Wow. Its really getting serious...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kokopelli, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

2. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

they havent called out the national guard yet so its still ok

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

looks more likey that we will see this...

[​IMG]

before we see this...

[​IMG]

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

we need more rain, i haven't wash the car in ages...

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Awesome.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

the media is actually blowing this up to be more serious than it is, just take that into consideration. i am a journalist myself.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

First, I hate the off the shelf worldpress template.

Second, who the hell puts google ads on an emergency info page?

8. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

AMEN!

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

10. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

*facedesks* its really not that serious people

11. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

are we still sending water to save the mussels?

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

We're in Atlanta. Drink Coke. It's the law.

13. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

wait i have a solution!

STOP moving to atlanta! or we could round up all the illegal immigrant and throw them out since its the raise in population thats causing this problem anyways. thats just my solution

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

As a boat owner I understand the real implications of the current situation.

Places that we used to wake board and have done so for years are now the domain of 4 wheelers.

please stop drinking water so I can ride ;)

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

So you hate the template and don't like the ads. Does that realy change the reality?

I have been riding the lakes here for 20 years and this is the first time I have seen the lakes like they are now. The current situation coupled with the currrent growth in the Atlanta area is not an ideal situation.

Even if you don't think there is a problem now you have to admit if things don't change there wil be a problem.

Whether that change is more rain or conservation there will be a problem. And since we are not God the only thing we have control of is conservation.

pee twice flush once FTW

16. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down!

17. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

What the crap DON'T you own?!?! :squint:

18. Greg

Greg Active Member

Its not a hard concept.... They're letting out 2 billion gallons of water a day from Lanier, only 1 billion gallons comes in a day...... Lets think here.

If we let out the exact same amount of water that comes into the lake, it stays level instead of constantly going down. But when it rains, we gain. Alabama would have no room to bitch, because we aren't hoarding the water, they're still getting the downflow that they would naturally get if the lake wasn't damed up.
    I live on lanier, and there are boats and docks all over the place just sitting on dry ground. Since its a man made lake, there was a town that was flooded in order to make it, and there are now chimneys, fences, and roads showing from the old towns...

19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

lol heard about that on the 99x morning show, they had a phone call from a guy in florida about it but i think it was fake
    but yeah i didnt know it was THIS serious

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

I did see lake Allatoona a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty scary. However, while the situation isn't good, I agree with Amanda that it's getting blown out of proportion by the media.

Lesson to be taken from this: Never plan a major city without a good sized river nearby.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  21. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

The issues aren't as black and white as they may seem. There is the potential for this to get really ugly (people being fined for using more than a certain amount of water a day, etc.). Right now, its not there. Right now, the reason we are behind on water is simple, rain. It hasn't, we are getting hosed. As for how to mitigate against drought in the future, its going to be a combination of all the things mentioned above rather than one simple fix. Better infrastructure to support the population, better waters resource management, more cooperation between the feds and the states, etc. If there was one solution, this would be far less a concern. While I agree the media is sensationalizing a bit, the need to get the message out to people that they need to stop wasting water, outweighs the need to make sure the media are 100% accurate on every story. This is much a public education issue as it is a logistical one...

Tell that to the people in Texas...

22. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

yes you are right but there have been several break throughs, they are building a new dam in cobb county i believe to provide another resivoir that the first phase will be complete next year if i read correctly i think it was in USA today, and the corps of engineer in Alabama FINALLY made a move to make people there cut back on water use, or atleast said that they could.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  23. mickey

mickey New Member

I'm from the water shortage blog and I've gotten a good bit of referral traffic from this thread (thanks), so I thought I'd chime in.

Me too. I had a nice water-themed one up there, but it was causing problems for people using IE6 (alpha transparent PNGs). That wouldn't have mattered too much, but the person at the Aquarium I was talking to was having problems, so I reverted back to the default theme. Between trying to keep up on posts in there and trying to have a life (work, kids, etc), the theme has been on the back burner. I updated the header last night so it's at least a little different.

This isn't a short-term "emergency info page". While I have no plan to try to get rich, I'm trying to at least cover my costs. I'm putting an hour or two a day into this (figure 40 hours a month), so I don't see it as a big problem. I've kept them to minimum and I'm not putting up any audio or animated ads or anything. Do you really think it's a big deal?

Technically yes, but they're getting kind of a bad rap.

I agree with others that it's being blown up by the media a bit, but it's a serious problem. There is a real chance (though fairly low) that Atlanta will run out. On the off chance that it happens, we're in BIG trouble.

I figure we have at least six months worth of water left, so we're bound to get some rain sometime before then, right?

24. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

sure if we have a real problem i would be coming to you guys live from sone where in north georgia where there would be riots for water.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I want to see pics of the old chimneys sticking out the lakes.

You guys need that tropical storm off of Florida to swing right on top of you guys!

26. WJM

WJM Banned

All we need to do is pollute more so the oceans will rise and we will not have a water problem ever again.

IBsaltwaterisnotthesameasfreshwater

27. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

lol. saltwater=\=fresh water

28. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

but i like living down here in savannah.....i don't want to move farther inland to escape the rising ocean

29. mickey

mickey New Member

Actually, I had been watching it in hopes that it might sit on us for a few days. It's not often that you hope to get hit by a tropical storm, but that's exactly what we were hoping for.

Sadly, no dice.

30. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

The other day I heard a report where the Army Corps of Engineers pointed out that there's really 6 months of marginal water under the three months of "conservation" water. Perdue was really bent out of shape. Suddenly, some engineers were trying to deprive him of political fodder.

Don't believe anything. It's all spin.

31. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Political Fodder for what? He's at his term limit. Not sure how a drought is spin, its not like Sonny made it not rain the last 12 months.

32. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

Politics is forever. Sonny's not quitting when he leave the Guv'ner's office.