08 STI vs Shelby Mustang GT

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RamblinWRX, Dec 18, 2007.

1. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

2. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Great Article! Man, I hate Mustangs...

I love how they made fun of the ponycar's non-functional hoodscoop (a personal hobby of mine):
    [​IMG]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. Meredith

Meredith Banned

i'd take a FS shelby over an AS 08 STi anyday of the week....

4. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I also love how the STI hit 60 in under 5 seconds. That's about as fast as a 911 Carrera, and 1/3 the price.

Vive le Subaru!

5. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

eh? what does FS/AS stand for?!

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

out of the 46 categories scored in this test, the STI gave up only two to the Shelby: as-tested price and quarter-mile trap speed. It tied or won every single category in our 27-point evaluation, dominated when it came to feature content and was every editor's personal and recommended pick. That's kicking some major ass.

7. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

She is referring to autocross classes, A-stock and F-stock

meaning in: In stock* form, the Shelby GT is a better autocross car than then STi.

*stock = scca classing structure, allowing for these mods: DOT race tires, catback exhaust, front swaybar, front swaybar and alignment.

The Shelby GT has the ability in stock* form to be a better handling autocross car. It corners a lot flatter, and doesn't have massive understeer issues like the STi. It also has the ability to run wider race tires in stock form.

If I was going to do stock class racing, I definately would pick the Shelby GT over and 05-08 STi.

But.. add coilovers and other mods the the STi, and IMO it is a better autoX car. It just sucks in stock form, and the Shelby GT comes with stiffer springs/sways in stock form.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Thanks for the explanation Brian!

Still hate mustangs tho.

9. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

only american cars I really care for are the good ole school ones...new american just doesn't do it for me...

10. Meredith

Meredith Banned

i dunno this whole test is comparing apples to oranges...... what's next "let's see how well a mustang rallys"?

11. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

But the apple costs the same as the orange!

12. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yep, same price, but different market.

I don't really like mustangs, but the Shelby GT does look remarkably good on an autocross course.

13. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah I'd definitely take the shelby over the sti.

Like previously said though, the STi and the Shelby are two completely different kinds of cars.

14. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Me too. The love the look of the new Mustangs. Hate the STi.

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You want to compare Apples to Oranges, the other day, I was watching something like Test Drive on Mojo HD TV. They were testing Travis Pastranas STI vs Drift Guys Pontiac Solstice vs a Mig Jet.

It was the most retarded comparison I had ever seen. What a waste of time.

16. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

haha, who won? :)

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Solstice fastest around track. STI best handling, only because it took the Mig something like 1 1/2 miles to make a u-turn, but the Mig won most hp.

18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

what did it put down on the dyno

19. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

They figured the thrust was the equivalent of 6400hp.

Yeah. It was idiotic.

20. Deke

Deke Active Member

So I was thinking about this some more this morning and realized this tes wasn't between what I thought it was. I was thinking they were comparing the STi to the Shelby GT500. Hence my initial confusion when they were saying it only put down a little over 300 hp. I never realized they made just a Shelby GT (they should have called it the GT250 since they are going with the old school themes). Meh, either way, I'd still take the mustang.

PS, 30 minutes and a dremel and that hood scoop becomes functional :)

21. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Thats not the point. What kind of company puts non-functional scoops on their cars?!? All it does is increase drag to look "cool." Its factory rice-out!

Even if it becomes functional, are you going to use that extra air for some HUGE horsepowas on that cast iron, SOHC 3-valve per cylinder motor from the 80's? Better hope that live rear axle can handle it! FORDS ARE POS's!!!

22. Deke

Deke Active Member

Boy I ought to smack you. You respect your performance car roots!

PS. I agree it's stupid that it's non functional. But I'd still take it over the STi. I don't care how much of a car snob you are, I defy anyone to get behind the wheel of a car with a powerful v8 and rwd and not have it put a smile on their face.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007