Fp green vs Db TDO5H 20g

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wrxracer87, Apr 11, 2007.

1. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Just wondering what you guys thought of these two turbos for a 2.0 liter car? I know that the Green is supposed to make more hp but it is also supposed to be a very fast spooling turbo would it out spool the Db because they are about the same price and (faster spool + more hp for the same price = better deal.

Thanks in advance,
    Taylor

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

20g is a 44lb wheel and the green is a 49 lb wheel.
    The 20g will spool faster than the green. Obviously the green will make more
    power on top.

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

both are great turbos but you will be adding a significant amount of lag on the 2 liter.

4. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

What mods could i get that would reduce the lag short of a 2.5. im guessing a nice header would help. I already have full catless 3' turbo back and a wrapped invidia up. What else would be a good idea. I have heard that going topmount instead of fm helps alot but i take my car to the dragstrip somtimes and i cant stand the heatsoak that i get with the topmount arrangement now. Also what size injectors do i need if i plan on being in the 300-350 whp range?

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I would stick with the stock header. Meth injection would help ;)

6. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

If you are only shooting for 300-350whp, I wouldnt go with the 20g or the green. Miloman hit over 300whp with a DB super16g, and Coolrex hit over 350whp on DB 18g, both with meth injection

7. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Well i would love more hp i just thought that was about all that could be expected out of a 2.0 20g setup. I would probably stay away from meth injection just because it sounds like a good bit of trouble for a daily driver. I know a guy that made 306 whp on his 18g 2.0 daily driven. if i wanted a conservative tune how much more can i expect from a 20g?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  8. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

a good equal length header should net you some power with better spaced exhaust pulses, with a correct up-pipe it should also help with spool

9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Most headers dont give any noticeable gain in power and those that do seem to work well on some cars and not others. Spend your money elsewhere.

With a larger turbo, meth injection plus nitrous would help spool it up. Keep in mind that much after 300whp and your engine becomes a ticking time bomb, so does the transmission.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

11. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Thanks The 80 whp at 3000 rpms looks a little insane but i could probably bear it. The Green is definitely out of the question though. :wavey:

12. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Hope you're planning on a different tranny and never autoXing... But I'm sure you knew that already. Have you exhausted the stock turbo of all it's potential? Looked into a vf39,34,30? Those are great for a 2.0.

13. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

at first i was going to go with a vf22. But i rode in a friends 18g wrx and loved it. The numbers on vf series turbos look good but some people on the forums seemed unhappy with the power. Plus the idea of having an upgraded turbo and still having a chance of loosing to my friends stock turbo srt-4 keeps me interested in the 20g or at least an 18.