Buying a new TV any suggetsion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Ive been reading and looking and well Im just not 100% sure what i want. I know it 50" or bigger and Im going to get a PS3 for its BR player so Im thinking the 1080 is a very important part. But when at the stores looking at each one the 720 and 1080 i noticed zero difference in them. which makes me ask the question is it worth the extra 500 to 1000$? So I figured i would ask here and see what everyone thinks.

2. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

check out cnet.com they usually have reviews and tips all day long about pretty much anything. I have a 52" samsung dlp 1080p love it! superbowl is supposed to be the best time of year to buy one...good luck and let us know what you go w/

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i can tell a small diff with my 360 b/w 720 and 1080.. im ho 1080 looks shits load better

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Check out AVSforum.com too. The nerds on there will give you more feedback than you can take. I have a vary hard time seeing any difference in 720 v. 1080 at anything resembling a normal viewing distance.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

get a 1080, otherwise you aren't using the full potential of your BluRay player. wouldn't recommend a plasma tho if you are a big gamer (burn in). so 40"-46" 1080p LCD Samsung, Sony. DLP's are great, just remember unless you spend the extra money for LCD technology you are gonna have a required 150-300 dollar maintenence every 2 or so years to change the bulb/s, otherwise its the biggest screen (and usually 1080p as well) for the least money.

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I just bought a Sony Bravia 46 inch 1080p LCD over the weekend and couldn't be happier. I haven't seen anything in 1080p or even 1080i yet. My Comcast Cable box is native to 720p so that is the best I have seen so far, but I think it looks absolutely amazing. I also don't have any HDMI cables yet, which I think is required to see anything in 1080p.

9. BelvnAWD

Check monoprice.com for great prices on HDMI cables, like $4....

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

not required. 1080p can be transmitted over component cables. but the only sources available for ANYTHING in 1080p right now are BluRay and HDDVD players.

11. BelvnAWD

Both of which can and may eventually block the signal from the source if its not connected via HDMI/DVI...

12. cannarella

cannarella Member

I am waiting on the Samsung HLT-5087S to come down in price. It is a 50" DLP that uses LEDs instead of a white light and color wheel. They have gotten pretty good reviews and no bulb to replace. I think anthing under $1500 will be a good price. I just wish I could get one by Christmas...

13. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

it should probably be able to show moving pictures, play sound and be able to double as a kitchen table for unexpected company.

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

honestly go for a 1080p DLP..
    best bang for the buck!

bt there are games that are 1080p on xbox and ps...

15. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

My parents just got the 55inch equivalent. It's truly breathtaking quality.

16. gte123v

gte123v Member

that's not true, everything but 1080p can be carried by the component cables. Maybe you are thinking of 1080i.

17. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

I have a Samsung 46in LCD 720P/1080i and im thrilled with it. It wasnt worth it to me to get the $2200 1080P version.

I have a PS3 and HDMI cables and the picture quality is AMAZING.

I dont the 1080P is justifiable because:
    Unless your ready to spend $30 a movie (BlueRay and HDDVD) its not worth it
    If you dont own a PS3 or a HDDVD Player it really doesnt matter
    Broadcasts are only shown at 720P MAX
    The national broadcasting standard in 2009 Feb will only be 420P anyway

IMO Its no worth the extra money, especially since this time next year 1080P will prob drop $500-600 per TV set

18. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

high-definition television (HDTV), which is usually used over DTV, uses one of two formats: 1280 × 720 pixels in progressive scan mode (abbreviated 720p) or 1920 × 1080 pixels in interlace mode (1080i). Each of these utilizes a 16:9 aspect ratio. (Some televisions are capable of receiving an HD resolution of 1920 × 1080 at a 60 Hz progressive scan frame rate — known as 1080p60 — but this format is not standard and no broadcaster is able to transmit these signals over the air at acceptable quality yet.)

19. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I just got a 42" Samung LCD 1080p (HDTV) I love it. No matter what you get go with 1080p, That is all I can say.

20. Trey

Trey Active Member

I had the same bulb for 4 years and I leave the TV on all the time, even when I'm not in the room. ;) It was replaced though.

Buy MY TV, you won't find a better deal anywhere!

link in sig...... ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  21. it would cost way to much to ship a 60" tv to south mississippi

22. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

73" mitsubishi DLP hdtv 1080p

$2500 at frys

GET IT~!