Bought a 2005 Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EJRex, Dec 24, 2007.

1. EJRex

EJRex Member

Just bought a 2005 Pontiac GTO... LS2 V8 with 400hp/400tq and a 6 speed ftw. This car is damn fun, and will be my daily driver for now. Only 23k on this bad boy. Sorry for the 1st blurry pic :hs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's stock for now, but that will change in a few days. First mod is an ECU programmer, then I'll go from there.

And no it won't beat my wrx.... yet. ;)

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

very nice!! I have always liked those.

3. EJRex

EJRex Member

^^ Thanks.. yeah, I'm excited about it.. drives really well, handles good to be 3700 lbs.. and of course, gotta have the 6 speed.. gonna have fun with this one, but the rex is still my baby :)

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've got a lot of love and respect for those cars. The previous owner of my car has one of the fastest automatic GTOs in the country now. I think I'll have to email him to see how its doing nowadays but last I heard he had just put in a 410ci stroker and was about to install a big nitrous shot onto it also. His SN is PadreGTO on most of the LS1 forums, PadreWRX on the subaru ones.

5. EJRex

EJRex Member

^^ I may have to check that out, see if he might have any pointers..

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

Sweet ride man...congrats!!! I love the sound the new gto's
    My choice of old muscle cars would be a 1968 GTO!

7. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Nice!
    I was looking at GTO's for a while but I couldn't find a nice used one with a 6 speed at a price that I could afford so I got the 92x instead

8. Meredith

Meredith Banned

If you could stick bigger tires/wheels on a GTO I'd be all over one! Still for the price of them lately, they are a sweet deal!

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice Chandler!!!

Looks great!

10. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Really nice car you got there.

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

12. EJRex

EJRex Member

^^ haha.. thanks for the props folks.. looking forward to a long and meaningful relationship (in the auto sense....jeez) with my GTO :)

13. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Nice!!! 6.0 :bowdown:

14. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

+1

15. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Nice ride homes!!

16. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Yeah he is the priest at my church. I've gone to the track and dyno with him before and his car is crazy fast. Here is the church/racing site. :rofl:

http://padrenet.com/

17. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yeah I remember you saying something about that at a meet a long time ago. How's he doing?

18. Matt

I thought padre lived in Florida....?

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

I wonder if the US GTO is as good as the Vauxhall version in Europe that Top Gear loves.

20. Matt

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  21. longfury

longfury Active Member

22. Matt

They being Pontiac, or they being Vauxhall?

23. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Ha... yeah Bobby it was at my 1st meet like two years ago. I saw him 2night at church and he's doing good. He still asks about your car too.

24. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Im sure there is one somewhere in fla. But mine lives in good ole Carrollton.

25. longfury

longfury Active Member

They as in GM/Pontiac. They could have made it less neutral/tail happy. Being able to get the tail out in a controllable fashion is the whole point of a RWD sports car/sedan.

26. EJRex

EJRex Member

It is, basically. The US based the exterior/interior design off the Holden (AU) and Vauxhall (EU) Monaro. GM/Pontiac threw in the corvette Z06 6 speed and WS6 suspension (then later the LS2 & 9 engines), and viola, thus born was the new GTO. :cool:

Sure, it leaves some things to be desired, but for the price I paid, it's a hell of a nice and fun car. ;)

27. longfury

longfury Active Member

Awesome, as long as its a powerslide king like the Vauxhall...

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Nice car man. They are heavy and piggy but sound mean as hell when cammed and exhausted.

I wouldn't mind one for a daily myself. What are you gonna do with the REX now that you have a daily? (Haha I find it funny the dude works for Honda and has yet to own one recently)

29. EJRex

EJRex Member

Plan on building the rex seriously now that I have another back up car.. ^^and yeah, I get that all the time.. "Why didn't you buy a Honda?" :p

My answer is always "when they make a turbo awd car, I'll buy one." As for the GTO, tell me any production Honda vehicle that has 400tq ;)

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ditto!

31. Weapon

Yea but Honda does have awesome quality. They are extremely reliable and get great gas mileage which is perfect for a daily driver. But I would also take the GTO just for the fun factor :)

32. Matt

didn't you end up buying a Mazda3?!

33. Weapon

nope. We got a Volvo XC70

34. Matt

so much for quality :keke:

35. Weapon

As far as I can tell it has a much better build quality than my old bugeye. :fawk: It's a turbo AWD and no lag with 236 lbs of tq at 1500rpms :) but we are talking apples and bananas here. We got it for the safety of the family more than anything though.

36. EJRex

EJRex Member

True for Honda... but I don't drive far to work, and as a former tech, I can fix almost anything that might happen with the GTO, so it's all fun factor for me. ;)

37. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Looks like fun! Post up some good pics of both rides together.

38. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I hear ya man. I like the s2ks but my 6'3" body does not fit in them well at all. Congrats on the GTO. I have always liked those. A corvette heart in a cavalier body = Yeeeeehaaaaaaw!

39. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

a really heavy cavalier :rofl:

but sweet car, liked them since they came out....especially the 6.0 :ddirty:

40. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Nice! I've wanted one for awhile but I have yet to drive one.

I think I remember reading on some forums that it's not too hard to ditch a good bit of weight in that car. Something that comes off in the back is all that comes to mind though. I think the guy doing the write up lost over 200 lbs in his car!!

41. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Bah, i hear this so much.

As a pretty hard core car enthusiast, even my DD has to offer some form of auto-motive entertainment(wether that be a sweet sound, a fun punch in the seat of the pants(insert gay pun here), or some entertaining handling) along with the normal dd pleasantries(comfortable, decent mpg....ac lol). Even better if it does all of the above. No honda can do that except for an s2000, and its not comfortable or big enough to be a good DD.

42. schneid

schneid Member

hmmm...itr, gsr, rsx-s, civic si...?

not the fastest but they do all the above that you listed IMO

43. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Heh, not quite my idea of sounding good...actually they are on the bottom of the list for sounding good and power...and the interior of those cars are still quite noisy...and fwd in general is FTL.

Pretty much all round NO in my book, they do handle quite nicely.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  44. EJRex

EJRex Member

I will say this.. after adding a simple handheld diablosport tune, the gas mileage went from ~20 to ~25mpg, and then added approx 30whp... This car is an awesome all around daily driver, even if it's a bit heavy... sure doesn't feel like it when you hit the gas though ;)

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Put the NOS on it and enjoy! It will like the NOS more than your Suby!

46. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Nice car man...I like the 6.0's but like FACE said, I really like the older Goats..like 65-69. My friend here in MD has a really sweet 65'.

Mark

47. EJRex

EJRex Member

^^ absolutely agreed. 69 GTO and the 70-71 Judge FTW.

48. EJRex

EJRex Member

Haha you read my mind.. it's already in the works bro. 125hp (adjustable) wet shot. :)

49. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

dang! nice ride. I have always wanted something with an LS1/LS2/LS-something. I think that I want to get a C5 Z06 sometime in the future.

enjoy it!

50. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^Yeah, me too... I really want Trey's Supercharged Z06... Nowhere near a financially sound decision for me though.....