iPod Connection

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WRXsai, Jan 2, 2008.

1. WRXsai

WRXsai New Member

Is there anyway to play iPod or any mp3 with the stock headunit beside using FM transmission? Or it is just simpler to change to a headunit that is iPod ready? Any suggestion is appreciated.

2. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

My wife just picked up a Belkin FM transmitter and the sound quality is poor.

I tried multiple frequencies and the audio sounds compressed with a lot of FM static in the background.

She has a tape deck in her car too so I think we're going to try to switch to a cassette adapter.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

There are a few adapters that will allow you to use your head unit (I know Kenwood has one...) but they are often as expensive as replacing the head unit, if not more expensive. You could look into an FM Modulator.

4. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

you radio has to be mp3/ipod compadable. i bought a HD radio last year that was ipod ready and all it is is a cable that run from the back of the radio into the console under the radio, cane go in the glove compartment because of the air bag, and plug into you ipod. i am trying to remember the brand i have, the cable cost me maybe 5-10 dollars plus installation.

radio cost me $120 i think for the head unit i believe, maybe less, i know the HD tuner cost alot more.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

FM Modulators suck. Don't waste your time with one of them, unless you don't mind radio quality sound from your iPod. If you have a tape deck to your stock system, get the tape connector. If not, you are better off buying a new HU with iPod hookup.

6. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

ok alpine makes radio faces that are ipod ready, which is what i have all you need is the cable which icant find a picture of to show you.

this is kinda it but it depends on your radio. http://www.discountjungle.net/productimage/thumb_2645.jpg

you are going to have to get a new radio if you still have the stock one for it to be the best quality

420, i have use and ipod with a tape deck adaptor and its still not great quality, plus you cant keep your ipod charged. with the HD radio we have in the WRX i plug in the ipod and forget about it, i control everything from the head unit and it keep my ipod charged.

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Right, Ideally, the best thing to do is the just upgrade the HU. However, if someone is looking for the ultra cheap solution, the Tape adapter, if their Stock HU has a Tape deck, is far superior to the FM Modulator. Now, in this case, I don't think the Tape Adapter is even an option since the OP has a 05 WRX. I believe that was the first MY that they switched to the straight 6 disc without Tape.

8. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Yeah I tried the FM Transmitter, but could not find a clear station that worked all throughout Atlanta. I am currently running the Tape Adapter with a cigarette power adapter to keep it charged. Sound Quality is not amazing, but I have a loud exhaust so it doesn't matter that much anyhoo. I think the tape adapter with the charger is the best bang for your buck.

9. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

i agree that is the cheap alterantive, cause thats what i am having to do with my SVX. but if later you want to upgrade then yes going the other way is better.

10. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

If you really want to keep the stock HU, check out NASIOC audio section. There is a mod that you open the radio and hack audio lines and "Y" them from the CD player to get an aux input. You then play a no audio CD (sold with the adaptor and instrucitons) to get your aux in.

I just bought a new head unit and adaptor cable. Total cost me about $200.

11. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I have a 6 disc head unit, but I think I might actually try to get the iPod ready unit for the 07's...

Yeah you get royally fuxored but is it worth it?

Actually I might just go with something else. How can anyone ever decide such a thing? :D

12. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

i wanted an HD radio, and the ipod cable was a bonus add. which was like $40 for cable and installation now that i think about it.

13. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

2007 HU accepts Aux in and plays MP3 and SAT ready

14. WRXsai

WRXsai New Member

Thank you Davidwrx, Neal of SOG told me that it can be done on a stock HU but he doesn't know exactly how, you clear all the clouds around my head. The only reason I want to keep my HU is because it is a 6 CD in dash changer and I like the sound quality, but now I'm sure I'll be better off just to buy either an Alpine or a Pioneer unit that is iPod ready, and I think the ones with the USB interface should be the best and the most direct (or fastest).

FYI, Neal also told me that Subaru only started to have their stock HU iPod or mp3 compatible beginning from 2007 (sometimes I think Subaru's marketing is very retarded although they have great engineerings) and if I wanted to get one in my 05 will cost $1,800 !!!

Also while I was researching on NASIOC yesterday there was a new thread about the cleanest look on iPod integration with lots of pictures, very interesting.

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  16. WRX_SVXGirl

WRX_SVXGirl Member

dont get the ones with the usb interface! a friend of mine had it and he said it was horrible.

17. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

If you get an Ipod ready unit, there will be no need for a CD changer. I thing the sound quality in aftermarket units is probably better anyway.

One suggestion is that I would recommend you try to take an Ipod and connect to the ones you are looking at to see how the interface / radio controls work. While mine works as it should, it is difficult to scroll quickly. If I want to get to an artist in the middle letter range, I end up having to press a button 100 times or so (I have a lot of music on mine). I have a Pioneer 4900 or something (it was about $170 at circuit city). I am ending up using playlists mostly.

18. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

My Kenwood with USB interface is awesome! I use it both for playing my IPOD as well as playing WMA files off a flash drive and its fast/responsive and sounds great! Older HUs had speed issues with the Ipod, the newer ones from Alpine, Kenwood, etc. should be just fine.

19. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I did the jazzy board mod and love it! The cable comes up through the seat heater blank caps, just drimmeled a hole in one edge.

It's a lot better than any FM transmitter. It's been working for me for months with no complaints. Was relatively easy to install.

20. JDM

JDM Member

Go to any Circuit City or Best Buy or any car audio shop. They can install iPod adapters for $50.