wats my best option in headunit with ipod controlls?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by bomjoon, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

like the title says... whats the best brand : price ratio head unit if i wanted to hook up my ipod.?

i dont wanna buy the extra adaptor to be able to plug in the ipod i just wanna plug the ipod in the hole that it already has on the HU. is there one like that?
    kinda like the usb feature but its for ipod instead.

im a noob when it comes to sound sys. so please help me out.~ :)

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

Alpine All The Way!!!!!!!!!

3. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

alpine's need that adaptor thingie... but if i had to i was gonna go that route. with alpines

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

I don't think I have seen a headunit that would allow you to plug the iPod in directly without cables.

I do have a 9856 with cable and harness already set for a Subaru. I even have a DIN pocket to go with it.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

Alpine.

^^ he drives an EVO^^

6. BattleWagon

BattleWagon Member

Alpine with the $20 cable. you can put the ipod in the glove box and never mess with it again cause you controll it through the head unit. This is what i have and i love it!! I have the IVA-W200, but most new alpine units are full speed I-Pod control

7. socrates42

socrates42 Member

Alpine full speed, all the way

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

Oops! I have being such a noob lately.

9. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

full speed ipod controll? hmm i went into like best buy website and checked out some HUs but never said anything like that....

i guess i need to check that out.

10. FACE

FACE Active Member

I put mine in the center console...Im lazy at times and dont have to lean over to the glove box when i gt to the house...:rofl:

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

btw i think alpine is the only true full speed ipd control...i hae seen others that just use the headphone jack but you have to change tracks on the ipod....i may be wrong though...

12. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

you wanna sell it to me?

give me an offer.... how long have you had it?

hope i can find me a harness that connects to the mitsu cars.....

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah, I would love to sell it. I have had it for 6 months but I only used it for about 3 before I took it out when I traded my Subaru. I was hoping to get about $145(make an offer if thats too high, it retailed for about $230 new) for it. Its in perfect condition. I can take some pics tonight if you want.

14. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

pics will be great.

i have to find out if i can get the harness that will fit the player. i assume that all "alpine's to mitsu" harness will fit but you never know....

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

I will get some for you tonight.

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

you just need to get a wireharness for you mits. and re wire it...its easy man red to red black to black...you get the point

17. FACE

FACE Active Member

they are 20 at hifi buys...

18. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

well see my wires behind the stock cd players is all white... AHHHH~! so i have to get the harness...

we will see.

i pmed you "longfury"

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

Replied. :naughty:

20. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

oh when you take pics can you take the one for the harnesses?

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

I was planning on it. :)

22. sti37

sti37 New Member

i like alpine

23. BattleWagon

BattleWagon Member

what year is your car, and how many speakers do you have?

you probably need the 70-7001 harness

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  24. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

its an evo 9. 06' 6speaker 2 being tweeters.

no infinity stereo package. just plain ol' stock radio.

any news " longfury" ??

25. longfury

longfury Active Member

BattleWagon is right. Will need the 70-7001 harness. I have to find one locally so I can get a price.

26. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

best buy supposed to have them since they sell alpine's now.... but the harness that comes out of the alpine hu how am i gonna wire that back since you already did a cut and solder job on it?[​IMG]

27. longfury

longfury Active Member

I was going to separate the 2 harnesses tonight actually...then you can solder or whatever the mitsu harness to it.

28. jayj713

jayj713 Member

cut it again and solder again lol.

29. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

you know what... dealing with the harness problem is one thing i hate to deal with.
    since all my wires are white i dont wanna mess with trying to figure out which wire is what.
    i thought it would just be plug and play deal...

i'll prolly just pay a little more and get me a new unit. and get it installed for free.
    i know im lazy. lol

30. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

thought id let you know before you hack into the wires and go thru all that trouble.

31. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Thats truly bizarre that mitsu included all white wires, are you sure there isn't a small colored stripe on each wire. I have installed aftermarket HU's in all of my vehicles and have never seen a non color coded wire assembly...

32. longfury

longfury Active Member

Doesn't matter to me. Just let me know.

33. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

well it is colored at the back end of the harness where my hands cant reach and its wrapped in this plastic coverings on top of the electrical tape. to get to it i have to take out the dash which im not about to do...

if the thing was just plug and play i would be more than happy to take it from your habds but i just donr feel like trying to figure out which wire is what.

unless its a deal i cant refuse then its a different story... lol

34. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

next time i do some work to the headunit area i'll take a pic and post it up.
    and show mitsu's another crappy/useless work to make things complicated.

35. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I believe you, its just bizarre of Mitsu...:confused:

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i tried to tap into the power and acc wires for my gauges thru there but i gave up when i saw that they were all white.

it want like that for 8's just 9's i dont know why.

37. FACE

FACE Active Member

The wire harness you buy plugs into the stock harness that unpluggs from the stock radio...then you take the alpine harness are wire it to the purchased harness...they are color coded...you should not cut any wires and can use crimps instead of soddering...if you want some help just hit me up!!!

38. FACE

FACE Active Member

should have gotten a subaru...:naughty:

Just given you a hard time man...:)

39. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

thanks but the alpine harness that he had has already been cut. so...

40. longfury

longfury Active Member

All you have to do is cut the Subaru part off and crimp on the Mitsu bits or I can unsolder it. I don't care as long as it sells.

41. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

like ive said before if i dont have to do anything other than just plug and play i'll buy it.
    so if you can make it so that its ready to play for my car i'll buy it.

42. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

if you can make it work so that i can pick it up from you id like to get it today.

43. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

it shouldnt matter which ipod i have right?
    i got the old 15 gig one.