Where do I lift the engine? (2003 WRX)

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ptc075, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Okay, doing a clutch change, and I've opted for the easier(?) method of pulling the radiator & sliding the engine forward. I've got the car apart now, & we're ready to move the engine. The problem is, we're not seeing any good mounting points for the cherry picker.

Along the back, there's a short vertical bolt that was used to hold the intercooler bracket. Doesn't seem very likely, although it's the only thing I see close to the centerline of the engine.

Along the front, there's a bracket that supports the idler pulley. I've removed that, & I guess the bolts there *might* work... again, seems unlikely.

Both of these bolts/holes look WAY too small to lift the engine, so I'm looking at the factory manual now. It's surprisingly vauge on this point. All I see is a single picture, showing the engine lift with a cable running roughly to the 2 bolts I just described. Anyone use these points? Or others?

Thanks
    -Chris!

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

send a PM to Liquidforce. He should be able to help out.

3. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Make sure you're using a load leveler and bolt into 4 places around the intake manifold (as evenly as possible).

Here are some locations as examples:
    Turbo inlet tube mount.
    On the passenger side rear, where the power steering line bracket is mounted in front of the turbo.
    On the drivers side, from the side of the intake there is a bolt location at the top of each runner. 1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

The subaru service manual is in a sticky at the tutorial section. You should read that very carefully, it has all the information you could possibly need.

I also wrote a tutorial about removing the tranny to do the clutch install. I found this to be a fairly simple method with the help of one additional person. Check that out. I have pictures on my computer that I could send you, because I don't have them in the thread. Good luck.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The ac bracket and the intercooler bracket on the passenger side are the points that I use and are the ones that are in the picture.

6. STiBottom

STiBottom Member

Ahh you don't need to slide the engine foward just get under your car and wrestle with it for a while. Oh and make sure you you remove the shifter from inside the Tranny using like a long 8mm bolt IIRC (right Flip haha)

7. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Just checked that, looks like it's the same manual I have. Let me attach the pic they're showing. It's pretty vauge:

http://www.geocities.com/ptc075/pics/WRX_enginelift_lol.gif

So anyway, we did try using these two points, since it's what the manual said & all... Broke the rear mount clean off. I do NOT recommend this method to anyone, although reading thru the posts it looks like LF used it successfully.

The good news is we did get the engine out of the car & back in again. Ended up wrapping a chain around the engine a few times & using that to lift. It worked, but can't say it worked well, so I'm hoping to get a better idea for next time. pEd, I like your suggestions about using 4 bolts instead of 2. I may try that, although again, all these bolts seem really small to be using to lift an engine.

Thanks!
    -Chris!

8. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Deleted for dual post. :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  9. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Okay, bumping my own thread, cuz, well, engine's coming out again soon. Last time we did it by looping a chain under the engine a few times. I'd prefer to do something a bit more stable. So I'd love to hear from any & all of your about your experiences.

For those of you playing along at home, the Subaru manual shows 2 mounting points, one at the front, and one at the back. Here's their picture:

[​IMG]

The problem is, I don't see a solid mounting point at either location. To help illustrate, I went & removed the intercooler & belt cover. Here's what I see. The two lifting points should be somewhere in the two circles:

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the front area (red circle). The long metal bracket is the adjuster bracket for the A/C compressor. Maybe I'm supposed to lift from that bracket, but putting the weight of the engine on something designed to be adjustable sounds like a mistake. And yes, I did check, all 3 of those bolts are tiny if you pull the bracket out.

[​IMG]

Same story if we look at the back area (orange circle). There's a bracket back here that suports the intercooler. It's not very beefy either, nor are the bolts underneath. Doesn't look like something that should support the weight of a motor.

[​IMG]

I admit I don't pull engines often, but the few I have done have usually had 2 HUGE bolts, or at least large holes & you provide the bolts. The areas marked in the manual looks 'normal' to me, but I'm not seeing anything plausible. I'm wondering if this was a case of a lazy tech writer? It's clear to me that these bolts are NOT big enought to lift an engine:

[​IMG]

So... yeah. Anyone? If I've been looking in the wrong place all this time, that's fine, I can be an idiot. :) Just want to find a better way than last time is all.

Thanks
    -Chris!

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I use that bracket and the ac one.

The motor is less than 200 pounds so that bracket is more than enough.

You put the hook through the whole at the bottom of the bracket.

11. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Deleted for tripple post. Geez I'm a noob. ;P

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

the front hook goes on top of the ac near where the bolt that holds the alternator to the ac is.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Lift points are circled in green. Make sure that the chain you use is long enough so that it is not putting pressure on the throttle body when you lift it.

[​IMG]

14. osborne519

osborne519 Member

y take out the moto for a clutch change i didnt just jack it up and drop out the trans not hard at all pm me if u need help

15. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

I have pulled my motor a few times using tie down straps looped under the intake manifold. Seen here during the swap. Just be careful to run the straps above the fuel lines that are under the manifold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ptc075

ptc075 Member

Just wanted to say thanks to both LF & 992 for the pics. They really are worth 1000s of words. :D I would have never in a bazzilion years thought to lift the motor from that bracked by the compressor. The good news is it looks like there's more than one way to do it, so I'm sure I'll find something that works.

Osborne, I don't actually pull the motor. Take out the radiator, & slide the motor forward until it hits the frame. That's more than enough space to pull the clutch w/o needing to undo the softer connections.

-Chris