Dlp Tv

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cannarella, Sep 27, 2007.

1. cannarella

cannarella Member

Anyone have one? I am looking at the Samsung HL-T5087 with the new LED light engine. No bulb to replace or color wheel. Anyone have any experience or other recommendations? Anyone work at an electronics store?

I am looking at this one b/c the start up time is like seconds and again no $250+ bulb to replace. It also has the capability to hook up computer, and run pics directly off a USB jump drive.

I don't want to spend the money on a LCD or plasma b/c I am not putting it where it could be hung. Light control in the room is not a problem either.

Thanks
    Andy

2. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I have a samsung DLP and love it. We have not had any issues except me being lazy and buying a calabration cd.

We have a little older model HL-R5688

I actually found a pretty killer deal at HiFi Buys. The 56 they had was priced the same as the 50 at all the other stores around the metro.

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I purchased the Samsung HL-S5687W about 6 months or so ago and love it!!! Love DLP because unlike plasma you don't get that huge glare on the screen from various sources of light...Just had DirecTV install HD DVR today too..man I can't wait to start using that..

4. cannarella

cannarella Member

Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming. I like the price at Fry's. Much better then HH Greg. I haven't checked HiFi Buys yet. I really didn't want to buy from HH Greg. I have been reading horror stories about their service after the sale being non existant.

5. Eco Auto Clean

stay clear of hifi buys.... they are going bankrupt..just FYI..lol.. I got all my home theater stuff from Circuit City... I usually find them pretty reasonable..Frys also has some good stuff cheap as well..those two I would think would be your best bet

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

7. I'm pretty much a brandsmart advocate now. I always find the best prices from them on electronics and appliances.

I flip houses so I go there often for new appliances.

8. Eco Auto Clean

oops yea brandsmart too..good stuff..

9. Eco Auto Clean

also if you cant wait a few months Im sure holiday specials will be coming up real soon!

10. cannarella

cannarella Member

All reconditioned stuff from what I hear. I want new for something like this.

11. cannarella

cannarella Member

Yea, but I want it now... I may have to wait.

12. Negative good buddy - All new stuff at BrandSmart.

At least it better be!! :sx: They would have to disclose something like that, right?

13. cannarella

cannarella Member

What about service after the sale? That is important to me.

14. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

We've had a 56 inch dlp for at my parents house for a couple years now, it's awesome. Nothing better than watching HD Soprano's on it.

15. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

I have the 46in Samsung DLP HL-T4675. I love it!!!

16. Trey

Trey Active Member

DirecTV just added 21 new HD channels yesterday and more will be turned on next month then more again in Dec for a total of 100. w00t!

17. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I had HH Greg / Fry's match a price from brandsmart. Just swing by there get your low price and then head to ur preferred electronics shop and buy :)

Price matching is great.

18. I couldn't tell you. I haven't had to return anything yet.

I did buy a service plan for my 55inch Wega tv, so if anything does go wrong I'll find out. heh. :sx:

19. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I was looking at the DLP led engine and it is claimed to have a 20,000 hour life. Say if the set was on 16 hours a day everyday this would be about 5840 hours a year. If this usage pattern was maintained the TV would be beyond its expected lifespan in four years, or eight years if it's on for 8 hours a day.

I would like to know how much the light engine costs and how much it will cost to replace.

As far as picture goes, when I was at circuit the Samsung, and Mitsubishi Diamond DLP's looked a lot better through my eyes.

I do like the idea of LED and laser DLP sets which are thinner, cooler, and consume less power. Has anyone heard much about upcoming laser lit DLP or LCOS sets?

http://www.tvsreview.com/projection-tv/samsung-hl-s5679w-56-led-engine-1080p-dlp-hdtv-review/

20. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Rob,

It is actually a 42 inch....I bet you are loving it for the great deal I gave you for it......

Mark:hsnono:

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

find someone at best buy and use their discount. won't find a better deal than that, haha. when i worked at best buy the LED DLP's had just come out and were pretty badass. you really can't go wrong with a samsung. the only downside to a DLP was that it can't be mounted on a wall, size(depth) and having the required maintenence every two years or so. but with the advent of the LED's i can't find a downside to them other than size. i honestly don't have the room for one. but if i did, then by all means i'd have a 1080p 60" LED Samsung DLP.

22. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I think Mitsubishi is going to come out with an even lighter and thinner laser based DLP set soon which might be light and thin enough to be shelf mountable.