troubleshooting alex's netwrk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrCoffeeATL, Nov 12, 2007.

1. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

go team!

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Nice illustrations

4. WJM

WJM Banned

Looks similar to snowman art.

5. Alex

This is, in effect, what we were trying to accomplish last night:

If there is already a pre-existing DHCP server on the network, do the following:
    Take one of the workstations, disconnect it from the network and plug it directly into the Router. Make sure the Router is turned on and there is a link light corresponding with that machine.
    On a single LAN port router, hook your computer into the LAN port with a straight-through cable and set the Router's toggle switch to 'X'.
    On a multiport router, plug the workstation into any port except the Uplink or WAN port.
    Reboot the computer. Check the IP address and make sure it is within the router segment of 192.168.1.x.
    Then access the Router's web based utility at http://192.168.1.1.
    You will be prompted for a User Name and Password. By default there is no User Name and the Password is admin.
    This will bring up the Setup page.
    Click on the DHCP tab. This will bring up the DHCP section.
    In the “DHCP Server” area, click on the Disable option and click on Apply.
    Click on the Setup tab.
    Change the LAN IP Address on the router to be on the same Subnet (AKA “IP Scheme”) as the rest of your network, but be careful that and make sure it is a unique IP Address, outside of your DHCP Servers IP Scope. If your network has a different subnet mask, it must be class C,(if it’s not the router will not work) and adjust the routers LAN Subnet Mask to match your networks.
    Click Apply
    Restart your computer.
    After you’ve completed these steps, you’ll have to configure your DHCP server to give out a default gateway, which corresponds with the routers LAN IP Address.
    Once you have completed these steps your DHCP Server should work with the router.

6. damn... I thought you only knew how to work excel spreadsheets hahaha

7. Alex

I thought you only knew how to sell exhausts :eek3:

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Thats easy.

9. Alex

the setup actually isnt "easy" at all. for whatever reason I am taking the most difficult route possible to achieve this goal

10. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I'm trying to figure what you are trying to do. turn the router into a basic switch?

11. Alex

In one sense, yes. But the other goal is to allow the desktop to share its wireless connection via the ethernet nic to the switch to the xbox. I made progress on it last night, but the issue I am having right now is that only one can be active at once (wireless or ethernet). If I am say, ftping into the xbox, I will lose my wireless connectivity and vice versa. Also, when the wireless connection goes idle the router does what it is supposed to now and picks up an IP underneath the gateway of the comcast router (192.168.0.1). Both connections are manually configured with a static IP on the desktop, as automated was just mucking stuff up.

12. Demo24

Demo24 Member

ah. You tried 'bridging connections'? I've only got a basic understanding of it, but it might work.

I do know that its kind of possible to load balance nics, but I believe its only for server...and kind of iffy

13. Alex

I dont think bridging the two connections is the answer, even if you force compatibility of the wireless.

In case you dont know what I meant, open up a command prompt (assuming you have a network bridge) and type "netsh bridge show a" this will display the network adapters that are currently enabled underneath your bridge. It will also tell whether or not either is being forced to play with the other one...if you'd like to enable that you simple type "net sh bridge set a [#ID of adatper] e

But if you do that, yes, the computer accepts the wireless as the primary IP. In doing so, you lose the IP to tie into the router if you want to administrate anything. What Ive done, in essence, is disable the dhcp on my ethernet nic and assign it a static ip underneath the router's gateway (eg 192.168.1.101). Ive done the same with the xbox, and now the two can ping each other no problem while I can stay on the internet.

The next step, I guess, is to work out internet connection sharing so that the xbox can get online underneath the 2ndary router.

The majority of network bridging examples I read about discuss something similar but the approach I am taking to this is so arbitrary and so unnecessary that no one really talks about it haha. The average person, I think, would just buy the wireless adapter for the xbox ;)

14. stop playing games and concentrate on making money... 'cuz if you had money, you could buy the wireless adapter no problem... haha

15. Alex

The funny part is I havent even played a game on the xbox in over a month. I just wanted to get the media center up and running ;)

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

wow.....that's a lot of acronyms and words....

:eek3: :rofl: :rofl:

17. Alex

Here's the new dashboard -- its a nice look & feel

[​IMG]

18. Demo24

Demo24 Member

:bigthumb: