quattroporte/s-class/e-class BLUETEC/lexus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Dec 11, 2007.

?

which used/new luxury sedan would you drive?

1. Audi A6, A8

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. BMW M5, 5-series

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. BMW 7-series

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Lexus ES, GS

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Maserati Quattroporte

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. MB S-class

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  7. MB E-class BLUETEC (diesel)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

my dad is looking for a luxury car at around 60K and because our family as a whole has never had a chance to buy something so expensive, we just have no clue..! he's got a GS300 with around 200k miles now, and he is the type of person who puts fusion tires on his lexus instead of michelin all-seasons or bridgestones.. so, because i knew he just wanted a car that can pose in front of his clients (real estate) and not break his wallet, lexus was an ideal choice for the first luxury car because the parts were relatively cheaper than german makes, not to mention that it hasnt had a SINGLE problem for 120K miles. but now, he wants a MB s-class (probably the generation before the current one) and step up (even though i KNOW for a fact he`s gonna go put cheap tires, and everything cheap to get by haha- he uses reg. engine oil instead of synthetic on his lexus :eek3:)

my dilemma is that, if he is going to buy a luxury car to pose in, i`d really like for him to purchase the maserati quattroporte. i see used ones for around 60-70k, and i think that is a superb deal. however, the idea of maintaining a car with a ferrari engine freaks me out (financially) and because he drives long distance all the time the car has to be reliable. it will surely stand out anywhere you go though... i mean how many s-class and 7-series do you see everyday compared to a maserati?

another good alternative is the E-class BLUETEC (diesel) and that car gets 35 mpg, and it has laser cruise control, etc. it's the best compromise for our family, but it's not as unique and pretty like the maserati. same story with the lexus ES and GS. we were looking at the GS hybrid, but the gas mileage is not as impressive as we thought. and my dad and i both agree that ES is just a prettier camry.

but then again, maybe we`re not ready to move up to the high-end luxury cars yet if we fringe at expensive tires, gas mileage, etc. our first car in america was a 84 VW sedan that was literally falling apart haha.

if you guys have some suggestions, please let me know.

2. mokinbird87

requirements:

it's gotta seat at least 5-people comfortably, decent gas mileage (preferably 20mpg+), prestigious brand name, reliable.

3. welery

welery Member

I recently helped a family friend with a situation similar to this. The Quattroporte is a nice car, but transmission in the older model is simply brutal. It shifts hard and is very hard to park as the throttle is very sensitive. The cost to replace the clutch in it is insane as well.

My friend decided onthe S class. I'm no fan of Mercs but the new one is NICE. the 550 is a powerhouse and can be had for a little more than your price range.

The BMW is nice and if you get a certified one it will come free scheduled maintenance for the first 50k.

4. welery

welery Member

you can drop the A6, M5, 5 series and E class

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

GS430 FTW or LS460L FTW!!!

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

7. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

^ ya I drove an 04. The new ones i bet are even nicer.

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Are the MB bluetec diesels even here in the states?? I didn't think they were.

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

I love the late 90s-early 2000s 7 series BMW (like the one in The Transporter). I think one of those in black is the hotness. But then again, for 60k, you could probably get 2. For a new car, my vote is an Audi.

10. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Mb E63 Ftw!!

11. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I have driven and evaluated all the cars in the list. The Masserati is my favorite, so sexy and a Ferrari V8, but i don't think the car is best for a high milelage daily driver. Maintenance on the Masserati will be expensive. The BMWs are a great driver but not the best on room. I agree that the lexus s are cookie cutter- but what a nice cars they are. The Audi 8s are really sharp and all the owners I have talked to had previously owned 1 of the other cars and likes the Audi better; as do I. My favorite is the S class. But I only like the new body and with the massage seat option you can't go wrong.

Have you guys considered the Jags(Not talking bout S-type what a joke). In the past they had reliability issues but they seem nice now and with the Aluminum V8s they are super smooth, lexus-like but Jag. I know several owners and they don't complain about mechanical problems.

12. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

Are you referring to Manual or Auto mode. I agree the car drives hellaceous in Auto mode but in Manual mode the hard shiffting and sensitive throttle is greatly appreciated! Yehaaa!:naughty:

13. mokinbird87

we dont want anything close to ford in our luxury vehicle haha. i actually think jags look really nice, but it's not pretty enough to get yourself into reliability issues. for example, you know the maserati is not gonna be as reliable or cheap to maintain compared to the lexus, but it is soooo good looking.

14. mokinbird87

i think they are now... it's on their website along with some of their SUVs offered in diesel.

15. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

Asian old man= S-Class sedan. Thats what my parents have. Its the only way. Not sporty but extra luxury. S550!

16. Demo24

Demo24 Member

yep, just not fully 50 state compatible. I've actually seen a few around in the area they are kind of distinguishable but you got to be looking for the differences.

honestly if you want a good highway cruiser then get the bluetec. Will get the best fuel economy out of all those listed and should be comfy + quiet on the inside.

17. welery

welery Member

Yeah, but thats not what his Dad is going to want. He's asking about what his dad should get. Not what we like. Other wise I would say M5.

18. welery

welery Member

That car is insane fast to be that heavy...

19. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

he needs one of these... with the leather option of course.
    [​IMG]

20. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

toyota century v12

[​IMG]

21. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

^^^that is PIMPtastic

I want one...

22. Alex

or junction produce ls 460

[​IMG]

23. wrxin8or

how about the alpina b7
    [​IMG]

24. welery

welery Member

60k Alpina B7.. I think nots!

25. Alex

lexus is bettah

26. wrxin8or

dude that bigass bimmer does 0-62 in 4.9 seconds...only .1 seconds slower than a brand new M5...

27. Alex

yean and then? if his dad puts crap tires on the car he probably wont care for the power or the required maintenance that comes with it.

28. wrxin8or

the thing is, I doubt you could find crappy tires in those sizes...

29. Demo24

Demo24 Member

dude, the jaguars of today are some very reliable cars. The only ones that even had basis in the ford parts bin was the x-type, which was generally ok but not considered a 'proper' jag.

I think the new XF is one awesome car! Looks awesome inside and out, and it will be something different from the rest of the crowd.

and the new M5 isn't really all that smooth either

30. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Stop the presses! He could be the first one on the block to own Hyundai's first luxury sedan!

Hyundai Genesis!
    [​IMG]

31. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

lexus is never bettah!!!!!!!! I HATE lexus

32. treece10

treece10 New Member

honestly i'd choose between the M5 & the S 550

but if you want to have something that will be the best for him & his job - the bluetec is the way to go.. my roommate sides with this view

33. mokinbird87

damn that's nice!!

34. mokinbird87

sorry even koreans dont drive korean cars when they are looking for the very best... dont get me wrong, i think the recent sonata, elantra, and the veracruz is amazing, but not for a rear-wheel drive luxury sedan

35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

m5 .. its a great all around car!

36. Alex

century is JDM only, sorry.

although a heavily modified and built version of the centurys v12 block is in TopSecret's 254mph supra

37. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Ha ha it was a joke. I hate Hyundais. They just make an econobox with styling that looks like cars twice as expensive. Get a Maybach!

38. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member