Making a RHD EK9 street legal in GA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TougeTuned, Nov 6, 2007.

1. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

ok i have one heck on a question for you folks...

We just got a 1997 Ek9 (Type R) for a track instruction car. It will be on its way to us from Michigan shortly. Currently has a valid Michigan title and was plated and street legal there. I guess what i am asking is.

1) i'm putting the stock exhaust on in case they butt probe her. How easily will i be able to get emissions done on this car and im not even sure if it will pass stock.

2.) Again im from Michigan so basically anything barely road worthy can get a plate. what possible problems could arise from it being a jdm car? I know not many people are fans of hondas so please behave. :wavey:

This car being street legal isnt needed. but i would prefer it so i can take it to car shows. throw school vinyl on the side. rolling advertising if you will.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If you register it in a county that doesn't have emissions it won't be a problem. A friend of mine also had a civic type R. It was a very fun car to drive, I never got him to let me track it but it should be a lot of fun.

matt

3. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

it will not pass emissions at all in GA counties that require emissions

OBD2 cars must pass a SCAN. JDM OBD2 ere cars have no on board port for scanning since Japan doesnt have emissions.

only thing you can do is register in a non emissions county or put EG vin and title on the car

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I know in USDM integras the last year of OBDI was 1995. Is your car an OBDII? If it is, there is no butt sniffer, there is just a OBDII code scanner. I don't know if GA's scanners can recognize JDM ECU outputs (I doubt it... GTScoob just put at JDM Ver7 engine in his car and had trouble with emissions.) But if you aren't throwing codes and there are no USDM/JDM communication issues you should be good to go. I have a USDM ECU for a B18c1 ECU and a B16 ECU laying around somewhere if you want to try to put it in and limp over to get emissions. Other option is getting the car registered in one of the many counties not in the Metro Atlanta area, which are the only counties in GA that require emissions...

Good luck!

5. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

Thanks for the prompt response. i guess i get to find a loophole and go from there >.> I have driven this car before (was donated by a friend) so i know what they are capable of. Honda would be slighty more respected had we gotten the ek9 and the real ITR over here (i dont think we go a ITR anyways.. someone correct me if im wrong..)

6. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

difference in GTSCOOBs case is that his CAR was a USDM car with the On Board electronics already, he just needed to pass with an AMERICAN ECU.

The JDM "CARS" have no OBD.

If your car is USDM you can put a JDM engine in the car as long as you have a USDM ECU that will accept a scan.

In this case he has a JDM CAR and a JDM ECU, simply putting a USDM ECU in will not fix the problem

7. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

ITRs came in the US. 1997,1998,2000,2001

-Love Mr. Honda VTECKIDD

8. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

see thats why i ask. But yeah i think this would be a good car for track use. and since its a honda i know if someone breaks something i "might" be able to find parts for it.

Sidenote: i have never really built a honda for racing so if anyone has any good tips for VAFC use and engine setup.. im listening :)

9. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

just call me, all i build is hondas. My name on every other board is VTECKIDD so that should explain some. :)

I still hold the NA Honda Record in GA, i made more that some STIs on motor :)

10. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Some of my Honduhs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

237whp bitches, 2.0L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you need parts or build advice just let me know, i dont mean to be arrogant, but im pretty much the authority on honda/acura stuff in Georgia. Im usually apart or almost any build that makes any decent amount of power in some way or another.

The CTR is cool, almost a perfect R/S ratio, check into the piston design and the stroke, same deck height as a 1.8L but they destroked it for more revs. IIRc it redlines at 9000 from the factory

11. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

as a member of the drift scene and drift411 i know your companies rep so you bet. we will probably come to you for stuff. and its a jdm car. only been in the states but maybe 5 years.

12. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

kick butt! thanks :) what was the best handling FF chassis?

13. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Handling wise its a toss up depending on what you want to do.

I always like the CRX because its so light, but the EG chassis seemed more stable and more solid.

The EKs are a little on the heavy side but they arent too bad. The integras were always a solid handling chassis because how long they are. The ITRs did very well and even today are one of the best "stock track" cars.

14. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

again thanks for the help, until now the cars i usually built for racing had a diamond star on it or was named after the first month on the Jewish calender >.>

15. WJM

WJM Banned

Dude, Mike...pffffffffft....seriously, you dont know what you're talking about. :p

I'd register it in a non-emissions county. Problem solved.

16. Trey

Trey Active Member

That car was titled in the US so transferring the title to GA will not be an issue. I had a 96 EK with an ITR swap and it had the JDM ECU. It won't scan as Mike said and all you have to do is put an USDM ECU in the car to pass emissions then when you get home, pop the JDM ECU back in.

It's not a big deal.

My old EK (sold her in 2002):

[​IMG]

More Pics...

17. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Yeah but the difference is that your car actually had a spot to plug into to scan the ecu.

since his car is JDM, they dont have the port at all so it doesnt matter what USDM ecu you put in it. The emissions center still cant hook up to it.

Now transferring the title is not hard, but you will be required to do emissions if you try an register in an EMISSIONS county. If you do it at a place without emissions, its easy because , well , they dont care.

I know ways around it, just PM me for more details i can get you a tag no problem

I just went through this with a buddy of mine who has a RHD JDM ITR :)

btw hello trey, i thought that was you but didnt know for sure.

Trey is the OG honda man ;)

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

Ahh good point Mike, didn't think about the port. :D

It's me, older and greyer. Welcome to the site! :wavey:

19. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I assume you're in the metro atlanta area, and if you are, walton county, which is about 40 mins east of midtown on hwy 78, doesn't require emissions testing. I'm from there, so I've been registered there since I've had a car. My dad a 1991 RGV 250 (Two-stroke GP Homologation motorcycle...coolest shit ever) registered there.....as a scooter.

Just to give you an idea of exactly how much they care.

20. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

Paulding county :sad: but the emissions place we went to outside of hiram stuck a wand in the exhaust of the SVX (93) and stuck something under the hood to read timing to find the cars emission levels @ 2500 rpm so if they treat it like its a older car??

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  21. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

what are the requirements to be registered in a particular county?

22. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

depends on the county. we have to have emissions here.

23. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Thats because the SVX is a 93 which means its OBD1.

OBD2 is 96+ cars and those are emissions passed by SCANNING THE ECU THROUGHT AN OBD2 PORT (which you dont have)

OBD1 is anything PRE 1996 and is done by SNIFFING the exhaust

24. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

25. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

LOL arent we all

26. Trey

Trey Active Member

27. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

damn was wishful thinking

28. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

its ok i PMed you, just call me tomorrow and ill walk you though it

29. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Knock on wood! Went by yesterday and they said that the ECU wasnt emissions ready since I hadnt driven the car long enough, hopefully tomorrow I can pass.