Something weird is happening with my computer.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jayj713, Jul 6, 2007.

1. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Ok so this has never happened to me before. My internet works completely but, 90% of the websites i try to go to will not load for me The image attached is what shows up in place of the website im trying to visit. wrxatlanta and a few other websites seem to be the only ones working for me. It says to "Download Installation Software" But it doesnt say what it's doing or anything like that. It also tells me to turn off all firewalls, antivirus, and popup blockers. So i'm pretty sure this must be a virus of some kind. And the link that the download is linking to is "http://cdn/downloadable_install_wizard.exe"

So, any advice?

EDIT: Oh yea another weird thing, my upload speeds have been insane lately. It used to be capped at 40kbs but recently ive been getting 100+kbs upload speeds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

it maybe a modem problem. i had a similar problem a while back and it was my modem. my download speeds were crawling but i had very high upload speeds. have you called comcast?

3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I think ur stuck downloaidn the software. This happened to me on all my computers that where running on my network. I downloaded the software and then uninstalled it and i was surfing again.

My speeds about 1 month or so ago got crazy. The last time I checked I was at 10meg down / 1.5meg up.

4. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

yea, you need comcast's security certificate now to allow you to use their gateway.

5. slug

slug Member

Damn whos your ISP?? Comcast?

6. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

yup comcast. I reconfigured my router and VOIP router ,so the VOIP was on the backside.. Speeds went crazy. Probably has something to do with there "powerboost"

7. slug

slug Member

Wow, I recently went to bellsouth b/c my comcast wouldnt get over 3mb down and 400kb up. I wish i was seeing numbers like that especially the up, i've been thinking about hosting my website @ home instead of forking money over to a hosting company but with the up speeds i was getting with comcast and bellsouth only offers 512 it would be painfully slow to do so.

8. slug

slug Member

^^Sorry for the thread jack have you tried reseting the router, and if so are you using a static ip?

9. jayj713

jayj713 Member

I just figured out that directly connecting my modem to my computer makes it work fine.

But, I think my router is broken. When I plug the modem into it, all the LAN lights come on even though none of them are plugged in. Probably bricked or something. O well, it was a piece of shit v5 wrt54g.

10. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I thought the v5 wrt54g's were good because you can load the linux builds on them.

11. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Yea all the wrt54g can get those third party firmwares on them. But the v5 and v6 have half the memory of the older ones. I have dd wrt on my router.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Comcast hasnt asked me...they've probably forgot I was a customer.

Wait, I complain daily to them though :dunno

13. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I complain at the drop of a hat. So I rarely have problems except when my gf forgets to pay the bill. Just call comcast, have them reset your modem and make sure your account is all in order. Then power cycle your router and things should be ok.