Max occupancy for a rental house HELP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mckenzietj, Feb 6, 2008.

1. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I need to know the laws for occupancy for a rental house, not apartment, as soon as possible if anyone knows. Here's my situation, I have 9, yes that's n-i-n-e:naughty: children, my wife and myself looking to move to a rental in the Alpheretta area. HUD says only 2 to a bedroom for an apartment but I have not got a return call for the rules for a house. DEFACS said it's ALL b.s. as long as the space is adequate for the number of people. The realtor I'm using said her boss says the law is 2 to a bedroom in All rental properties, but they said they could "fudge it and get me into a 5 bedroom" b/c by their view it should be 6 bedrooms.. wth. I was about to put an application in on a large 4/2.5 that would've worked out well but now I can't get staight info. If anyone KNOWS what the law is or knows or is a real estate attorney PLEASE post up!:eek4:

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

wow....9 kids? thats insane dude haha.

I have no clue, so Ill just bump this up for ya

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

The law is the same for any rental property. The state of Georgia occupancy standards are a maximum of 2 people per bedroom for both apartments and houses.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

There's your answer, and he should know, he is in that industry

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

can you just nnot say you have 8 kids?

6. welery

welery Member

This guy is correct. Some cities have even stricter laws

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I believe the law only applies to unrelated people. With families it is different.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Interesting point

9. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

Thanks for all the replies! I checked with HUD and according to their website (Federal Register vol.63 no.243 page 70257), the 2 per bedroom is a GUIDELINE and not a steadfast rule. Size of bedrooms and other living areas should be taken into account, as well as ages of children. However, it does say that state and local occupancy laws would supercede the federal regulations so... if you know of a state or local law requiring a maximum of 2 per bedroom, please tell me where I can find it. I can't find anything on the net, and defacs says no such law exists... my real estate agent says there is one, but she doesn't know which law or where. Alternately, anyone know of a 6 bedroom apartment/mansion for rent in alpharetta for $1400/month:rofl::sx::rofl:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Not looking to buy?

11. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Alpharetta? That's not going to make your drive any better. Thought you were looking for closer to marietta area?

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

i gotta 3 bed townhome for sale in kennesaw. and the mortgage is right at 1400 a month. but obviously wouldn't suit your needs.

although, you would be neighbors with KingWrex! that in itself is worth checking out!

13. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I currently own but am trying to relocate to the 400/85 area and want to move out to sell my house, that will be easier for me. Then I want to save for about 2 more years for a larger down for a larger house than I could get right now. Also if the job market on that side of town isn't what I want it to be I can easily relocate again. I would like to try out some of the Subaru dealers is one reason I'm going over there.