Bridge collapsed in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShaneSTI, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

I'm sure a lot of you have heard already, and I'm shocked!:( If not, turn into CNN. My prayers go out to them and their families.:( I know this is bad to say, but I think the death toll is going to climb as the hour goes on....damn.

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I have two friends in Minneapolis. Luckily they are out for work.

The incident certainly is a tragedy.

3. Trey

Trey Active Member

Reminds me of that movie...Mothman Prophecies.

4. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

I heard about this. Its so sad. My heart goes out to the friends and family involved

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

my condolences...

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i was listening to the news today..only 4 people have been confirmed dead the rest are just minor injuries. it certainly could have been worse!

7. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

It can always be way worse but there are still about 30 missing

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

bah..worse case scenario is that they are in Heaven with God :)

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

That is a good way to look at worse case scenarios

10. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i was getting my haircut this morning, and her son's soon to be mother in law was heading up that way, and they have not been able to get in touch with her...as of right now. i'm curious to know why the fawk this big ass bridge suddenly decides to give way...crazy.

11. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

wasn't it lack of repairs due to tax cuts? I saw that somewhere but can't confirm if it was at all legit

12. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

That's Very sad about that. What's worse, across this U.S. there is plenty more bridges thats higher, bigger and held up by cables only. An oh yeah I drive an 80 thousand pound vechicle over some of em :eek:hnoes: yeah i'll be thinkin twice and going around if possible.

13. I saw a later interview with these two girls who couldn't find their mother, but sure she was fine and doing well...it was sad the newsperson later said she was one of the confirmed dead.....

14. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

This is a very sad incident... and it is terrible it happened at rush hour. And the fact is, even though engineers and designers try to make bridges as safe as possible, it is still hard to know exactly how any the bridge will stand the test of time.

I know many of you (esp. all you Tech people out there) have seen the Tacoma Narrows bridge. This is what happens when the wind causes a suspended bridge to oscillate at its resonant frequency:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Fi1VcbpAI
    Scary shit.

15. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

that's horrible!

16. cannarella

cannarella Member

So I have been out of town and completely out of touch for a week and came back yesterday and read abou this. Soo sad. It is just amazing that more lives were not lost.

17. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

18. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

19. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

whoa...yeah, those are some crazy pics.