Ticket question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dontcallitarex, Oct 3, 2007.

1. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I got a rather bad speeding ticket like the 3rd day I had my 08 WRX. I was on 85 inside the perimeter and I was pulled over by a GSP officer who wrote me a ticket for 90 in a 55mph zone. He said he didn't actually clock me with anything electronic, and that he simply "matched speed with me" from 3 lanes over. In all honesty, I hadn't seen over 80 on my speedometer the entire day...and while that's still speeding, 80 is far less horrendous, and I didn't even know I was going that fast....my forester didn't ride nearly as well at 80.

However, regardless of whether or not he's right, I need to appear in court on Oct 30. I'm over 21, so I'm probably not going to lose my license according to the clerk I spoke to and the officer himself. I believe your record is wiped clean when you turn 21....but even if it isn't my record is pretty spotless. I have one for 15 (on Cobb pkwy) over from when I was 19 in a different county. It was like a point or two.

However this going to be expensive. Has anyone ever been in this situation? How can I deal with court? How can I get it reduced or thrown out? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I got hit with a 85 in 55 going 85N last year. Ticket was about $360. I had a court date as well, and went, but when I got to the court (10:30 AM) there were a couple cops outside directing people. They told me to get in line, no cell phone, weapons, or cameras, and to be prepared to wait around till at least 3 PM. I said screw that, called the number on the ticket and paid over the phone while standing in line, then left. You shouldn't have to go to court, but they don't tell you when they give you your ticket that you can pay by phone.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I read somewhere about a 'super speeder' ticket that applies to anyone going over 85 anywhere in GA. If this is still in effect, they have some pretty harsh consequences, like doubled fines, etc. I would strongly recommend you talk with a lawyer and discuss your options.

When I had a ticket, I hired a real good lawyer and he took care of everything. All I had to do was show up at court. Since then, he has represented plenty of WRXatlanta members and not one has been dissatisfied. If you want his contact info, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Milo's friend got my brother in law out of two tickets that he got in the same week. It was way cheaper then the cost of the tickets even with out factoring in the savings on insurance.

5. dontcallitarex

That'd be great milo, thanks a lot man. This guy sounds good.

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Definitely don't just take it in......

He messed up by not clocking you. Fight it with a lawyer and you'll definitely win.

7. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Most of cop cars have dash cam with calibrated speedometer. That's how I received my last ticket as well. Paced by unmarked car at night. I should've hired lawyer, but I just paid the ticket and took defensive driving class. My point went to 0, and insurance is still the same (even though they know that I received the ticket).

8. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

Ditto that, you'll never win a fight with a pacing ticket because it's always your word against his. I suggest showing up at your plea bargain date and asking for the defensive driving course for a ticket reduction instead of opting for a trial. If that super speeder law applies now though, watch out.

9. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Yeah definitely go to to your court date. I got one ticket reduced in NC and one in Doraville reduced by just showing up to the court date. Bring your check book and some lube, cuz they are going to ream you regardless. And it will take forever, so bring something to read...

Isn't there a no-contest law here in GA he might could use?

10. dontcallitarex

I could technically plead nolo, but that probably won't do me much good. I'm looking into this lawyer milo referred me too, and we'll see how that goes.

And yeah, I went to court like 2 years ago in Kennesaw, I was there 3 hours and ended up just paying. it was terrible. I hate the government. But then again I shouldn't speed.

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yes, the superspeeder laws increase fines and points. Your going to have a hard time fighting it for that reason, and the fact that it was GSP isn't going to help you. GSP has a lot more control and authority than your city or county police.

12. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

Go to the ALFA defensive driving course in the same complex as the Roswell road dmv. When I went and spoke to the person his words to me were always go and take the defensive driving course before you go to court. It sometimes gets tickets thrown out or massively reduced.

Make sure to go on a Sunday as well, it's not 6 hours long... lets put it that way. The test is piss easy, and the videos are hilarious.

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

I agree, I did not get a lawyer and fought it ALL day. If they did not clock you they have no proof, period. did you know that @ something like 70 mph you are traveling at 90ft per second or something like that. It is impossible for them to be acurate with pacing. Go in knowing that they want their money only and do not care about the points system it is a different area of the gov't. That should be your main interest protecting your record as the ins co will get you for years to come.

Also you can attend a driver improvement class sometime between the ticket and court and they must reduce the fine by 20% and assess no points. Only can do this once every 5 years like a no lo. If interested pm me and I will give you the exact quote and the associated #'s like 86-blah-blah blah

Speaking of that you may can use your no lo as well.

14. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I thought the drivers course was a 2 year thing?

15. Don't take offense to this, but maybe check your facts before you start throwing out advice..... none of this is accurate.

Defensive driving classes work well for reducing your fine and/or points, but there is no set percentage and it's entirely up to the judge in any case..... the judge can disallow a nolo plea just like he/she can say "Who cares?" to your driving classes..... rarely turns out that way, but just understand that the judge makes the final decision. You were correct about the nolo plea, it can only be used once in five years for a specific offense.....

And how is it that there is no proof if the officer paces a vehicle? Other departments may do things differently, but my speedometer is laser calibrated twice a year, at two different speeds..... is pacing as accurate as Lidar? Most likely not, there are many more variables to consider..... but to say that it's "impossible" is kind of an ill-informed statement..... of all the speeding tickets I've written by pacing someone, I've yet to come across a case that's been thrown out at all, let alone for inaccuracy.....

And 70mph actually calculates to about 102.67ft/s, not that that has any effect on my ability to match another vehicle's speed..... :D

16. Greg

Greg Active Member

^ I was hoping that you would chime in :D

17. Lol, I try not to but sometimes I can't help it..... ;)

18. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

it's all good man, i'm sure there are plenty of us that would like you to chime in more on things like this.

19. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i assume you could get a pacing ticket thrown out if the officer wasn't actually following you, like...5 lanes over in rush hour traffic. Might be going 55mph and see someone going faster, but how much? If you can pin down someones relative speed to within +/-3mph from 100 ft away, that's incredible. But if the officer is following you're pretty much boned.

20. ^^^ Actually it's not as difficult as you might think..... as long as you're traveling parallel to the vehicle you're pacing (even on, say, an access road or collector/distributor on the interstate), it's a simple matter of adjusting your speed until you're no longer moving closer..... I sometimes wait until I'm falling behind a bit, just to err on the side of caution and be 100% sure.....

Yeah, I just don't want you folks to get the impression that my only contribution to this site is to yell at people when they bash cops or give questionable advice..... I'm really a pretty tolerable person in real life.... :D

21. 4sevens

4sevens Member

PM me. I have a traffic lawyer here in atlanta who has decades of traffic court experience.
    He's semi-retired and only takes referrals. I'd have chat with you before I send you his way.

ALWAYS get representation, never plead guilty because it will affect future cases.
    This guy knows all the traffic judges by name as well as their solicitors. Many times
    he can get it settled out of court and you never have to show up.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Tolerable... Unless you want a Liter of cola! :rofl:

"What is Liter Cola???".... "Its French, for give me a fucking cola!!!!" :eek:hnoes: