Another ticket.. =(

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsvwrx, Nov 3, 2007.

1. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

clocked going 79 on 85.. =(

EVERYONE around me was going much faster.. god dang it!

so thats 24 over.. should i use my no lo.. im 20.. but the court date is AFTER my 21st bday.. what should i do?

2. WJM

WJM Banned

lawyer.

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

for 24 over?

4. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

is this your first ticket? if not, whats your record like? if its your first time more than likely you should be able to get the speed lowered so you dont get it suspended. taking a defensive driving course would help too. usually if u agree for an increased fine on a lower speed and maybe community service they may cut you a break, unless your record shows u as a repeating offender.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!

I had a ticket like that and the city I was in wanted over 600 for it! I said fuck that noise, hired a lawyer, and ended up paying 100. I'd rather give a good lawyer more money than ANY city for that. AND, I got no points b/c of it...

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would save my nolo for like a dui....at 20yrs old though I don't think you can plead nolo untill 21...good luck man!

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

il be 21 by the time that the court date is.. (the court date is dec 13 and my bday is the 1st..)

the cop said i dont have to go to court.. honestly .. i dont think i was even going over 70.. i think he might have gotten the speeding lady behind me and thought it was me..

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

What the hell is nolo?

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

yeah my last speeding ticket was a few years ago.. 47 in a 35.

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

and btw, i dont drink anymore.. so dui is out of the question..

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

No Lo is where you get no points but still pay a fine and I think Ins. can still see the offence

12. FACE

FACE Active Member

Or If you get a Super Speeder ticket...

13. FACE

FACE Active Member

I just thought to that when I went to court (not having too) the solicitor was nice enough to drop it 4mph which brought it down to next level of citation. I got 2 points instead of 3 and saved $35 on the fine.

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

im not sur what im going to do... how much on avg are lawyer fees

15. techlord

techlord Active Member

No lo Contenderie is useable once in five years and typically is used for a wreck or high point violation. What you got is 3pts IIRC prolly 4 which is the same as running a stop sign I call it BAD so if you have never used it USE IT for this. You could also state GA law 40-5-57 "If a driver attends a driver improvement course after the issuance of the citation but before they make a court appearance , the court SHALL reduce the fine by 20 perent and the licensing agence SHALL assess no points against the violator. This procedure is allowed only once in 5 years"

Now for this to work you cannot go in being timid, I am 37 and DEMAND my rights and they did not want to allow me to use it so I dealt directly with the judge who of course knows the law.

You being young and all may not get the respect you deserve but never the less it is the law.

FYI the reason lawyers are so good is they spend all their time figuring out the holes and exploit it. You can always go in and try then give up and say F it and plead NOT GUILTY and they will re-schedule then you can get a lawyer at that time.

REMEMBER they want your money and do not care about the points, BTW my record is clean with 6 tickets last year.

16. WJM

WJM Banned

Meaning, GET A LAWYER.

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

going to call milos friend tomorrow.. hmm il be 21 by the time the court date comes, is it from the time i get the ticket or when the court date is

18. WJM

WJM Banned

probably at the time you get the ticket.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

goddamnit..

20. WJM

WJM Banned

yeah. moral of the story...dont get pulled over.

21. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Man I'd save the nolo plea for something much more serious if you can help it, but in Georgia the nolo plea no longer gets you out of a dui.

Covers teen info for traffic court but this nolo dui rule sounds like it's for everyone.

http://www.fayettecountyga.gov/courts/solicitor/teendriv_solicitor.htm

" Nolo Contendere Plea will be treated as a conviction for any DUI.
    Previously, some DUI violators could save their driver’s license by pleading Nolo Contendere (no contest). Now Nolo Contendere pleas are considered as convictions for all DUI arrests."

22. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I plead nolo on a super speeder ticket recently. The fine was ridiculous but I avoided points.

Then again I'm over 21.

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i mean, in my case being 20, and turning 21 in less than 27 days could i do the same thing? and NOT get my license getting suspended? i mean if your under 21 for 24 over or more u can get your license suspended.. so would they consider my age at the time of the office, or the time of the court date. The court date is WAY after i turn 21

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Special suspension provisions for drivers under 21 years of age.
    The driver's license of any person under twenty-one (21) years of age shall be suspended if he or she is convicted of any of the following:

* hit and run,
    * aggressive driving,
    * racing,
    * D.U.I.
    * using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude a peace officer,
    * reckless driving,
    * underage purchasing or knowingly possessing any alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle,
    * misrepresenting his age in any manner whatever for the purpose of obtaining any alcoholic beverage,
    * misrepresenting his identity or using any false identification for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining any alcoholic beverage, or
    * any offense for which four or more points are assessable under O.C.G.A. § 40-5- 57 (e.g. passing of a school bus, improper passing, or speeding in excess of the speed limit by 24 m.p.h. or more).

im not convicted UNTIL i go to court right?? so does that mean these wont apply for me?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  25. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

That would make sense. I really would at least call a lawyer and ask them, because they generally know these things, though you may not need one for the actual court date.

26. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

convicted

In law, a conviction is the verdict that results when a court of law finds a defendant guilty of a crime.

-Wiki

regardless im going to call milo's lawyer tomorrow and find out .. prob going to hire him regardless..

27. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

The speed limit system needs reworking desperately in this country. When getting pulled over for going the flow of traffic can leave you facing with a suspension it's entirely fucked up. Your best bet is Defensive Driving + lawyer. That should get it dropped down to at least the category below. Maybe the cop fucked up somewhere on the ticket, the lawyer should be able to find something.

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

"The presumption of innocence is why you get to go to court and plead guilty or innocent to the charge, and why you aren't already convicted. "

that sounds good. at least il be 21 if i DO get convicted.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  29. Greg

Greg Active Member

Which county....? Please say Dekalb.

30. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

it was dekalb? is that good?

31. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok, in DeKalb county they have what is called a Teen Intervention Program. It is for anyone who gets a ticket and is under the age of 21. What it does is, you go to court on your court date, and before the Judge enters, they will call all offenders under that age of 21 to come foreward. You will stand in line and sign a registration form for the class. You will then return to your seat and wait for the Judge to call your name, when he does, go before him and present the registration form. He will then direct you on what to do. You will have to go somewhere that sells money orders, and then go to the East DeKalb campus and register. (I think its like $50-60).
    They'll give you a date to come there. You'll show up on that date, and be in school for about 6 hours covering everything from, speeding to DUI to drug use to gangs... It covers everything, not just traffic offenses. You will change classes when the bell rings just like high school.
    Once you complete this class, they will send your certificate to the courthouse, and your ticket will be completely dropped. It won't even be reported to your insurance company.

This is all assuming that you haven't completed the program before.

32. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I haven't, but il be 21 BEFORE my court date...

33. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

well, regardless im hiring Tory ( milos lawyer) .. i dont want to take any chances

34. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah, talk to Troy, tell him your situation, and mention the program to him. He can check on it and give you more details.
    It shouldn't matter if you'll be 21 or not, the offense happened when you were under 21.