Scott Siegel this is for you...hahaha

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

LOL....what did Scott set on fire

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

so that's how he dances? :rofl:

But that sure brings back memories.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

Climbatize FTW.

*yes I know the vid is Firestarter*

5. Doug@DBW Motorsports

expect to see a post on it later today

6. slowwrx

LOL is this about the shell

7. WJM

WJM Banned

oh no3s.

8. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Negative on the shell ghost rider.

A customer brought us a car for tuning, that had alot of work done by another shop out of state. To make a long story short the work was sub-par. We spent 10hrs fixing all the noticeable issues with the just to get it in a condition that we could tune it.

The shop that worked on the car prior to him bringing it to us had installed a Perrin fuel rail kit. All the top fuel lines that went to the distribution block were the perrin supplied Good-Year fuel lines. What we couldn't see was the shop must have ran out of the good-year lines because they used heater hose on the lower fuel lines under the intake that connect the two rails. They also covered all the fuel lines with fire sleeve making it even less noticeable.

That is until the heater hose (fuel lines) decided it wanted to burst covering the entire engine bay and underside of the car with fuel... which then led to it catching on fire.

Pretty interesting way to start the day..

Cliff Notes: Don't let an incompetent shop work on your car or touch anything that has to do with fuel lines. IE: don't use a 2ply heater hose for a fuel line.

EDIT: PLEASE KEEP THIS ON WRXATL, WE WILL BE MAKING A POST LATER TODAY WITH PICS!!

9. slowwrx

10. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I'll do a whole write up in a bit...

Siegel

11. WJM

WJM Banned

^thats a good one.

12. siegelracing

So, like Doug said, we went over all the vacuum lines and things, EVERYTHING was wrong. The Perrin fuel rail kit is pretty straight forward, and everything visible looked good. The lower lines all had "Fire Sleeve" on them :D

So I got it running last night, started tuning on it, took it to the gas station, put a few gallons of gas in it... Got on the highway and did some pulls... With the Hydra's, you have to do some work on cold-start, so as usual, I drove the car home so I could work on cold start in the morning.

So this morning I go out and FIRE up the laptop. Start the car, sure enough it's real rich with 55 degree coolant temps. So I'm sitting in my driveway working on the coolant temp enrichment table and...

BOOM!!!

Flames, like real orange FLAME, SHOOTS from the hood-scoop, I'm like "Oh my gosh." I turn the key off, reach for the turbo timer button, and FLAME LICKS UP THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CAR.

"Oh DANG!!!" I jump out, and think "FIRE BOTTLE"... "IN THE GARAGE..."

I run to the garage and the stupid keypad needs to pressed really slowly, or it freaks out for a bit.

So I SPRINT to the front door, throw it open, go tearing through the house, out to the garage, get the garage door going up, start frantically searching for the fire bottle. I know my big 15lb pit bottle is near the door, but I don't see it....

"KITCHEN FIRE BOTTLE!!!!"

I sprint through the house, grab the little 5lber and sprint out of my house.

SPRAY, SPRAY, SPRAY, out..... :(

"HOSE!!!"

I run back onto the porch, turn on the water, go back over the railing with the hose and spray the car down.

It melted the under-body, side-skirt, bottom of the front bumper, and some other stuff. We'll be going back for pictures soon...

My big fire bottle was right next to the door, but it was in it's cardboard box... now I know why fire bottles are RED :D

The customer fully understands that this was entirely on the other shop.

DON'T LET RANDOM SHOPS INSTALL YOUR FUEL-SYSTEMS!!!

Please don't send this around yet, we'll have pics of the fuel lines up tonight.

Siegel

13. WJM

WJM Banned

Random shops.

14. cannarella

cannarella Member

Holy Crap. How fast did this all happen? That's nice that the customer understands.

15. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

~we didn't start the fire...~

16. slowwrx

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Its the new Topspeed theme song

17. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

18. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

car tuning is a now officially a dangerous profession

19. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

ROFLMAO... what a godamned nightmare. sounds funny though :p

20. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

:rofl:

21. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

but seriously, is there any recourse for liability to the other shop?

22. siegelracing

He was already suing the other shop for some other stuff. Part of what we were doing here was showing what was necessary to make the car run properly. I'm sure this is just going to be added to that...

Siegel

23. Brian

Brian Active Member

Where's the video? All that running around for an extinguisher and no video camera? tsk, tsk.

24. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

ouch, that sucks.
    yea i can picture all of it happening and have fire starter go along with it haha

25. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I lol'd at that story.

26. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

wow, what a story!!

27. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Geeez Siegel...glad you are ok and that it didn't turn out worse than that!..hope everything gets worked out for the customer!...crazy crazy!

28. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Ive never meet SS but I could picture it going down as I was reading it :eek3:

29. longfury

longfury Active Member

Where are those pics?

30. siegelracing

I'll be taking them this morning as it gets light.

31. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Wow, I'm glad the car + your house didn't go up!

32. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

33. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

Only you can prevent forest fires.

34. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

The sun has been up since...umm...like FOREVER!!! Where are the pictures?

35. siegelracing

See new thread.

Siegel