Hurry I need help asap! Lease or buy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RoMe, Oct 6, 2007.

?

What the crap shout I do?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2007.
  1. Lease an 07 STI

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Buy and 08 WRX with the same payments

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I just got approved for a 2007 STI but the lease is better for us payment wise or get a 08 WRX financed at around the same payment. To finance the STI was a lil to much payment for my liking.

2. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

We kinda need it soon the 93 Cavi can only go so much longer

3. Demo24

Demo24 Member

why not just save some more to be able to afford the sti?

course if your needing the car right now, I would buy over lease. And I would buy a used sti over a wrx anyday.

4. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I wouldnt go the lease route... definitely Buy.

5. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

You never lease unless you want a new car every 3 years or so. Also you need to look at the mileage allowed for the lease as well. It's normally not that much. So my vote is just buy. But it has to be WRB.:rofl:

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

I vote to buy a used 06' sti.... :) White of course

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

+1 buy, dont lease

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm leasing my STI, it was the only way I could get the payment low enough to afford it. I get 12k miles a year and I barely hit 10 in the first year so that wasn't an issue. Seeing as how I won't be buying a 08-09 STI, I will probably buy the car after the lease is up. I know I'll be paying more in the end but hey... I got the car I wanted with the payments I wanted... I think I did ok... And if I end up doing a little bit better salary wise when my lease is up, maybe I'll turn in the STI and buy the Corvette I've wanted since I was 5...

9. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Thats exactly what Im thinking of leasing then buying after my lease is up. Im trying to force myself to like the 08's but if I can get an New 07 right now for the payments I can afford plus that 93 Cavi is not going to last for ever with no airbags no ac and power steering possible going out the door why not (plus tha added bonus of not hearing about it every day). And looking at the prices of used STI's at the end of my lease if I don't go to much over in mileage I have a fairly decently priced STI

10. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Not to mention I own one of my dream cars and... having one of the sickest garages around with the Saabaru!

11. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

There is nothing wrong with leasing a car. The only problem is mileage if you plan on turning the car in at the end. I guess the other is if you do not plan on keeping the car, modding then having to return to stock when you turn the car in. At least you will know the condition of the STI at the end of the lease if you decide to purchase. It will be the best used car you could ever get. Plus the resale on STI's seems to stay pretty high. Good luck on the decision. As for me, I'm holding out for the 08 STI.

12. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Oh, and for solid car buying advise go to autoscoop.com or listen to 103.3 on Saturday morning from 8-10am. I think on the website there are old shows you can listen to.

13. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I would buy a used 06 Sti from a dealership with financing.

14. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

:werd:

15. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Im so tempted I cant stop think about it

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I think you'd be disappointed with an 08 wrx.. not cuz its an 08 but because you'll want more power pretty quick. I'd see what kinda deal you can get on a used STI or an 07' leased... get the right car the first time. Nothing against the wrx, its a great car... Its just, if you can swing the payments, get the STI..

17. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I'd say buy used before leasing, unless like previously said..you plan on getting a new car every 3 years. obviously either way you never come out in the auto world. also having mileage restrictions is something I couldn't have when paying for a car! of course I drive about 3k a month so that's my .02.. keep us updated!

18. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Your talking about maybe another 70ish hp in the STI yet u will be some what limited with mileage due to the lease. I would rather own the vehicle and modify with out having to worry. Specially since the WRX's are running the 2.5 engine I dont think you could wrong. Only thing is with the 08WRX you may have to wait some time for some aftermarket parts and not sure what you could use from existing STI's.

19. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

only lease a car if you're comfortable with the idea that its not your property in the least and that you're being provided a car as a service, not as a tangible good.

imo.

me, I can't understand looking at a car as anything but personal property.

20. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Yep a lease is just a long term rental.

21. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

A lease is a like a long term rental but with a car like an STI its worth it because I will but it at some point. I can still mod the car because Im gonna buy it at some point so I dont have to worry about turning it back to stock ever. Also I can have it now at a payment price that I can afford right now and hopefully in 3 years I will be able to afford it no problem with job promotions and such. I think Im gonna do it!

22. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

If it was me I'd look for a nice slightly used 04-06 STi, and then mod.

Wouldn't the overall cash outlay be much more to lease and then buy the same car?

<guessing> To lease and then buy a car at lease end would it take 7 or 8 years of total payments?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  23. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

It will probably be about 6 years total after lease + financing

24. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Check out your local credit unions for better financing options. I am in the process of refinancing now. Also remember with a lease your milealge will be restricted. Do you have another car to drive?

25. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

as someone who owns an 07sti let me make you aware of a few things... which you should know if you did some research, but i will condense it here for you:

the 07sti is the first year (and subaru's first attempt) at making a high-performance car LEV2 emissions compliant. in doing so, they have complicated the ECU by a factor of 2 (keep in mind that only about 50% of the 04-06 ECU is actually "known")

what this means is that even when pro-tuned, the 07 ECU still wants to add timing which puts you closer to the DET threshold. the car WILL NEED tuning right off the lot, or it will break itself if you drive it hard with any frequency. no i'm not kidding and i'm not exaggerating. there is a reason that there is no 07 EVO, because Mitsu could not release a properly tuned ECU for a HP car. Subaru didn't seem to think it was all that important. let me restate that: Mitsubishi chose to go a year without new evo sales in order to put out a properly set up ECU (and i'm sure there were other small factors). this are at least my, and others' suspicions

here are some points to keep in mind

• if you plan on going beyond stage 02, (adding a bigger turbo for more boost) you will get into problems due to the above.
    • no, you can't put in an 06ECU (although slowwrx is seeing if he can hack this-but again, no promises)
    • no, you can't put in a standalone (hydra, motect, etc) and still be emissions legal (i.e. it's impossible to pass OBDII scan)
    • yes, the 08 may be a "fixed" version of the 07 ECU, and will most likely have the same pin configuration, but there are no promises on the table.
    • yes, somebody like COBB may find an ultimate fix for the 07 but it would require a ridiculous amount of R&D into the 07ECU-which may in fact happen if the 08 is not fixed and they plan on supporting STi in the future. all vehicles from 07-on will need to be LEV2 compliant.
    • the 07 seems to be very sensitive (maybe due to it's timing algorithm) to fuel quality.
    • the 07 does seem to have the capacity to make more power than previous years and has far better gearing and an improved rear diff and turbo - which cannot be fully realized using the stock ECU
    • the control arm on the 07 is the same as 06wrx - not enough castor to have serious fun on the track (read up on suspension dynamics to understand) this is fixable for about 300$

hope this helps... it is a good car, it's just a little messed up in the head ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  26. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

You should also seriously look at your insurance rates on the 2 cars. I bet when you add in the insurance, the STI gets really expensive, really quick compared to a WRX.

27. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Thanks guys!

Monk that was great info! Since I have I only have experince with NA cars!

So the GF and I are going to take along hard look at all the positives and negatives and make our decision tonight. Ill keep you guys posted!

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

You should really consider milage costs and maybe try to find a used one...

Best of luck guys!

My vote: Find a used Subaru and drive the cavy untill it dies!!!
    ...or find a use Saabaru...

29. FACE

FACE Active Member

:rofl:

30. FACE

FACE Active Member

this a good idea as well...Delta community credit union is really hooking me up to better my fin.s you should check them out! www.deltacommunitycu.com

31. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

So its official we decided not to get the STI not due to the leasing issue but it was just to much payment and insurance especially considering we were going from a car that had no payment. Of course in true dealership fashion the tried to get me in to an 08 WRX but I don't want no stinking 08 Toyota WRX! The hunt continues...

32. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

'05 STi!!!!! It's the best bang for your buck, and the best car it seems Subaru is ever going to make. I think there's one around here for $24K??? Good deal.

33. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

So the dealership called tonight with a "last minute deal" on a 08 I'm gonna test drive it tomm morning Ill see what happens I may have to eat my earlier statement

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  34. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Just go back and edit it :fawk:

35. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

buy you an ebo~

28k for a new RS. hehe

36. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

make that 27k.

37. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

save up and get an 08 STi when they come out!

38. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I agree.

39. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Ok here it is let me know what you think

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

do not want...

wait for the 08 sti

41. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

the 08 pulls really nice, the interior styling would take some getting use to, the seats are really nice and there is alot of space in there! the trunk is huge! and I think that I can hide out in the hood scoop!

42. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Whatcha gonna do???

43. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Final decision!! Were gonna wait!

44. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

GOOD DECISION MAN.

45. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Probably best, my only thing is who know how much longer you can get an 07' STI.. Pretty soon you'll have to go used or by a Mazda 3 copy...

46. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

SOG stocked the living SHIT out of their lot with 07's in hopes that no one would like the 08 sti style. which goes to show you the complete lack of concern or understanding (or both) of the 07 ECU issue.

47. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Went to Troncalli today and saw the new 08's... Not as bad in person, still wouldn't buy one though.. I asked the salesperson if they were selling, he said no, nobody's liking the new style... I think it might have something to do with the 29K sticker price I saw... fully loaded but still...