the reason behind the 'softer' sti?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

2. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

i like the idea of combining subaru suspension + toyota hibrid

3. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

interesting

4. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I think that the whole reason the sti is softer, is that they want to appeal to a wider audience. Unfortunately, the average buyer isn't into hardcore sports cars.

5. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

fyi, scott kanemura who wrote that used to work for prodrive

6. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

I would buy it

7. mokinbird87

so this info is pretty legit then huh

8. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

A mid-engined Suby? yes, please!

9. mokinbird87

i think this new 'subieyota' should equip a double-wishbone structure at the front.. the only reason why i think the sti doesnt have the upper arm is because the rally version jumps 8 ft up in the air and has to absorb all the shock, and i dont think the upper arm would last doing jumps.

however, this is exactly why i am soooo excited about this new car; sti was always brilliant on the dirt, but not so great on tarmac (where we drive most of the time) because, well, it was engineered for off-road. but this new celica replacement utilizes the 'good bits' of the SUBARU and Toyota: there will be 2 versions offered, and the less powerful one will be powered by an n/a 2.0 boxer with REAR wheel drive, the powerful one equipped with a turbo boxer + toyota hybrid technology and AWD.

The thing that i`m mostly interested in is that they are re-locating the engine..:bowdown: I dont know if it's going to be possible with the AWD layout, but if it works out, we might have the MOST balanced subaru in history (although it's not 100% subaru haha). Just imagine how well a Front-Midship boxer AWD would handle...all that engineering + toyota gas mileage? i hope it goes onto production :sx:

10. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i wouldn't go that far

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

this is the 4th or 5th time i've heard this. too often to be just a rumor

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I like the whole idea because Toyota is aiming to help Subaru improve production and operation efficiency :) Like the new Indiana plant.

13. gte123v

gte123v Member

if the engine is going to be placed any where in between the two axles then the awd system won't be symmetrical anymore on at least one axle. Unless of course if they only use electric motors in just the front or the back and only gas on the other axle.

14. mokinbird87

that's wut i would do if i was the engineer... have the boxer motor in the middle and the electric motor in front. Hell, that would be a really nicely balanced car.

15. Demo24

Demo24 Member

just because it's a subaru motor does not mean it's going to be AWD. the article specifically states that it will be rwd, thus the engine can be as far back as they want to go and keep passenger space. I suspect it will be just behind or right on the front axles.

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

it says the 300 hp model will be awd and mentions electric motors for the fronts. Im sure by the time they go into production the two models will be very similar, I doubt they would make one fr and the of the mawd, thats practically making two different cars.

well, I take that back, look at the Lancer and the Evo

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Where are they going to put the batteries in this hybrid/awd midship car?

I don't really trust hybrids just yet... but what about the turbo diesel subaru H4? That is a car I can get excited about~!