.....

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok Alex, I was finally about to put my wrxaltanta decal on my STI... Are we changing the name completely or adding a nickname.. Like WRXATLANTA the "insert nickname here club"???

6. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

what's that supposed to mean?:cool:

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

8. gte123v

gte123v Member

this is my attempt at coming up with a name, laugh it up guys: All Wheel Drive Subarus Of Mississippi East, so it could be AWD SOME, or just AWDSOME (sounds like awesome).

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

how about just wrxsoutheast or wrxse (although thats a lot like evolutionse but who cares)

10. 7wolf

7wolf Member

i think that this is going to be harder than we think to come up with a name that everybody is going to like and use. i still like WRXAtlanta and the tought of changing the name to something different kind of sucks for all the original members and founders. i think (as if my opinion matters) that adding a "nickname" to the end might be a little better than total change. but whatever, i guess we'll see.

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

WRXSUX.com :D

Why not just come up with different regions that all point back to WRXATL?

WRXCHARLOTTE
    WRXOLRANDO
    WRXNOLA

or

WRXFL
    WRXLA
    WRXMS
    WRXAL
    WRXTN
    WRXGA

I dunno

12. wrxbb.com

bb = bible belt. :rofl:

The no beer on sundays wrx troupe?

ok, I'm really drawing a blank here.

13. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha, I like it :)

14. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

hmmm, southernrex.com I donno eather

15. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

wrxatlanta.com

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

Subaru-Tech, Subaru-East...

17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

+1

I kinda like keeping people from across the U.S. away. I just don't want to see this turn into a NASIOC... even an SESIOC would make me feel were less of a family. :wtc:

:barf: SESIOC....

18. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I still think Subaru Enthusiasts Club of the South East (SECSE AKA SEXY) is a nice alternative. But fine if you don't want to use it, I will buy my own Burrito...today in fact.

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Alex,

How about I buy you a burrito and you leave the name alone. ;)

The site is about the Atlanta community and local g2g's and such. Besides there is nothing preventing people outside of Atlanta area from joining.

Is this more about a business decision to enable marketing to a larger area?

20. I dont know about telling someone to send me a PM on the secse (sexy) board. :rofl:

Honestly, I like WRXatlanta.com. It just flows. Having different domain names pointing to wrxatlanta was a good idea.

MMMmmmm burrito... my lunch plans just changed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  21. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yeah i like it the way it is. Rebranding usually isn't a good thing. Most of us are in atlanta, not to dis anyone from florida or any other surrounding states, but it kind of gives us exclusivity. I mean i wouldn't be as active if I were in some giant ass forum like clubwrx or nabisco. The close nit size and people on this forum are what keep me comin back.

Edit: alright, alex did say additional name. but even if we came up with a url name that linked back to wrxatlanta.com what's the point. when people get there it'll still say wrxatlanta. which might suck for them but it great for us. it is what it is!

22. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

23. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

On the other hand, if someone wants to be part of our community, I don't want them to feel like they're not welcome. As long as everyone has a friendly attitude, I have no problems with global domination.

Maybe a combo of new and old name/logo is in order...? Like sub forums...

WRXAtlanta
    Hotlanta Area

WRXAtlanta
    Savannah Area

WRXAtlanta
    Miami Area

24. Greg

Greg Active Member

We have that in the G2G forum, but it really isn't that active

25. Alex

Well to shed some light on my expansion plan...

Basically, what I envision will happen is something along the lines of this--Lets assume that you have a WRX*state* title. WRX*state* would have its own frontpage, a portal if you will, that contains a majority of their state specific important announcements (g2gs, etc). A BBQ in texas doesnt really concern me, right?

Now, any additional content or forum mumbo jumo is being pulled from this site, WRXAtlanta.com. So any new threads they're seeing are the same as us. What would come in as an additional is potentially just a state specific sub-forum with each state having its own forum.

When this was first started, the goal was to become a regional community, however, given my limited resources at the time and the opportunities available to me simply going after Atlanta seemed logical. It was close, it was there, I could go out and interact with everyone.

Subaru sales are growing considerably for them right now, and there are plenty of new enthusiasts buying into the Subaru experience via both new and old (depreciating values on WRXs & STi).

We have a great connection to the head of the South Central region and I want to utilize that to its fullest. I would love to find the SOG type dealership in each state within our region and create the same environment that they've helped create for us.

The power exists in giving you all the ability to create a model that promotes knowledge-transfer, interactivity....

Anyways I could go on and on, but the basic point remains. The rest of our region, IMO, needs something like the environment we've created here, whether I do or someone else. No, I am not talking about taking over the US, or bringing down NASIOC. Im referring to changing the way enthusiasts find value via the internet. Subaru owners are one of a kind and given the right environment, they are capable of almost anything.

26. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I see your point, but do others feel left out because of the name? Let me digress... We have sections for the areas to post about GTGs, but maybe they don't use them because they don't know they're there. I've always seen Atlanta as the capitol of the South. I wouldn't guess our name is what's keeping people away. Adding South East Subaru Enthusiast Group (or something) under WRXAtlanta may help, but a cry to all members extremely OTP to spread the word may be the solution.

Even still, ***word of mouth isn't advertising.*** Maybe you could get in on that One Lap car Matt and SS are building? That thing is going to attract National Recognition.

As long as everyone is polite, I'm up for it. I've just had nothing but jerks on other sites and I like that everyone is reasonable here.

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:bigthumb:

28. Alex

We are getting in on the OLOA car :)

Ive always said the same thing, Atlanta is the capitol of the South.

Anyways, this is simply one of many ideas in my development funnel that I am playing with. When it comes to dramatic changes I try to get as much input from you guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  29. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Wrxaltantafloridatexassouthcarolinanorthcarolinatennesseekentucky.com (+ the remaining states)

www.wrxUSA.com

30. Trey

Trey Active Member

southernrexnex.com

...or all the red necks down here.

31. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I didn't mean to come off too preachy. I'm not trying to run things... I'm actually impressed by the way this has spread already. You guys have done a great job! I think the name is great, the design is great (BTW- it's not Christmas...), the members are great, the info is great... The formula is there. My point is, if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. There's several ways to improve readership.

Here's something that may or may not fly. Take a generic business card from Vistaprint.com (<- Very cheap) that you could hand out to all the supporting members (the ones that care the most) at GTGs. When WE see a totally stock WRX or STi in a parking lot, we'll slide the WRXAltanta.com card under the wiper. If they're already a member they'll add it into their collection. If not, they may not know about us, SOG, Sakari, SRDEC... I'll even design the cards. Another option is to make a .pdf file of the design and post it up here for us to print ourselves. We can print off a page and keep them in the glove box.

***We should also plan a photo shoot GTG with the intention of sending it to SubiSport. They love crap like that... And if we get 50+ cars together, I'd bet they'd dedicate a short story about us and our new attempt at gaining all of the S.E.

32. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

33. flip

flip Member

awdio - all wheel drive imprezas online

heh, i just like the awdio acronym... maybe switch up what the I and the O mean...

or maybe like awdeo all wheel drive east online

34. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

hahaha

35. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

WRXmetropolitan.com
    WRXmetro.com (no metrosexual jokes please)
    WRXurban.com
    WRXmycity.com

anything along the lines of the above would give the idea that although multiple cities are covered under the parent body, the emphasis is on the local metro area WRX scene

hence we can keep WRXatlanta.com and add new WRX'insert city name'.com as more and more cities join in :)

36. RADON

RADON Member

No legacy love? There is more to subaru than just WRX and STi...

37. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

There is?

;) I kid.

38. RADON

RADON Member

^ hehe

39. WJM

WJM Banned

scrsubarua.com

South Central Region SUBARU Alliance

40. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

No SVX love either. ;)

41. xpsi

xpsi Member

subaruftw.com ?

42. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

SESE - South East Subaru Enthusiasts
    DSSOC - Down South Subaru Owners Club
    SERITS - Subaru Enthusiasts Raised in the South
    SEMSOC - South East Metro Subaru Owners Club

I'll probably come up with more as time passes, lol.

43. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that's what I was saying..... ;)

44. Alex

Glad to see so many suggestions!

45. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

SWAOT.com
    subaru wrx atlanta owners trade

or simply STIonly.com

46. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Member

47. RADON

RADON Member

In reality, a name is only as good as the people with which it is associated. You could rename wrxatlanta to anything, but it wouldn't change the great community that this site and it's members foster.

48. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

WRXandSTILoveOnly.com
    BecomeaSupportingMember.com
    APlaceForPeopleThatDon'tLikeNASIOC.com
    It'sChristmasAllYearHere.com
    DixieFury.com
    RedneckRicers.com (probably already taken...)

and some real ones:
    SubaruSouth.com
    SouthernSubaru.com

49. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl:
    scroll to the bottom of the window and choose something from the drop down menu at the bottom left... i'm currently using '17th' ;)

50. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Nicely said.