Defoulers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by D_K, Jul 2, 2007.

1. D_K

D_K Member

O.k so I have to pass my emissions by this month, and I am running catless. I spoke to Mahdavi about getting a 'Defouler' and installed by them for $35. Does anybody know anything about it?

Or are there any other options to pass emissions?

In addition, the K&N typhoon intake shouldn't be throwing the maf off..correct?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

3. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

the packs come with two, so I have what you need in my garage. I'd give them to you, but for $2.99 x2 you can buy your own. Let me know if you want to come pick them up. So far (a week) it's working for me. I installed it and unhooked the negative terminal for about 5 seconds to clear the CEL. I have about 220 miles on it and it hasn't come back.

4. D_K

D_K Member

i only need one defouler right? I really don't know much about them except the fact that it connects to the o2 sensor.

5. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Actually, it's two parts that connect together and then screw into the sensor. It's a double stack thing. You need to drill into one a little bit too. I wish I knew the part numbers off the top of my head. Searching forums will certainly find what you're looking for.

Wait, is the CEL even on? If I'm reading your post correctly, someone offered to install this for you. How much are the going to charge you? Are you going to buy an Access Port? If so, you don't need this. The AP will remove the CEL for this problem.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. D_K

D_K Member

Yes the Cel is on. I might just take it to MM and talk to them see what they can do.

or give the guy who offered to help a PM.

7. D_K

D_K Member

Actually, I just spoke with MM and they said if I bring the part they will install it for me.

I'm trying to search for the part number and stuff but i am having trouble finding it.

8. D_K

D_K Member

Some guy on IA is selling a used Perrin O2 Simulator. What is that compared to the defouler? is there a difference or?

lol, i'm trying to do whatever is cheaper and faster to pass. =/

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

What em do you have?

A simple reflash with open ecu tools to remove the cel is the best route.

10. D_K

D_K Member

I see. Well, is there a particular place I should go to get the emissions, or are every emissions place the same? I have an 05 so I don't know how they will be checking mine.

11. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

with an '05 you don't need to get your emissions done till next year

12. D_K

D_K Member

Really? Wait why? but my tag says July 2007

So do I just go to the tag office and pick up my new sticker or what to do next?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  13. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

yep, with any new cars, you have a 3 year grace period where you don't have to do anything except go pay and get your new sticker.

i pulled up to an emissions place 2 years ago and they turned me away saying i didn't have to be there.

my car is an '04 and this year is the 1st year i've had to actually go to get the emissions done

14. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

yes, if you have an '05 you don't need it. You will next year.
    Just go to the tag office and hand them their tax money. You don't need an emission test.

We should still fix it though. 404)285-8261 whenever you have time give me a call.

15. D_K

D_K Member

Indeed! I will be giving you a call.

thanks guys.

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

search ebay For CEL fix...the $12.00 one works fine for me no codes

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  17. D_K

D_K Member

18. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

that would work.

19. FACE

FACE Active Member

20. D_K

D_K Member

sweet

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I like to keep stocked up on the defoulers... I tried to defoul a maxima to bypass a crapp y cat, and it was like "fcuk you!!!", and refused to work right until the owner put a new cat on teh car. I am glad the Subarus are compliant to defoulers to avoid non-cat troubles :)

22. D_K

D_K Member

So I just got my defouler in the mail yesterday, and now I need a place to install it. I called Mahdavi, and they quoted me $50! I would do it myself but I don't have the proper tools nor jack. =(

can anyone help me today?

give me a buzz 770-235-7709

23. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'd go ask Midas. I'd be shocked if they even charge you $25. I used the one off... what is that, Howell Mill? Somebody help me out here... 17th street dead ends beside the water plant, go right towards 75. It's on the right before the new Walmart/Officemax/Wendys. If that's Howell Mill, you'll take Collier out of Buckhead and turn left on Howell Mill. Cross 75 and it's about 100 yards on the left.

You could drive up to kennesaw and I'd help. I'll be off around 6.

24. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

why didn't you just get them from pep boys?

25. D_K

D_K Member

Is it a mechanic shop, or?

Well, I just spoke to a buddy of mine and he said I could use his ramp at his house. I am going to try that, if all fails then I will be giving you a call.

Thanks man.

26. D_K

D_K Member

Well I wasn't to sure of what to get, and what it looked like. I found one on ebay, and 'FACE' said he had the same one, which worked great. It only cost me $12 including shipping.

27. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

$5 at pepboys