why impact wrenches?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by thebigph, Jul 25, 2007.

1. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

so i get up the other morning and get ready to go somewhere when i realize that my left front tire is considerably low. so i check it and the inside of the tire is worn all the way through and so i check all the tires and it's just the front ones that are worn that way. i take it to a tire place in po-dunk FL (where i was visiting) and they dont have the tires to replace. so they put the spare on however in order to get the flat off they have to break the lug bc the last mechanic that put it on cross threaded the bolts bc he was using an impact wrench. i finally got the car to a place that has tires that i need and they call me after i dropped it off and said it was the same way on the passenger side. my question is to mechanics who use the impact wrenches is it just to save time and they dont care that when i replace the tires next time i'm going to have to break off the lugs again. am i the only one who has this problem? does anyone know what i'm talking about?

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

Faster, less work. But yeah I broke the same lug twice and the tire place that was over torquing them broke it once. Amazing!

3. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

i had to replace 2 on the '03 due to this. the front isn't a big deal, but the rear is a PITA!!!!!!! I keep a spare in my toolbox for this reason.

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I have some spare lugs if you need some. (we swapped to ARP long studs for our car)

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

I forgot to mention this was on my Honda. Never broken one on the subie....yet

6. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Your lugnuts aren't aluminum are they?

7. WJM

WJM Banned

Dunno.

IIRC I dont think I've ever touched Phil's wheels/lug nuts...so I'm in the clear! *whew*

8. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

When I had my first set of new tires after stock. The guy at discount tire broke my gorilla lug key because he used it with a impact wrench.

9. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

nope should have known to bring it to will...hind sight is 20/20 right

10. we use torque sticks which limit the torque you can put on a lug. and yes air guns are faster/easier for removing lugs.