Chan Gailey Fired

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Berzerklo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Woohoo!!

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Ive heard some interesting rumors about who could be the next tech coach.

Everyone from Jimbo Fischer (I dont believe this for one second), Terry Bowden (He does want to get back into coaching, could be a good pickup), the wide receivers coach for the Green Bay Packers has wanted the job since before Gailey was hired.

Should be interesting to see who you pick up.

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

5. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Jim Mora?

6. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

If only we could get

DA COACH!
    [​IMG]

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

:rofl:

8. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

He isn't even coaching the bowl game. Defensive Coordinator Jon Tenuta is going to be an interim coach and will be a candidate for the position. Navy coach Paul Johnson and Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher are the names people have thrown out so far...

9. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

is that why they just shot off fireworks?

10. Deke

Deke Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was wondering the same thing.

I had no idea about him not coaching the bowl game. Damn, that's some serious shit to fire someone before the final game of the season is even over. But hey, if Tenuta can coach offense anything like he can defense, I'm down :)

I just hope we get someone that doesn't have a vagina full of sand, or actually no vagina at all. Just a huge set of balls. Colbert for head coach!

11. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Most of the online writers make a good point that Gailey never technically had a losing season in 6 years. He always won at least 7 games, and he's always taken the Jackets to a bowl. The main reason they seem to have fired him (and this is bullshit), is that he never posted a victory against Georgia, and also that he wasn't "exciting" enough. Granted, his coaching style annoyed me as it was old fashioned, but how many coaches can claim that kind of consistency? Very few, honestly. I personally think they're being pretty harsh about it. I feel he's a good technical coach, even is he isn't Mark effing Richt, and I think to fire him in such a fashion is in poor taste.

I feel the fireworks, if they were for this reason, are in even more poor taste. The man gave 6 years of his life to this team, and I think he should be given a respectful, dignified exit. Sure, it was time for a change, but as if the public firing of him before the bowl that he took the team to wasn't enough. Come on douchebags.

12. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Tech defensive coordinator is the best thing that has happened to that team in a while. What was their defense ranked this year something crazy like 6th in the nation.

I have to agree with what was said above, firing him before he got to coach the bowl game he took the team to is just in bad taste.

14. wrxin8or

Actually, teams usually fire the coaches before the bowl games. I don't know if it actually has something to do with coaching the last game so close to the end of the year or just trying to get someone new in before the beginning of the year, but that is the norm.

15. schneid

schneid Member

they should probably just cancel the football program and focus more on UGA bashing. I read a copy of the spoof paper 'To Hell With Georgia" last weekend that a tech friend gave me. Funny that without Ga Tech nothing would change at UGA. But without UGA, what would the Tech nerds obsess about?!

16. slowwrx

I wonder if it has something to do with his pay structure, like maybe he gets a huge bonus if he coaches them at a bowl game.

17. slowwrx

Your check is in the mail Sir

18. wrxin8or

It does. Coaches usually get a pretty decent bonus for winning a bowl game. IIRC Clemson's coach (Tommy Bowden) gets either 25k or 50k for winning a bowl game, not to mention that he gets another 25k or 50k for winning 10 games (which is quite possible for him this year).

That could be the major reason behind Tech's decision.

19. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Focus more on UGA bashing? That is completely unnecessary. Its just so damn easy. You rednecks can't even spell dog! That newspaper is admittedly kinda dumb... but you give yourself way too much credit here. Not all that much would really change in that magical mythical world with no UGA. More time to play Halo 3 drunk by ourselves and procrastinate on our fluid mechanics homework... :wiggle:

20. slowwrx

Well that kinda summed it up didn't it.

21. Deke

Deke Active Member

I do have kind of mixed feelings about whether or not they were in the right to fire him. My friends and I always used to joke that if you want to route for a team that consistently pulls average, lackluster seasons, then Tech's for you. Sure it's consistent (I'm not positive, but I think we are currently in the longest streak of bowl appearances in the NCAA), but it doesn't get the program anywhere. It's not like we're getting to any BCS bowls. Tech needs to shake things up if we plan on our football program growing at all. We may take a hit in the next couple of years (hopefully not), but it will be better in the long run. And I hope for Chan's sake that he gets another job without too much trouble. I'm sure there are teams out there that would appreciate someone who coaches tighter than a nun's asshole.

Haha, I assure you they were not :)

I believe I addressed this in the UGA/GA thread. Once the current losing streak is snapped (which is guaranteed to happen sooner or later), and Tech starts posting up some W's in the game, UGA's hatred of Tech will return. And I do agree that the paper is pretty dumb, and that Tech's current hatred of UGA can be annoying at times, but if you really think us "nerds" obsess about it, you need to get off of your high horse.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  22. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I hope that Tech does get a better coach than Gailey. That would be a nice change...

Mark

23. schneid

schneid Member

ahh its all in good fun :) That paper was just pathetic though

24. slowwrx

Thats what college football is about, unbridled hatred for the other team. Thats what makes college football so much better than the pros. Everyone has their favorite team and thats the only team they like, they might cheer for another team but its only because it benefits their team... I love college football.

25. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

See this is why you don't let engineers write newspapers.
    ...Ever.

26. Deke

Deke Active Member

:rofl:

It's a decent read when it's not one of their "joke" issues :)

27. schneid

schneid Member

i will give them props for copying the look and format of the athens rag Flagpole to a T :p (in the joke issue)