Windows Vista... Help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Recently loaded Vista Ultimate on my pc and well... I hate it... I haven't had much time to mess with it yet to get all my crap loaded back onto it but the few things I have tried to do were troublesome.
    1st) it seems really slow.. Just pulling up programs or changing properties takes time... I suppose my pc could have pending issues, but it shouldn't. Vista and a few burning programs are all that are on it so far. I intalled Nero 6 last night and found out its not compatable. Then I tried to grab a demo of Nero 8.1 and it stuck on me 3 times(tried from nero site, downloads.com and one more). Is there a substitute that works like nero? I really need my DVD shrink program to work and it seems like nero is all it will use...
    2nd) It asks you permission to do every damn thing... I guess its to protect idiots from themselves but jeebus! Is there any way to turn down the sensitivity to make that happen less? Are there service packs available that works out some of these bugs?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. WJM

WJM Banned

is you PC up to the task of handling Vista?

IIRC there is a 64bit and 32bit version. You'll need to have a full 64bit PC system in order to run Vista 64bit correctly...that and TONS of ram and lots of processing power.

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I believe so.. Its a dell purchased 3 years ago. 2.6 ghz processer, 80gb hardrive and 1gig RAM with a 160gb external hardrive attached...

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

cough....cough.... Ubuntu

My uncle loaded Vista on a machine similar to yours with 1 GB RAM.
    He had all sorts of problems with it locking up, overheating, etc....
    He added another 1gig of RAM and hasn't had a problem with it since.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i have 4 gigs of ram on my desktop, i really woulndt recc anything under 2 gigs for vista

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

there's a reason Dell reverts the machines they sent out with vista-back to xp, for free.

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I hope not... I think I might be maxed out at 1gig... Its pc2700, I don't think it'll fit 2 one gig stripes....

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Yeah, I think it is 2gig minimum but Mircrosoft recommends 4gig for optimum use.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just confirmed, I'm maxed out at 1 gig... Is there any solution or should I just put XP back on????

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

format and install a real operating system

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Dont use Vista, thats for sure.

12. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

ask yourself what benefit you're trying to gain by running vista. it will be a "good" OS, it just isn't there yet.

but technically, yeah, wipe the drive and reinstall xp

13. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

For you second issue all you have to do is turn off the UAC. Here are the steps.

Turn User Account Control on or off

User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

Click to open User Accounts.

Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Nicard.. tell me WHY Vista is so horrible? I worked on OS design a bit ... Its a great OS, fast, reliable and cool! IF you can meet the steep requirements.

Give me a few reasons other than the steep requirements that it sucks?

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

So.... basically you can fix the annoying messages but its not recommended?? Dell says my dimension 2400 is maxed at 1gig... why is this? Is the gig strip longer? Wider? My theory is if its pc2700 at 333mhz, why can't it work? Maybe there was no gig stripe available when that pc came out so they just said 1 gig? Wishfull thinking?

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

17. CHEMSOLDIER27

CHEMSOLDIER27 Member

Its ok to turn it off. I run Vista Ultimate at work since it came out it was the first thing I turned off. Its just Microsoft scarring you into not turning off there sh!t.

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It looks nice, however, I think thats really the only gain to be had from it.

I'd say go back to Windows 2000 :)

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok... according to this website(conflicting Dell..) it states I can fit 2 one gig stripes in there. Will this be enough to run Vista Ultimate fairly well? It runs ok with 1gig, chugs a little but ok.. Just trying to decide if it would be worth it to upgrade to 2gig and run Vista or just put XP back on. The way I figure it, its the next operating system whether we like it or not. Unless it sucks so bad they skip it like Millenium I can either go back to XP and be obsolete and slow in a year or 2 or keep up with the Joneses but upgrading memory and running Vista now... again... HELP!

20. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Open it and look is the only way to know for sure what it will take. YOu could have 2 512mb in there now which means you would have to buy 2 1g to get it there.

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I put the two 512mb stripes in there, so I would need 2 one gig stripes... my question is are they the same size? would it fit? The crucial website says I'll be good to go, while the specs for the dell dimension 2400 says 1 gig max...

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

# Maximum Memory: 2048MB
    # USB Support: 2.x Compliant
    # Standard Memory: 128, 256, or 512MB removable
    # Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Yeah, it should be just fine

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

that's fine, but as of right now it is still a huge steaming pile of shit.

the thing that really pisses me off is the whole DX10 fiasco

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Once again Nicad, whats your reasoning?

i can say all day and all night that i can drive better than someone else.. but until i prove my point its not worth much

26. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok guys... I'm about to head to Frys to look at upgrading memory to 2 gig... If I'm just gonna throw XP back on its not necessary at the moment... So, worth it to keep Vista and upgrade to 2gig or go back to XP... quick, quick.... I get off work in 20 minutes!

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

get vista. I LOVE IT

28. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I hate vista! I've been useing it since the betas years ago and I only found it cool then. Every time I load up Vista on something I tell myself "this time I will tough it out" nearly every time I get so damn frustrated with the pos that I put xp back on or if I am really pissed off Linux.

I have Vista on my laptop (cause it came with it) and it's about to drive me crazy. Just doing simple things are now no longer simple. Yesterday it took me over 2 hours to get it to share files with another comp cleanly. In the process I got a Vista network bug which thought my network connections were "server execution failed" which doesn't actually disable the device (although vista thinks it is) so you can still use the net, but anything in vista dealing with 'network' something or other slows down to a crawl. Only way to fix it is a cmd hack.

All these little bugs with it that add up over time.

I also honestly can't see any reason to get Vista over xp. There is nothing appealing about it cause it brings nothing new. For the most part its XP v2.0, it looks nicer, has some pretty backgrounds, and they made it more annoying for those trying to change some settings more than the wallpaper.

There are 2 things I do like about vista: a)the install is nicer and easier b)the incorporated driver support is nice to have

29. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

running xp here on my brand new machine with modified vista themes :)

30. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Went to Frys to get their opinion... 3 Fry's geeks said put XP back on. Even upgrading 2 two gig's ram will not make Vista ultimate run fast on my 3 year old pc. Especially since the only thing I do on the pc is surf and burn music/movies... 1 geek says he liked Vista but still recommended XP for me. Then he was berated by his co-workers and a passer buy for actually liking Vista......... So, back to XP for me, thanks for everyones input........

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

seriously.. if your computer can support vista.. . install it! i am a software dev for a living.. and imho its much faster than XP for alot of the stuff even i do.. then again.. my work computer CAME with 4 gigs of ram and a quad core..

32. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Ubuntu FTW....that is all I have to say....

Mark

33. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Don't ever listen to those guys. You may as well go to McDonalds and ask the cashier for their opinion. I have been mislead too many times from those idiots. I have learned that you need to do your research before you go there. Better yet, do your research then buy from www.Newegg.com or www.Tigerdirect.com and save yourself money too.

After doing a lot of research, I have decided to stay with XP. There are too many potential incompatibilities with games, software and driver problems. I use my PC for gaming 90% of the time. Most of these issues will hopefully be addressed with a service pack for Vista soon. Now Vista is a great operating system. But it is not really that much better than XP as far as speed and stability. Plus it is a very demanding OS. You really need to have a rig capable of running it.