Victim of fraud...be on the look out!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShaneSTI, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

So last night, my wife and I notice a pending transaction in my checking acct for $0.70 from a "Lumpys' Bar and Grill" in Davenport, IA. I'm like WTF? I call B of A to ask about this and they said once it clears, I can dispute it. So today, I get a call from Visa Fraud Center stating that that a transaction for $900 and someting odd change was done in some town in Italy. I told her, I was definately not in Italy. She shut the card down on the spot. She said that people will try and take out something small like that 0.70 then purchase a bigger amount. Everyone, just keep a close look out of your acct's. Crazy eh?

2. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Sorry to hear it man. Any idea how they got your info?

For anyone concerned or interested, I would recommend a visit to Equifax (http://www.equifax.com/home/) and get a "Equifax Credit Watch" subscription. I had a need a few years back when some of my company's HR computers were stolen and I just continued to renew it. The Credit Watch is a live credit monitor alerting you to any suspicious activity on your credit file - inquiries, change of address, balance increases, etc. The alerts are configurable (e.g. balance change of 25%, new inquiries, etc.) and can be sent via SMS or email.

For me, it has been worth the investment, as good credit can make or break deals in this world. I have been fortunate enough to not have any fraudulent activity, but it's piece of mind at the end of the day. My 2c.

3. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

I have no idea. My work partner said it happend to him once when he used his card as "debit" at a gas station. I do know that everytime you use your card as debit, than someone could get your card number and use it. That's why I hate it when you get a receipt and the whole 16 digit acct number is on the receipt.

4. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

5. cannarella

cannarella Member

I just got done dealing with that on my AMEX. I used my card at Hudson News at the airport when picking up someone and the next day the crap hit the fan. Charges in China, India, here... What a PITA. We did not know about it until AMEX called us because our account traffic was odd. It turned out that whoever had the card tried to use it at over 70 online stores in one day but were rejected because they did not have all the information needed to complete the transaction or were filling it in with bogus data. We did receive some stuff in the mail. Nothing bad, stuff like BMG, Disney movie club, and some software. We called the companies, returned their stuff, and got our money back. It took about a month to clear everyhting up and get all the changes changed. I feel your pain.

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

7. lostinthewoods

Many other skimmers out there to.

Other way is to just pick up peoples receipts. You are bound to find a place that still prints out all the card digits. Get online and start to order. I believe if u keep each order under $500 basically the CC company writes it off and its Petty theft vs a felony. Send the goods to an empty house and just happen to be outside there when it is delievered sign for it and presto.. LOL

8. cannarella

cannarella Member

9. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

wow, you know TOO much about this.....hmmmm :coolugh: :keke:

10. lostinthewoods

yeah yeah.. just odd ball ways to work the system I have " heard" about from "friends"

11. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

lostinthewoods cannot be trusted.

12. lostinthewoods

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

13. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Even if you get all the digits you still need the billing information and stuff don't you? And like those security numbers on the back of the card

14. YA i've also heard this from people...that I know....

Side note: I've sold the LGT for a Porshe 911 Turbo. J/k

Not all websites need the CID thing (is it CID? Well 4 digit number).

15. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

good question jayj713.^ regardless, these people out there know how to steal our debit/credit card info which sux @$$. why don't they just get a REAL job like the rest of us, damnit!lol

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

If those people would spend their time on trying to make it legit as they do scaming they could go far...there is little if any respect left in this world
    And just cause i like to hear my car and drive fast at times doesnt mean im disrespectful does it?

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sorry to hear that, although the credit watch bit sound quite usefull.

18. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

isn't it a crime now to print more than 6 digits of that information? I thought i saw a clark howard piece on that....

19. lostinthewoods

Probably so, but I imagine some of those back country places still dont abide by that.

20. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

luckily i wasn't charged that $900 bucks cause i didn't have the funds in that particular acct so it rejected it...thanks gawd. people suck!

21. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

22. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

^thanks!