Meth GOOD QT BAD

Discussion in 'General Community' started by slowwrx, Apr 26, 2007.

1. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Ok quick story, THE SIEGEL and I headed out to tune my sti for Meth this afternoon. We made a couple of quick passes on the gas that was in the tank(chevron) then we filled up at QT. Car knocked first run no changes.

The Moral of that story, DONT BUY GAS FROM QT.

Now the important part...

Theoretically if we had of raced a brand new SRT-10 Viper we would have pulled him back in after he got the jump plus three cars....in theory

26 PSI on Meth and Crappy QT gas is fast

Matt

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

Nice! Sucks about the crappy gas though.

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Nice. Alex told me about this earlier, I bet your car would put most diesel trucks to shame in the torque department now.

4. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

hmm... this is little different from what I've heard from Scott. When he was tuning my car, I had full of BP gas. My car would take out timing randomly during tuning section. We added about 5 gal of QT gas, and then the timing curve came back to normal. Does this mean that Chevron gas is more superior than QT??

cliff note : Chevron > QT > BP

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

my car always seems to run nice on chev

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

the QT issue has come up a few times recently... i wonder if they changed suppliers or if their qc is getting lax

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  7. Alex_ATL

Alex_ATL Member

hmmm i always fill up on QT since one time i got BP and car didnt like it, QT ftw

8. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

As far as I have been able to tell. BP gas always seems to be down a bit from other stuff. The QT on Satellite always HAD "good" gas - it always seemed to run appropriate timing for the setup, and there were a NUMBER (10+) of times that cars seemed to have bad gas, and after filling up at the QT they got QUITE a bit better.

Maybe 6 weeks ago I had the first round of bad gas from our QT. I had a car that was just down on timing, I thought it might be bad, and then when they brought the car back having filled up at Chevron, it was normal. Then I had one that ran great all day, and when I added a few gallons at QT it lost a few degrees. I have since had cars that after having been filled up at QT ran poor timing and when we went down the street and added some Chevron ran VISIBLY more timing.

So, I have to revise my previous statements that I was okay with QT gas. Now it's Chevron, then Shell...

SS

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man that sucks about BP gas. We don't have Chevron here and Shell is way out of the way for me. We have BP/Amoco everywhere though. Scott what is your opinion on Exxon gas as those are plentiful here as well?

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

sunco 100 octane =P

11. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

Awesome dude, congrats...so when are you going to dyno? I'm curious on the #'s you'd put down.

12. Well this is good news. I just moved to a new house and I cannot get my usual QT gasoline and I was taking it easy on the car until I felt comfortable with the chevron gas I was using. Its good to hear that I am not missing anything with QT now.
    PHEW.

13. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

congrats Matt sounds like a beast as usual!

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm wondering if this is related to gas stations starting to use ethanol.

15. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I agree with the timing issue as well. I was pulling 4th gear and consistently running 10 degree knock correction. This was on Texaco gas. Filled in 10 gallons of QT (right by SOG) and KC dropped to 9 degrees above 5k rpm.

And I rode in Matt's car. Its FAST!!!

16. slowwrx

I'm not sure if we will be able to get it on the dyno before One Lap or not. Ill post up numbers as soon as I have them.

Matt

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is exactly what my car is doing on the BP gasoline Milo. When I was living in Florence I was using Shell gasoline. Now there isn't a Shell where I live now within 50 miles so I used BP. I drop KC to 9.5-9.0 after 5500 rpms! Gonna try Exxon and then Citgo. We don't have Chevrons here....sucks.

18. Alex_ATL

Alex_ATL Member

the only option around me besides QT and BP is Kroger.. gas there always seems good and i save money with kroger plus :p

19. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I think gas stations are swithching over from the winter blend of gas to the summer blend, I think they have to be switched over by May 1st. I don't know how that would affect performance, but I imagine it could make a difference.

20. slowwrx

As far as I know Georgia doesn't get winter gas, we have the same mixture year round.

Matt

21. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

is there a "pocket" tester you can buy to find out who's got good gas?

22. slowwrx

I carry a Siegel with me at all times just to test gas...

23. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Put a drop on his hand and he screams the octane reading

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Its gotta be the techron!

25. slowwrx

No youre doing it all wrong you put a drop in his mouth and he spits out a spread sheet with all vital info.

its like the RM+2 method but its calle the SS+2

Matt

26. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

haha..that mental image is just hilarious. :rofl:

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dude that is hilarious. I can totally see SS blurting out Chicago accent style all kinds of info!

28. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Here is an article that says we do change types of gas for seasons http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14806032/

29. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

us evos like Shell gas.
    never had a problem with QT but the car runs differently on shell.

i thought it wa just me but i have 2 other guys who say thesame thing.

it just pulls harder and smoother on Shell.

30. I have to agree^^^I use shell religiously, and with all 91 oct. slop to use out here, I have had 0 problems. Although I hear there is 100 oct.:drool: up by the airport in Phoenix....hmmmm, not too far from work, oh and the C16 in the shop...

31. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Can a lot of this variation be due partially to the station's tanks and pumps?

I try to go to a Chevron, Shell or BP/Amoco stations that have separate nozzles for each fuel grade. Has anyone read anything about how much lower grade fuel a car can ingest from filling up using pumps with multi-grade nozzles?

Note: I also avoid Citgo like the plague, since they're owned by a bunch of Venezuelan commies.

32. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I live downtown, and our gas officially blows. A couple of the stations, from different brands, have proven to be crap. Just thought I'd let that out there...

33. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

In the past, I have had decent gas from Texaco (Peachtree and Collier) and Chevron (Spring and 10th). Next time I fill up there, I will look at the knock correction and let you know.

34. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I use Shell and usually empty out the lines before I fill up since the person before doesn't fill with 93.

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Milo how are you monitoring your KC? Are you watching on a laptop or are you using some external visual realtime display? It would be nice if I had the DeltaDash display thingy that you had on your bugeye....didn't it display KC?

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i m the same way with "Hitsugaya" ^^ (bleach is awesome)
    if they put in 93 before me im happy.

i usuall look for shell with 3 nozzels for the grades.
    luckily i hav 2 in my area where i usually out in gas.

37. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

you can always throw a bit of race gas or octane booster to make sure it stays at safe levels...

maybe that's dumb...?

38. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

^^^ Not dumb at all, just most people don't have easy access to race gas. That is a good solution though. 1 or 2 gallons of race gas would MORE than cover the worst gas out there...

hmmm... 12 gallons of 87 at $2.65 plus 2 gallons of c16 at $8.50... nope, not worth trying 87... oh well

SS

39. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

theres a pump in old towne roswell that sells 105 i think! And it's a shell station. I' might head up there today...hehe.

40. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

if you are thinking about the one off of Crabapple, I think the ethanol concentration is especially high for that blend, the gas is blue in color if I remember correctly. If you find anything different, please let us know.

41. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I can see it on my data monitor.