Just got a new tv!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gte123v, Jan 18, 2008.

1. gte123v

gte123v Member

Well, I ordered it, so I guess technically I don't have it...yet. It's suppose to be the best 120HZ 1080p TV out there, but we'll see how that holds out. It's a Sony 52" XBR5, it looked freaking awesome at the store I had to have it :naughty:. It has the 120HZ refresh rate along with what they call motion-flow to get rid of motion judder during fast moving scenes, especially sports programs. I can't wait!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

sweet man, superbowl party at your place this year? I'll bring the pizza

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm having the hardest time picking out a new LCD tv. That screen fuzzy irritates the piss out of me. What do I need to look for other than the 720p/1080p to keep the fuzzy/pixellation down?

4. gte123v

gte123v Member

A 120Hz tv will fix some of those fuzzies when it's something moving across the screen. However, the pixellation you see depends on how close you are close to the tv, maybe when you are at a store looking at them you are standing too close. The minimum distance should be about 1.5 times the tv screen size. Also, when you are at the store, make sure they are using a true HD signal that is at least 720p on the TVs, b/c normal signals look like crap on HD TVs.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Awesome! I'm taking the plunge soon myself... It is a DLP? How much did you spend(if you don't mind)?

6. gte123v

gte123v Member

It's a LCD, and it came out to be around $4k :eek:hnoes: with taxes.

7. cannarella

cannarella Member

You are going to get graininess on non HD broadcasts no matter what when viewing on a large screen.

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

A quality input source. ;)

Only HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can do it, everyone else compresses the crap out of their signal so you are going to see artifacts either way.

9. Trey

Trey Active Member

Man that's crazy flow. :D

I got my Sony KDS-60A3000 60" RPTV LCD 120MHz, 1080p with motion flow for $1700 shipped on Black Friday. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like yours but it still looks stunning.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. gte123v

gte123v Member

I looked at the samsung ones too, not too sure if they have the same XBR chip, but the samsung screens are very reflective, almost like a plasma, didn't like that very much. Then when I had them turn samsung's version of motion-flow on like on football game, it had the infamous "ghosts" like I read in all the reviews.

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

oh, well i haven't really seen them to be honest. and no the samsungs don't use the same chips. just the same exact screens. the only thing that differs is casings and chips.