Alcantara and Suede Wrapped Steering Wheel Thread -- The day has come, wheel is in!

Discussion in 'JPM Coachworks' started by JPM Coachworks, Jan 15, 2008.

1. JPM Coachworks

JPM Coachworks Registered Vendor<br/>Its delux son, delux. Supporting Member

I am proud to announce that genuine Suede and genuine Alcantara wrapped wheels are on the horizon for everyone. The price point for these will be quite reasonable :D It it is important to note, however, that for this level of material quality and crafstmanship the price point will not be "cheap" by anymeans. Nevertheless, we pride ourselves on offering a quality product at reasonable value. We understand the importance of your funds and we only hope to deliver to the level of quality you and your Subaru truly deserve!

Unlike many wheels you may find that appear similar or claim to use similar materials our wheels will be backed by a warranty. We do not consider products found on eBay to be of similar caliber. We do not consider companies who claim to use "Alcantara-like" or "Suede-like" materials such as Ultraleather to offer similar quality products. We do not price match to these type of companies. Never settle for inferior products :)

We happy offer a two year, unlimited mileage warranty on all our products. On occasion, we will extend warranties on a prorated basis if you can prove to us that you maintained your product correctly, following proper care and maintenance.

With all of the above out of the way, I would love to see how many WRXAtlanta members are seriously interested in a steering wheel. The turn around time is around 1 week and I have 1 core which I can provide to you in the meantime if necessary. Additionally, WRXAtlanta members will receive a % discount on this product as well.

Photos to come soon!

Cheers,

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Yay!!

3. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm interested, but what's the target price?

Also, I have an idea for another product that'd be super easy to make with leftovers(I think). I'd *really* like shift knob cover for cold mornings. Something that goes off/on easily. Maybe a pouch with elastic to hold it on. Just an idea. :)

5. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

An elastic shifter condom?

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

It would be good for hot afternoons too.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

just get a lathe werks knob and all of your problems will be solved :)

8. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

i would really enjoy this! If you can give me a ballpark price I'd give you a better answer, but I'm extremely interested!

9. dontcallitarex

Resin knobs FTW.

And yeah, i wanna look into getting my wheel wrapped, too.

THAT, would rule.

10. Alex

Sure would, with some more blue stitch and all!

11. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Hopefully this isn't like the Subaru warranty. I'm sorry sir, you used your steering wheel while exceeding the speed limit and eating Cheetos. We don't cover that.:keke:

I'm interested.

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

probably wont be covered....Cheetos are nasty and will mess up the suede/alcantara

13. Alex

Suede, like any leather product, requires proper care. Think of suede shoes :)

Alcantara also has its own care instructions, and is a little more resilient to stains and easier to clean.

Long story short, you have to ensure that your hands are quite clean. Its the oil from your fingertips and your cheetos & such that will kill this :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll second this!

15. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I keep a beer coozie in the car just for that. And in case I need a beer coozie on the go.

So you have to wash your hands before you drive your car? That seems kind of... annoying.

16. wrxin8or

I actually patented this idea, and you now owe me $5.

Thanks

17. Alex

I did not say you had to wash your hands everytime. If you have ever owned an aftermarket suede wheel you understand what I am talking about here. They deteriorate over time. My stock 04 STi leather wheel looks like garbage now, I could wrap it in softer, more durable and higher quality leather but instead Ill go with a padded wheel wrapped in Alcantara or Suede for feel, looks and comfort.

The oil and acidity in the sweat from your hands is terrible for a lot of things, from your face to guitar strings to steering wheels. Just about anything you touch on a daily basis takes the brunt of the wear in the interior of the car. The wheel is particularly bad because of sweat, sitting in traffic, etc.

With the above said, what we will be offering is the perfect combination of a track wheel (suede or alcantara wrapped, thicker wheel, more grippy) and a stock wheel (airbag to protect your noggin, yo!). I find this is an unbeatable combination :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  18. Alex

Brian,

Ill think about your idea today :)

19. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So maybe each wheel should come with a set of...
    [​IMG]

Wait, doesn't wearing gloves defeat the purpose of having a soft-gushy steering wheel?

20. Alex

Technically no. The point of the suede is to provide more friction against the gloves which you are undoubtedly wearing while you are racing. Suede palm'd gloves on a suede or alcantara wheel would be extremely sticky!

I debated offering a set of gloves with them, but it would only raise the cost and everyone is always fickle about glove choice and fitment.

I simply suggest that if you think your hands are dirty (eg just got done working on your car and you are going to go out for a drive OR you just finished a chick-fil-a nugget pack and fries) that you wash them ahead of time. I suggest this for your currently wheel anyway, it will keep grease and other things off the wheel, extend its longevity and prevent it from slicking up on you.

21. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

in for pics/pricing!

22. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

I'd love to see pics as well!

23. Alex

Pics soon ;)

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Tis true. My G-Force $39 gloves on my old CRX's Momo wheel was incredible. When I'd jump into the STi on a nice day as soon as I tried to turn my wheel my hands would just slide. It was like someone put grease on my wheel. And the CRX didn't have power steering! Leather gloves on alcantara feels like velcro.

Waiting on a PM with prices...

25. jesus888

jesus888 Member

I'm also very interested... you think Germ-X hand cleaner would work? Like if you find yourself in a situation where you can't wash your hands after eating something messy, would germ-x (alcohol based) make you A-OK to not unecessarily wear out your alacantara steering wheel? just a thought...

26. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I got that idea from Bobby (GTscoob). So he owes you $5 too.

27. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Can I have $5?

28. Alex

General pricing points will be available next week, as well as photos, etc.

29. Cyclon36

Cyclon36 New Member

This wheel is teh hottness. I know a guy that bought this wheel and he won the lottery the next day. He was also invited to a threesome with Jessica Alba and that chick with the three boobs from Total Recall b/c word of his wheel purchase got to hollywood and the hollywood folk are into that sort of thing. He told me "Dude, Jessica Alba and that girl with the three boobs from Total Recall totally want to reverse cowboy me on the hood of my car while touching my new wheel. I was kind of freaked out at first b/c that girl from Total Recall is like 90 years old now, but every guy in the world wanted to do her back in the day, plus Jessica alba would be there!" So he totally went for it.

Turns out it was just some girl that looked like Jessica Alba and this lady that actually had three boobs b/c she had some sort of genetic birth defect.

They totally loved the wheel though!

30. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

we are into the next week already, price and pics or BAN:wiggle:

31. wrxin8or

joe...you need to lay off the crack pipe, ok?

i know cocaine is a helluva drug, but it is not good dude...

32. Alex

We didn't start the fire (SS did!)

[​IMG]

33. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

WoW that looks bad ass

34. dontcallitarex

It was always burnin' since the world's been turnin'...

And yeah...that looks so badass.

35. Matt

Please don't put that song BACK in my head...I just got it out!

:rofl:

that does look great.

36. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I would rather have that song stuck in my head right now instead of Benny Lava. Damn it Brett. Why? :naughty:

37. Matt

I would rather have Benny Lava stuck in my head....oh, and YOU'RE the one who kept starting it over!!

38. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

looks great, will look better with a black air bag ;)

by the way, is that grey stitching? cant really tell

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  39. Alex

That's silver, yes.

40. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

mmmm.... black airbag with blue stiching.... maybe pink/red.... yeah... I likey!

PRICE YOU FOOL!!!!

41. Alex

For all 04 owners, you could easily dye the material on your airbag cover.

42. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I think I could stand to look at the grey airbag with that nice wrapping on the wheel itself.

Looks very nice.

43. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Me likey I can has?

Seriously Alex im broke stop coming out with all that hottness :rofl:

44. Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for a kickass product!!!

45. Alex

Glad you like it :) You can write a review on the site when its online!

46. JPM Coachworks

The price has been set! If you are interested in having your steering wheel wrapped we have an 04 STi and a 05 STi core. If you do not have one of these wheels you will need to either provide a core or provide your wheel.

If the line is short, I can loan you one of the other cores for the time being.

47. JPM Coachworks

All PM's replied to!

48. JPM Coachworks

YUH! ;) Padded for the ultimate thickness and wrapped w/ genuine jet black alcantara with OEM match "cherry blossom red" stitch on bottom and black on top (04 oem sti style).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. Alex

50. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

That's so hot!! Too bad I sold my car or you would be covering an STi V3 Nardi!